Odd idea for items in an odd game

Greenfield

Adventurer
I have a friend who runs a game at the local game shop. For whatever reason his players tend to run self serving hacks, characters who are looking for Exp and treasure more than contributing to story or going on grand adventures.

The group is about 6th level, average, and +1 type items are around, but they always want more. He tends to play crafters as people doling out a limited resource. That is, crafting items takes time, money and Exp. Money can come from the people who buy what he makes, but time and Exp are limited.

In the past he's tried to make this a driver for the game: "You want me to make a bow that fires thunderbolts? What have you done to deserve such a weapon. Complete the Duke's quest and we'll talk." Typically they balk, or they start then lose interest, and so no +1 Shocking bow comes out. After all, the rest of the party isn't getting a neat bow out of it, so...

Anyway, as we talked an idea came to me. Consider this approach...

"So, you want a weapon of power, one whose name will be recognized for generations to come?", asked the gnarled Dwarf. "I have such a blade. Meet my price and prove your worth, and the power and renown shall be yours."

"Prove my worth?", asked Ankaron, unsure of where this was leading. "I have gold, if that's what you mean."

"Aye, that will pay my price. All that's left then is to meet the price of the blade itself."

"What do you mean?", asked the warrior suspiciously. The Dwarven smith was well known for the cunningly wrought weapons that came from his forge, but was equally well known for his odd ways.

"Each blade needs a name.", The aged smith explained. "The blade I will give you will be fit for the hand of a master, but without deeds of renown it has no name yet. Prove that you are the master of this blade. Use it to win a great victory, the kind the skalds will sing of. Let it be baptized in blood and fire. When you do, you will know the true name of the blade. Give that name to the blade, and receive the reward you have earned. But know this: While each blade has a name, it will only have one."

In English, a magic weapon is made with a potential power, left unrealized. It comes out as Masterworked, and Magical +0. It has enough magic to bypass DR that calls for magic, and it can damage noncorporeal undead, but that's it.

After it's been used to earn a victory, the character gets to name the blade. Depending on how great the event, the bonus will be set at +1, +2, +3, etc. The Exp will be paid by the PC at that time.

If you claim the power after a minor victory, you'll get minor power. Bigger victories later on won't matter because once you set the blade's bonus, it's set and you're done. So after every big event you have to decide, do I set it now, or do I push for more?

This type of variable crafting can only be done by select NPCs. There are no set rules for the crafting costs, since the total bunus and power isn't known at that time. Sale price should be on the high side of average, say around that of a +4.

The goal here is to inspire the PCs to look for adventure, not just encounters. Grinding for Gold and Exp won't do it. You need to make a name for yourself.

Or, as the aged smith would put it, "Don't bother bragging, lad. You don't have a thing to prove to me. You have to prove your worth to the blade."

Thoughts?

Nagol

Unimportant
Buy 2. One to name as soon as you can to get a bonus (and pass on as a NAMED weapon for cash later -- they are after all rare!) and one to hold until you are facing a situation fraught enough that if victorious the name will be worth a higher bonus.

Painfully

First Post
Where does magic come from? Does it come from a wizard in a lab, or things like dragon's blood?

Magic items for me comes from time (older is stronger), and the source of magic (dragon's blood, a kiss from a goddess, phoenix feather, etc.) I certainly allow masterwork gear of all kinds, and consumable items are not uncommon, but to earn permanent magical abilities it has to be special.

Want a +1 sword? Start with a masterwork weapon, perhaps have it "charged" by a wizard to receive powerful magic, and then set out to kill a powerful boss like a demon. It becomes the demon's blood that fills the charge on the sword to complete the enchantment--not some old codger in a lab asking for money.

If you choose, perhaps the charge will last only a few months or a few years and wear off. Or, if they keep killing more demons, perhaps it "grows" into a +2 sword; or a demon's bane weapon; or a holy avenger. The power can grow as you need it to, which is a great way to prevent magical equipment trade-ins to satisfy PC's as they continually want stronger magic items.

If the sword is inherited, it can "reawaken" it's old powers with use. It's a great way to level up magic items with the character, even if the item is/was an artifact at one time.

Want a Cloak of Warmth? Kill a giant yeti, and take the hide to the right wizard who often deals with such creatures. A wizard who specializes in evocations might just make a fireplace rug out of it, but a transmuter could whip out a magical cloak in no time, right after you have it prepared by a masterwork tanner, and gather the right ingredients from an apothecary, before making you eat the yeti's liver...there should be so much more to getting somebody a magic cloak than just taking their money. This is the part where you can make it memorable, and even send them off to a few mini-tasks before they can get the magic item they want.

Ultimately, I see the most powerful magic as coming not from some old guy in a lab taking people's money, but from rare and wonderous sources that should be treated as such.

I wouldn't extract an XP cost, just because I would make them "pay" for their item in a more interesting way. That, and I don't like to have a group with different levels in the party.

S

Sunseeker

Why is it limited to only the glory of a specific battle? What better weapon than one that will travel with you, and grow as you grow, and not just be named but have many of them. At first you may only wield "Gorthak, Slayer of Orcs" but in time it may grow into "G'rathjar, Defiler of Mountains" a blade, and potentially it's user, who are known throughout the world by many names.

I would suggest almost a quasi-sentient blade. It grows to like what you use it the most for, so if "Barbaral, Butcher of Kittens" starts being used for the protection of innocent orcish babies, it may weaken. Perhaps like the One Ring, you might find it more and more difficult to locate after setting up camp, or find yourself more easily disarmed while wielding it. How it specifically could communicate this is up to you.

I'd simply like to point out that I find the "gear grind" both less driving and less necessary when you do not need to constantly replace your weapon every few levels.

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
Why not just offer them Weapons of Legacy? Let them build whatever they want within the confines of the rules and state that anything not listed in the book is a no go (please note that several powers listed on the premade WoLs do not exist upon the charts, but its easy to infer what category they lie within and should be open to the players. For example, Simple Bow's [pg 144-145] first power is Call to Hand. Clearly an A category ability and while extremely useful if you constantly throw your weapon or have a DM who loves to strip players of their gear, not game breaking.)

Remove ads