Obi-Wan Kenobi (spoilers)

Mallus

Legend
I enjoy watching the characters. So far I really like Obi Wan facing his traumas, and trying to reconnect with the force. His confrontation with Vader was something I was looking forward to, and not so much whether he lives or dies... because we all know he lives. But you don't need life or death stakes to create compelling television.
Yeah, for me the most compelling part of the show so far is Obi-Wan wrestling with PTSD (and the feelings he had for Padme?). When they raised the stakes in the traditional way for an adventure story by putting Vader on-screen, I found myself reaching for my iPad.

Last edited:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Leia is the only part my wife and I are enjoying. Obi Wan? He's spent ten years not helping people at all. Apparently no one can go around gates or fire in that galaxy. And they can fly anywhere in minutes. Ugh on that last part. It could be taking place on one planet and they couldn't travel that fast.....

MarkB

Legend
And they can fly anywhere in minutes. Ugh on that last part. It could be taking place on one planet and they couldn't travel that fast.....
That's always been the case in the Star Wars universe. Travel between star systems is measured in hours at most, even across half the galaxy.

MGibster

Legend
How is that not dying?
You're technically correct, which might be the best form of correct. But that crummy movie was written for the Trek torch to pass from the original crew to the next generation, so Kirk's death was no surprise. It's kind of like counting Arthur's death in Le Morte d'Arthur or Beowulf in, uh, whatever story he appeared in. It's the end of story, what else is going to happen? However, Trek should get some credit in other areas. I was sure as heck surprised and traumitized by the death of Spock in 1982's The Wrath of Khan. I still remember little six-year-old me holding back tears as Spock tells Kirk, "I have been and always will be your friend." I was also genuinely surprised when Tasha Yar was killed off by a sentient and malevolant Magic Shell though it didn't quite have the emotional impact as Spock's death.

Mallus

Legend
How is that not dying?
What I meant was Jim Kirk had many adventures where we all knew he'd survive to the end credits.

"Stakes are a relative thing when you're talking about TV series and media franchises. It's why Game of Thrones stood out so much - the folks you thought were protagonists could die.
Well… I recommend it. It’s a great film!
I'm looking forward to seeing it but I'm being cheap. I'm waiting for it to hit a streaming service I subscribe to or go on sale on iTunes!

Remove ads