Level Up (A5E) Object interaction, spell components, unarmed attacks and hand usage

CapnZapp

Legend
You're talking about three things at once here: hand usage, hand freedom, and component tracking. Let's break 'em out.

Component tracking, except for those components that carry a monetary cost, is a pain. I've already conceded this, and noted the 3e idea of the 'components pouch' is a good compromise: if you've got your pouch you've got whatever minor components you need.

Hand usage mostly applies durign combat, and sometimes during exploration: tracking what is being carried in which hand. The rules have always said (quite rightly IMO) that - for example - sheathing a weapon and drawing another takes a certain amount of time, however that particular edition measures such (a segment, an action, whatever). What you seem to be proposing is to take away that time, which has the end result of having everything a character can carry in effect be in its hands at once, one thing per hand - whatever you need >poof< it's there. I can get behind a magic backpack having this ability, but beyond that it verges on ridiculous.

Hand freedom is another thing again, that only really matters to casters. Here the issue is whether casters can cast while bound or being jostled or attacked or are otherwise hampered in their movements. Below you state this hasn't mattered to most tables for thirty years; I'll give you twenty years instead, i.e. since the release of 3e and the corresponding gleeful player-side acceptance of its colossal blunder on this point. My point is that it should be made to matter again - you can't cast if you're restrained or under attack, barring a very few spells noted as exceptions. Once this is done, some spell nerfs can maybe come off.

A5e seems to want to go more complex, not less. Not sure how this fits. :)
Thank you for your reasoned reply.

Thanks for conceding the point on (material) component tracking. Unfortunately, that kicks in an open door, that is - that's not what I'm talking about; I'm simply assuming Level Up will never go back to that rigamarole, just like how many groups skip tracking of every other trivial expenditure, such as ammunition (note the part about trivial cost before you think I allow infinite Arrows of Slaying).

I am specifically arguing that 5th Edition should never have forced players to keep track of which hand goes where, and that Level Up has the opportunity to rectify this.

That does not mean that I want characters to be able to "carry everything at once".

It means that the core assumption should be that...
  • a Fighter, Paladin or War Cleric might fight with sword and shield and thus has zero hands free
  • a Fighter or Barbarian might fight with a greataxe and thus has zero hands free
  • a Ranger or Rogue might fight with two daggers and thus has zero hands free
This shouldn't be the handicap it currently is (unless you simply ignore the complicated rules)!

I use the phrase "weapons loadout" to mean a characters primary (secondary...) weapons configuration, but the general term is "loadout". Other loadouts include:
  • making one hand free in order to retrieve a potion, and then drinking it (or administering it to a dying comrade)
  • keeping both hands free (in order to swim, climb, etc)
etc

...and, crucially, the system doesn't care about this handicapping them when it comes to opening doors, holding torches, drinking potions and the like. That is, no edition of D&D ever has taken these things into account. A Zorro-like Fighter isn't rewarded for keeping one hand free to a degree that comes even close to the DPS or AC lost by not picking up something (a second sword, a shield, ...) in that hand.

Furthermore, assume nothing of value is lost by skipping the subtleties involved in switching weapon loadouts; that the only reason for having detailed rules here is inertia, nostalgia and simply not giving the issue a long, hard look.

Just have a single action "switch loadouts"!

This action is to be used for every hand usage change. So instead of keeping track of what goes in which hands, simply let players describe loadouts:
  • fighting with sword and shield
  • fighting with bow and arrow
  • climbing, swimming, ...
and so on.

5E is far too friendly and simple (or at least, should have been!) to ask players to track the exact amount of actions and time involved when changing from loadout to loadout. Nobody cares about the way in Pathfinder 2 it takes longer for a character wielding two daggers to drink a potion (and get back to action) than a character with a greataxe (because releasing the grip is free, but sheathing a dagger isn't).

In particular, get rid of the cheesy "I drop my weapon, use my hands for something, then pick up the weapon from the ground" routine that 5E characters do use even in the middle of heated combat since a) dropping something is free and b) picking something up from the ground doesn't take longer than drawing it from your sheath.

Your argument, making spell components matter again, is on its own, fine. I'm afraid the genie is out of the bottle, however, and assuming Level Up won't go in your direction, my greater argument is: drop the finagly component rules entirely! That is, I'm not directly arguing against you. But you miss my point - as long as Level Up keeps the current level of complexity (or lower), get rid of using components to significantly modify spell usage.

This goes right back to my earlier discussion of loadouts.

