• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Odd-numbered ability scores

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Unless you have other odd scores that you care about, it is a waste. Otherwise, it would be better to raise one by 2, then the other by two, instead of raising each by one twice.

You're missing my point. The investment is worthwhile not only because you get to raise that odd score to even, but also by raising your even score to odd with your extra point you're setting yourself up to raise that score to even and still have an extra point you can use elsewhere the next time around.

Coredump

Explorer
There is no difference between a 14 and a 15. Yes if you add 1 to each you get 15 and 16.... which are different. But that doesn't change the fact that 14 and 15 are the same.

Right now every PC starts with all even stats if possible, and tries to never get odd stats.... there is no benefit. I think there should be a benefit to having a 15 instead of a 14.... not a big difference, but something.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
There is no difference between a 14 and a 15. Yes if you add 1 to each you get 15 and 16.... which are different. But that doesn't change the fact that 14 and 15 are the same.

The difference in potential is still a difference.

Right now every PC starts with all even stats if possible, and tries to never get odd stats.... there is no benefit.

Depending on your method of stat generation, it isn't always possible to avoid odd scores.

I think there should be a benefit to having a 15 instead of a 14.... not a big difference, but something.

There is a difference between a 12 and a 13, however, if it qualifies you for a feat.

S_Dalsgaard

First Post
I guess we play at very different tables. I and the players I play with have plenty of odd numbered stats. Besides, there are several feats (if you play with those) that grant a +1 to a stat. Wouldn't you want to "build" your PC to take advantage of those?

Back in 4e I liked keeping one stst even and one odd so every few levels when j boost bot 1 goes up... Starting with a 16 dex and 15 cha ment at level 4 that was 17 and 16 then at other 18 and 17 then at 11th 19 and 18

emdw45 said:
Not really, in fact the issue becomes worse at higher level because you have finer control of the granularity. How many 8th level PCs do you see with two odd ability scores? That's right, not very many, because it feels like a waste. Additionally, at high level there are magic items you can potentially find which set your ability score to 19. Why 19? Why not 18? What's the difference?

The difference is you're one point closer to that +5 bonus. It creates the situation where character concept is realized over the course of progression through multiple levels.

In this case though, your 19 Strength does not get you one point closer to that +5 bonus. You can't put on Gauntlets of Ogre Power and then "add +1" to that via ASI--your Strength is still 19 unless you have 20+ Strength naturally.

Which three dice would you roll that would give an average of 5.5?

1d2 + 1d2 + 1d4 will average 5.5, although I don't know why you're asking.

You're missing my point. The investment is worthwhile not only because you get to raise that odd score to even, but also by raising your even score to odd with your extra point you're setting yourself up to raise that score to even and still have an extra point you can use elsewhere the next time around.

Right, everybody on the thread gets that trivially obvious point. You don't need to belabor the obvious.

The Human Target

Adventurer
I fall more on the "in the d20 era why do we even have the ability scores separate from modifiers" side of things instead of trying to fancy up the odd scores.

Or if we're going to keep the 3 to 18 spread at least have it do something interesting.

Last edited:

I guess we play at very different tables. I and the players I play with have plenty of odd numbered stats. Besides, there are several feats (if you play with those) that grant a +1 to a stat. Wouldn't you want to "build" your PC to take advantage of those?

If it's not a problem for you, that's cool. But as a matter of aesthetics, there are those of us including myself who want the barbarian NPC with Str 17 to be mechanically distinct in at least some way from a barbarian with Str 16, not just at the metagame level (what he might be 8 levels from now) but right now. At minimum he should be better at arm-wrestling, right?

Again, if it's not a problem for you, it's not a problem for you. I'm not trying to tell you how to change your game, just sharing a house rule for the sake of anyone who's looking for one.

S_Dalsgaard

First Post
If it's not a problem for you, that's cool. But as a matter of aesthetics, there are those of us including myself who want the barbarian NPC with Str 17 to be mechanically distinct in at least some way from a barbarian with Str 16, not just at the metagame level (what he might be 8 levels from now) but right now. At minimum he should be better at arm-wrestling, right?

Again, if it's not a problem for you, it's not a problem for you. I'm not trying to tell you how to change your game, just sharing a house rule for the sake of anyone who's looking for one.

Fair enough. I guess I was trying to make the point that not everyone has a problem with it, but I get that that doesn't really help you :)

Remove ads