Obi-Wan Kenobi (spoilers)

Obi Wan is going to own Vader later on in the series, likely using some Qui Gonn technique, and put Vader in his place with 'One last lesson'.

I'd wager my starship on it.
Exactly. The whole point of the series is it's a redemption arc for Kenobi.

At the beginning he has lost his faith. His faith in himself, his faith in other people, his faith that the Force can make things better.

By the end he will have his faith restored, enabling him to become the confident powerful man we meet in ANH (or Rebels). And this will be symbolised by him giving Darth one last lesson.

I would just like to point out that Kenobi believing his mission to destroy Vader had succeeded makes his decision to send Luke to live with his family make a lot more sense.

The discovery that Vader is alive is a double failure for Kenobi, since it makes it clear that Luke is in much more danger, should Vader ever learn of his existence.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Should Vader be retired if James Earl Jones can no longer do the voice? He sounded better in this than in Rogue One. I hope he had a cold or something that day.

I thought about it; I kinda want to see Neil Nunes take over.

It's getting review bombed on Rotten Tomatoes at the moment.

Main critiques:

1) They ruined Obi-wan 'like they ruined Luke' by making him a sad, weak, disillusioned old guy who cant do anything anymore, and is 'not the story I had in my head-canon', and

2) There is a black woman in the show, so that's just more Disney 'forcing a political agenda on us'.

So the usual suspects.

We're a victim of our own Fandom with Star-Wars, and with that fandom being overwhelmingly male nerds lacking EQ, it spawns a real toxic and vocal element being very visible at times.

Should Vader be retired if James Earl Jones can no longer do the voice? He sounded better in this than in Rogue One. I hope he had a cold or something that day.

It wasnt JEJ.

They used an AI program, which reconstructed JEJ's voice from audio data from the movies (and elsewhere), and blended it with hints of Haydens voice (which you can just make out if you listen close enough).

That's why it sounded so damn awesome.

He's credited for the same reason Hamill was credited in Boba Fett/ Mando (they used the same program to fake Hamills voice as well in those).

It's their voice... just recreated with a computer.

Marc Radle

Legend
It wasnt JEJ.

They used an AI program, which reconstructed JEJ's voice from audio data from the movies (and elsewhere), and blended it with hints of Haydens voice (which you can just make out if you listen close enough).

That's why it sounded so damn awesome.

He's credited for the same reason Hamill was credited in Boba Fett/ Mando (they used the same program to fake Hamills voice as well in those).

It's their voice... just recreated with a computer.

Are you sure about that?

I’ve just read articles about this from CNN, Deadline, Daily Mail, TV Line, and a number of others, and they all confirm the James Earl Jones did the voice and recorded all the dialog. There was no mention of it being created using AI or being combined with Hayden’s voice.

Some of these did say that Respeecher — the same company that digitally modified the dialog Mark Hamil had recorded to sound more like a thirtysomething Luke Skywalker’s voice for The Mandalorian and Boba Fett — provided “Voice Conversion Services” for this episode.

Yora

Legend
Vader "When last we met, I was but a learner. Now I am the master."

Obi-Wan "What about that fight we had nine years ago? You were pretty damn impressive then."

Vader "Oh yeah, I nearly forgot about that one. You were pathetic then."

Obi-Wan "Hey, at least you stood around while I got away. Thanks, mate."

Vader "Yeah, well, there was fire. I'm a little nervous around fire since you... burned my limbs off and left me for dead."

Obi-Wan "You did that to yourself. I warned you, I had the high ground!"

Vader "... Now you will die, Old Man!

Obi-Wan "Strike me down, Darth, and I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine!"
Several years ago I've come to the conclusion that I hate prequels as a concept in general. They do poorly at telling new stories, because everyone already knows how it all will turn out eventually, and so they end up being mostly references to stuff that is alredy known while simultaneously trying to upstage them.

Or as people in the business call it: Fan Service.

I am old enough to remember the glut of Star Wars products that was being cranked out in the 90s. But I feel that since then, storytelling has been replaced almost entirely by blatant fan service.

Old-Man-Yells-At-Cloud-the-simpsons-7414384-120-90.gif

MGibster

Legend
Obi Wan is going to own Vader later on in the series, likely using some Qui Gonn technique, and put Vader in his place with 'One last lesson'.
Yeah. Vader's got to lose this fight so the rest of the series can happen.

The discovery that Vader is alive is a double failure for Kenobi, since it makes it clear that Luke is in much more danger, should Vader ever learn of his existence.
"Now his failure is complete." -- Darth Vader

I don't have any objections to a different voice actor taking over. At some point, they'll have to retire Vader simply because they're going to run out of story. (And I just read that it wasn't Jones which makes me a little sad.)

1) They ruined Obi-wan 'like they ruined Luke' by making him a sad, weak, disillusioned old guy who cant do anything anymore, and is 'not the story I had in my head-canon', and
Which is a bad take on their part. We witnessed Obi-Wan lose almost everything and we see the kind of live he's been living for the better part of a decade. His character progression make sense and the story as a whole is new and interesting. I think they made a lot of mistakes with the new trilogy, but personally I would have liked to have seen Luke an an elder statesman type role like Yoda and Ben from the original trilogy.

2) There is a black woman in the show, so that's just more Disney 'forcing a political agenda on us'.
I don't quite get this either. But haters gonna hate.

I am old enough to remember the glut of Star Wars products that was being cranked out in the 90s. But I feel that since then, storytelling has been replaced almost entirely by blatant fan service.
I rememeber the glut as well. The stuff being produced today is heads and shoulders above what we got in the 1990s.

Yora

Legend
It was definitely simpler. And there was a lot of trash.

But I feel that the better works were really trying to recapture the essence of the original movies. I haven't seen any such thing since the last Jedi Knight game. We are now living in a world where the Clone Wars seem to be the central founding myth, not the Rebellion. Not necessarily narratively, but stylistically.

Remove ads