Don't give a War Cleric spells that force her to mess around with hand usage! Assume she needs her hands on her mace and shield to do her job, and then give her tools that are compatible with doing that job!

There certainly can be exceptions, but then make them few and clear: write specifically in every spell given to a War Cleric "this spell requires you to first use the Switch Loadout action to gain a hand free".

This makes the action cost much much MUCH more up-front and clear. This makes the game much simpler (for those groups that haven't already skipped the rules anyway, their eyes glazing over when reading about object interaction...)

This also makes it clear when and where exceptions are needed.

For instance, I predict the Level Up designers will conclude that asking you to spend three actions just to drink a potion (switch loadout, use item, switch loadout) is far too expensive, and so I envision a special "Administer Potion" action:

Administer Potion: You draw a potion either from your own pockets or that of an adjacent ally. You then either drink it yourself or pour it in the mouth of an adjacent ally (unconscious or not). This action includes any hand interactions needed, which in game terms mean you don't need to perform any Switch Loadout actions before and after taking the action. In short, the action doesn't require you to have any hands free.

If it adds value, the game could even create a special category of actions that all waive any hand requirements. Besides "drink potion" I nominate "open door" for inclusion in such a category.

Having the two daggers fighter be considerably slower in running through a series of rooms with closed doors than the single-sword fighter just doesn't make sense in the context of 5th Edition. Differentiation on that level should be consigned to the dustbin of history, much like how we allow D&D crossbows to shoot every round or how D&D heroes never need to go to the bathroom or how D&D heroes bounce back at 100% capacity after being healed a single hit point from unconscious!

Thank you for reading,
Zapp

CapnZapp

Legend
This takes away the sometimes-painful choice a martial caster has to make - whether to drop/sheathe weapon and cast, or keep fighting and not cast.

5e's easy enough on the players/characters. Let's not make it any easier! :)
My point is:

Object interaction is a shadow from a much more involved and complicated game - it doesn't belong in a game as easy as 5E.

If you want to nerf casters, Level Up can easily do that without retaining complicated legacy clutter from a twenty-year old edition! (y)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Thanks for conceding the point on (material) component tracking. Unfortunately, that kicks in an open door, that is - that's not what I'm talking about; I'm simply assuming Level Up will never go back to that rigamarole, just like how many groups skip tracking of every other trivial expenditure, such as ammunition (note the part about trivial cost before you think I allow infinite Arrows of Slaying).
Fair enough, though not tracking ammo on hand (even vaguely) can quickly be abused.

I am specifically arguing that 5th Edition should never have forced players to keep track of which hand goes where, and that Level Up has the opportunity to rectify this.

That does not mean that I want characters to be able to "carry everything at once".

It means that the core assumption should be that...
  • a Fighter, Paladin or War Cleric might fight with sword and shield and thus has zero hands free
  • a Fighter or Barbarian might fight with a greataxe and thus has zero hands free
  • a Ranger or Rogue might fight with two daggers and thus has zero hands free
This shouldn't be the handicap it currently is (unless you simply ignore the complicated rules)!

I use the phrase "weapons loadout" to mean a characters primary (secondary...) weapons configuration, but the general term is "loadout". Other loadouts include:
  • making one hand free in order to retrieve a potion, and then drinking it (or administering it to a dying comrade)
  • keeping both hands free (in order to swim, climb, etc)
etc

...and, crucially, the system doesn't care about this handicapping them when it comes to opening doors, holding torches, drinking potions and the like. That is, no edition of D&D ever has taken these things into account. A Zorro-like Fighter isn't rewarded for keeping one hand free to a degree that comes even close to the DPS or AC lost by not picking up something (a second sword, a shield, ...) in that hand.

Furthermore, assume nothing of value is lost by skipping the subtleties involved in switching weapon loadouts; that the only reason for having detailed rules here is inertia, nostalgia and simply not giving the issue a long, hard look.

Just have a single action "switch loadouts"!
Ah - now this makes far more sense. Up till now I was under the impression you wanted them to be able to switch "loadouts" (not sure I'm sold on that term) for free, whenever they wanted.

Putting it as a specific action keeps the time component but otherwise simplifies it.

5E is far too friendly and simple (or at least, should have been!) to ask players to track the exact amount of actions and time involved when changing from loadout to loadout. Nobody cares about the way in Pathfinder 2 it takes longer for a character wielding two daggers to drink a potion (and get back to action) than a character with a greataxe (because releasing the grip is free, but sheathing a dagger isn't).
Nobody cares? I care. :)

I want there to be a forced choice between taking the time to sheathe the dagger, or just dropping it for free at risk of someone kicking it away from you.

