D&D 5E Obvious Attack Cantrips That Should Exist

Cantrip ideas:

True strike: Make a melee or Ranged attack adding Int mod to hit and damage instead of str or dex

Dark magic attack: short ranged necrotic and psychic attack

Combust: target is lit on fire (no roll) amnd takes ongoing damage (save ends)

Cloud of daggers: conjur a small zone that deals 1d4 damage to anyone in or passing through it

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I don't think any character made with the play test materials has had insufficient choice for available cantrips, and only the druid lacks a great regular offensive spell. With the very limited number of spells available already, adding choice here is not going to effectively increase diversity of casting options for any individual caster.

There are two fundamental changes I would make, however.

1. As I have argued elsewhere on these boards, I do think that attack cantrips shouldn't use the caster ability, but should require a ranged attack roll (so +DEX rather than spell casting ability to hit). That means that not all casters will be effective with attack cantrips. For me, that makes the choice to use attack cantrips a build choice (the player has to want it and invest character resources in order to do it effectively), and not something that all casters do equally well.

2. I would have a cleric attack cantrip that required a roll to hit (rather than a save to avoid, as with Burning Hands). I think a roll to hit (again, my preference would be using DEX) is more fun for players -- it may not be so for all, but I do't see why it's excluded. Let's allow laser clerics in the game (even if only for selected domains -- again, requiring a specific build choice).

Finally, for those wanting a fire-based cantrip, there is one that exists already -- Fire Seeds for druids. It feels underwhelming, though, and I've not seen it chosen in play. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has actual experience with the spell in play.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I do think that attack cantrips shouldn't use the caster ability, but should require a ranged attack roll (so +DEX rather than spell casting ability to hit).
I could get behind that.
Finally, for those wanting a fire-based cantrip, there is one that exists already -- Fire Seeds for druids.
Arcanists need a fire cantrip, too, IMHO. It's iconic. It isn't an accident that every arcanist in the Once Upon A Time TV shows flings around little (like Lesser Orb of Fire size), non-explosive fireballs, for instance.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Re: use of "Fire Seeds" in play: to my frustration, no.
I did build my 5E 12th-level Druid with the "Fire Seeds" and "Shillelagh" cantrips, but we only played one encounter with those characters at that level; and all of the combat in that one encounter took place underwater, so Yardon ended up never getting a chance to cast "Fire Seeds." (On the other hand, it might also have been that he was 12th-level: a Druid at that level wouldn't need to rely on attack cantrips very often.)

Re: Obvious attack cantrips that should exist:
Not all cantrips that should exist need to be obvious. If the Bard class were to have access to a "Misdirected Mark" attack cantrip that did limited damage on a hit, but that also caused the target to believe the real danger came from someone else, that would be very flavorful -- but hardly obvious.

It isn't an accident that every arcanist in the Once Upon A Time TV shows flings around little (like Lesser Orb of Fire size), non-explosive fireballs, for instance.

I think Once upon a time should be a great resource for new spells for D&D... the ability to rip out someone's heart and dominate them with it, then kill them is so awesome. I especially love how non fatal it can be...

Dark one is the Lich to end all liches, and he can cut his shadow off and send it on missions...

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Arcanists need a fire cantrip, too, IMHO. It's iconic. It isn't an accident that every arcanist in the Once Upon A Time TV shows flings around little (like Lesser Orb of Fire size), non-explosive fireballs, for instance.

Sorry -- I might not have been clear. Would a spell with the exact mechanics of Fire Seeds meet your requirement (regardless of the fluff -- little non-explosive fireballs is cool)?

If yes -- do it! The spell doesn't seem to be proprietary in any special way.
If no -- is it because it's too weak? If so, then I'd suggest it needs to be fixed (or other spells brought down in power, e.g. to 1d6).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Sorry -- I might not have been clear. Would a spell with the exact mechanics of Fire Seeds meet your requirement (regardless of the fluff -- little non-explosive fireballs is cool)?

If yes -- do it! The spell doesn't seem to be proprietary in any special way.
If no -- is it because it's too weak? If so, then I'd suggest it needs to be fixed (or other spells brought down in power, e.g. to 1d6).
Don't know- haven't seen much of the 5Ed stuff, and none of it in context. I'm just saying arcanists flinging tiny balls of fire is a good thing...something missing from most incarnations of the game, IMHO.

Rhenny

Adventurer
Finally, for those wanting a fire-based cantrip, there is one that exists already -- Fire Seeds for druids. It feels underwhelming, though, and I've not seen it chosen in play. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has actual experience with the spell in play.

In our campaign, the Druid uses Fire Seeds all the time, and everyone laughs at him. It is kind of pathetic.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Thanks, Neechen -- that was exactly my sense. I didnt take either combat spell for the druid I'm playing at the moment.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I don't like attack cantrips, I have no problem with Spellcasters not needing to restore to crossbows but having spellcasters being able to shoot killing spells at will seems a bit much for me.

My preferable attack cantrip is actually not an attack cantrip at all, I'd rather have the Mage being able to conjure a magical elemental effect, a small flame in the palm of the hand, a shard of ice, an eruption of earth etc, those effects should be as potent as a short sword or a dagger but not a bow, or a long sword.

My two cents

Warder

Remove ads