In particular, get rid of the cheesy "I drop my weapon, use my hands for something, then pick up the weapon from the ground" routine that 5E characters do use even in the middle of heated combat since a) dropping something is free and b) picking something up from the ground doesn't take longer than drawing it from your sheath.
If it's still there to be picked up and hasn't been kicked away, or you haven't been pushed away from it. Never mind that in a system with AoOs I'd rule that bending down to pick something up from the ground would likely draw an AoO from anyone in melee with you.

Your argument, making spell components matter again, is on its own, fine. I'm afraid the genie is out of the bottle, however, and assuming Level Up won't go in your direction, my greater argument is: drop the finagly component rules entirely! That is, I'm not directly arguing against you. But you miss my point - as long as Level Up keeps the current level of complexity (or lower), get rid of using components to significantly modify spell usage.
I rather suspect you're making the wrong assumption about Level Up's intended complexity level: it's specifically called out as being a crunchier version of 5e, which ironclad guarantees the complexity level will be higher, not lower. :)

Don't give a War Cleric spells that force her to mess around with hand usage! Assume she needs her hands on her mace and shield to do her job, and then give her tools that are compatible with doing that job!

There certainly can be exceptions, but then make them few and clear: write specifically in every spell given to a War Cleric "this spell requires you to first use the Switch Loadout action to gain a hand free".
We do the opposite: some War Cleric spells can be cast with full hands and-or even in melee, and those are specifically noted in their write-ups.

This makes the action cost much much MUCH more up-front and clear. This makes the game much simpler (for those groups that haven't already skipped the rules anyway, their eyes glazing over when reading about object interaction...)

This also makes it clear when and where exceptions are needed.

For instance, I predict the Level Up designers will conclude that asking you to spend three actions just to drink a potion (switch loadout, use item, switch loadout) is far too expensive, and so I envision a special "Administer Potion" action:

Administer Potion: You draw a potion either from your own pockets or that of an adjacent ally. You then either drink it yourself or pour it in the mouth of an adjacent ally (unconscious or not). This action includes any hand interactions needed, which in game terms mean you don't need to perform any Switch Loadout actions before and after taking the action. In short, the action doesn't require you to have any hands free.
Were it me I'd have it take much longer to get it into the mouth of an ally, particularly if unconscious. What you propose is fine if you're drinking it yourself.

Also, keep in mind how much someone can do in 6 seconds. In that time I could see sheathing a weapon and pulling out a potion; but getting it opened, drunk, and my weapon back in hand? That's pushing it. (also, has the game ever really defined how much actual liquid is in a potion? If a potion is shooter-size then drinking it quickly makes sense; I've always imagined them as somewhat bigger than that - volume maybe about halfway between a shooter and a can of beer - which means drinking one isn't going to be quite as fast unless one wants to risk choking on it)

If it adds value, the game could even create a special category of actions that all waive any hand requirements. Besides "drink potion" I nominate "open door" for inclusion in such a category.
You don't need free hands to open a door provided your booted feet are available. :)

Having the two daggers fighter be considerably slower in running through a series of rooms with closed doors than the single-sword fighter just doesn't make sense in the context of 5th Edition. Differentiation on that level should be consigned to the dustbin of history, much like how we allow D&D crossbows to shoot every round or how D&D heroes never need to go to the bathroom or how D&D heroes bounce back at 100% capacity after being healed a single hit point from unconscious!
1-per-round crossbow shots are another example of legacy rules brought forward for no good reason. When rounds were longer, one shot per round made sense; with 6-second rounds 1 per round is way too fast. But, it benefits the players, so in it stays.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Fair enough, though not tracking ammo on hand (even vaguely) can quickly be abused.
Ammo tracking for mundane ammo is mostly a waste of time. Weight allowances are so generous you can just go in with a silly amount of arrows & completely sidestep any possibility of running low on all but the most megadungeon forevertrek expeditions. Arrows are counted individually so they give the illusion of being important but mechanically are nearly irrelevant while numerically thwartingthe GM's ability to timeskip past uninteresting parts of a dungeon crawl (or whatever) straight to the next interesting/meaningful choice with some resource burn that makes it look like some time has passed doing stuff. A much better method is to use an ammunition die where the player writes an ammo die rather than ammo count & rolls that die each time they shoot that weapon... if it's anything but a 1 the ammo die stays the same, get a 1 & it drops a size ie (d8>d6>d4>1>0). It results in ranged characters having some uncertainty & risk of bad luck while still giving them a very reasonable amount of ammo to burn through.

Ah - now this makes far more sense. Up till now I was under the impression you wanted them to be able to switch "loadouts" (not sure I'm sold on that term) for free, whenever they wanted.

I want there to be a forced choice between taking the time to sheathe the dagger, or just dropping it for free at risk of someone kicking it away from you.

If it's still there to be picked up and hasn't been kicked away, or you haven't been pushed away from it. Never mind that in a system with AoOs I'd rule that bending down to pick something up from the ground would likely draw an AoO from anyone in melee with you.
I do too. This kind of 3.5 table 8-2 stuff is critical for inclusion because it's trivial to just handwaive & ignore at your table if you want to ignore it for a campaign/session/encounter but extremely difficult to bolt on after the fact without playing "bob's system" or having it feel like calvinball.
1598645026838.png

1598645091726.png

&
1598647166603.png
I rather suspect you're making the wrong assumption about Level Up's intended complexity level: it's specifically called out as being a crunchier version of 5e, which ironclad guarantees the complexity level will be higher, not lower. :)
I get a little of the same feeling
We do the opposite: some War Cleric spells can be cast with full hands and-or even in melee, and those are specifically noted in their write-ups.
I disagree here though. I would rather see a war cleric using a particular type of focus that allows them to cast cleric spells & maybe even melee attack differently from what a summoner/healer type full caster-like cleric would be doing since it would allow more complexity within the focus items than a MC-bingo abusable class feature would allow while baking the glass/squishy aspect of squishy/glass cannon into something that can't be combined through MC & allow the magic capabilities going with it to really shine.

Were it me I'd have it take much longer to get it into the mouth of an ally, particularly if unconscious. What you propose is fine if you're drinking it yourself.
I don't know how I feel about the "switch loadout" name & agree that giving a potion to someone should be more of an investment than just drinking it yourself, but there's no reason there couldn't be an action type like switch loadout to go alongside "standard action", "move action", "full-round action", "free action", "swift action", and "immediate action" with drawing a weapon(or two for dual wielders), sheathing a weapon drinking a potion & giving a potion being one of those ones that normally provoke an AoO

Also, keep in mind how much someone can do in 6 seconds. In that time I could see sheathing a weapon and pulling out a potion; but getting it opened, drunk, and my weapon back in hand? That's pushing it. (also, has the game ever really defined how much actual liquid is in a potion? If a potion is shooter-size then drinking it quickly makes sense; I've always imagined them as somewhat bigger than that - volume maybe about halfway between a shooter and a can of beer - which means drinking one isn't going to be quite as fast unless one wants to risk choking on it)

You don't need free hands to open a door provided your booted feet are available. :)

1-per-round crossbow shots are another example of legacy rules brought forward for no good reason. When rounds were longer, one shot per round made sense; with 6-second rounds 1 per round is way too fast. But, it benefits the players, so in it stays.

[/quote]
the old light crossbow burning a move action & heavy burning a full round action made them feel viscerally different from bows & make other lesser weapons like thrown knives & slings serve a meaningful purpose rather than a line on the weapons list that everyone ignores in play. They brought it forward but removed the cost that made the others worth using. Opening a door dtakes more tan a foot if it has a doorknob/latch though ":D

Attachments

• 1598624489660.png
    1598624489660.png
    107.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 1598624650267.png
    1598624650267.png
    431.8 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
I must admit that table 8-2 comparison pretty much proves my point.

While a table of that detail might fit a game like 3E it its definitely out of place in 5E. Just like object interaction and hand management rules! :)

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I must admit that table 8-2 comparison pretty much proves my point.

While a table of that detail might fit a game like 3E it its definitely out of place in 5E. Just like object interaction and hand management rules! :)
I'm not sure because it seems like you are arguing two things. A: get rid of hand management & B: don't just replace it with something more elegant remove it from everything that currently requires it. B is problematic in the extreme for casters because it pushes casters away from squishy glass cannons with powerful spells back towards5e's blasting gish or feel lacking style since a gish must not have access to the kind of battlefield control/management or buff/debuff spells the squishy crowd needs in their toolbox.

CapnZapp

Legend
I'm not sure because it seems like you are arguing two things. A: get rid of hand management & B: don't just replace it with something more elegant remove it from everything that currently requires it. B is problematic in the extreme for casters because it pushes casters away from squishy glass cannons with powerful spells back towards5e's blasting gish or feel lacking style since a gish must not have access to the kind of battlefield control/management or buff/debuff spells the squishy crowd needs in their toolbox.
You really need to provide examples by this stage in the discussion...

(I'm arguing you need zero complicated hand rules in order to maintain casters as they're presented in 5E)

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
You really need to provide examples by this stage in the discussion...

(I'm arguing you need zero complicated hand rules in order to maintain casters as they're presented in 5E)
That's the problem. 5e removed everything that hinged on it and rebalanced spells to the limits of what is acceptable for gish types. That quest for simplicity for simplicity pushes casters towards being blasters & away from battlefield control/buff/debuff/etc because those spells are now tuned for something completely different & unhindered by all the old meaningful limitations. It's fine to rebuild the removed part & do things to restore those other routes to a more reasonable state but just getting rid of the vestigial bit & not replacing it with something new is admitting those other types of caster are badwrongfun & can not be fixed.

The reason hand rules in 5e are bad is not due to being "complicated", it's because they are absurdly pointless.

Stalker0

Legend
I'm going to try and organize CapnZapp's argument as I see it.

5e has generous object interaction rules combined with strange spell hand requirements. So many (if not most) players groups simply "handwave" the requirements by saying "the player swaps X thing out using free object interaction, casts the spell, and then gets X back in hand".

This leads to:

1) Player table imbalance. If your a table that does spells this way, you are going to see a very large difference in spell power compared to a table that really enforces hard hand requirements. A paladin for example, would have a completely difference spell casting experience at both of those tables, at one table they effectively cast spells with Sword and Shield in hand. At the other table they have to spend actions to swap out their sword and/or shield before casting the spell, and then actions to get them back. That is not a small difference, and one that is not good for the game. It should clearly be one or the other.

2) "Real World" absurdity. For players who want the game to mirror more real world physics, the "handwave" that some players use to free up their hands feels "absurd" and grates on their sensibilities.

From personal experience, I have played under 5 different DMs and 3 different "official gaming adventures". I never once seen a DM require a wizard to drop their staffs, or a cleric to sheath their weapons, to cast spells. So I would never say that "all tables" do it that way, but certainly a number of them are comfortable with the "handwave".

So CapnZapp's point is... lets remove the weird parts of the somatic component that vaguely might imply the need for open hands. The example would be:

Somatic: A caster must be able to move one of their hands in order to cast a spell with these components. The caster may have objects in their hands, but must be able to move their hands with the object to cast a spell. Example, a caster whose hands are bound, who is hanging from a ledge, or who has to keep one hand pressed on a magic symbol could not use a spell with somatic components.

So what this does is still allow for the "normal" means of stopping casters from using certain spells. If you have the wizard tied up, you can't use a spell. If they are hanging on for dear life on a ledge, they cannot use certain spells. But it removes the weird absurdities that occur with normal objects. A wizard carrying a wizard staff can use somatic components, no problem. A paladin with sword and shield can use somatic components, no problem.

Then, if we do want to make certain spells that really do require "complete unfettered hands", then we make that a special note in the spell.

Awesome Paladin Prayer of Awesomeness
Components: V, S (see below).

Special: To use this spell, the caster's hands cannot be holding anything, or touching anything.

And then to Lanefan's point, 3e and 5e casters have it "too easy" to cast, which is one of the reasons they have become so powerful. I think this is a fair statement, but its not in contradiction to the point made above....because if the restriction was designed for power balance, its already failing as many tables simply ignore it. So remove the weirdness, and then if you want to add more restrictions, add new clear and concrete ones.

For example, you could add a clause that says.

"Casting a spell in melee provokes Opportunity Attacks. If any of the OA hits, the spell does not go into effect". Now whether you think casters need that or not is debatable, but I think the use of this at a gaming table would be pretty clear and consistent (aka a DM who did not do this would know they are making a house rule, instead of simply an interpretation different from the normal).

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Thank you Stalker.

My argument is more directed at the current situation in 5E, and less on providing solutions. (That's Level Up's job!)

My argument is:

5th Edition inherits a bunch of rules from 3E that is out of place in a game as friendly and straight-forward as 5E
Moreover, removing them has no detrimental impact on game balance.
They once had, but no longer
Therefore, just get rid of them, and offer a much more streamlined replacement in line with the other rules of 5E :)

Remove ads