• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Of gishes and arcane defencers and whatnot: Is 4th ed. language for everyone?

herald

First Post
Actually I have seen articles from WOTC that leads me to belive that any combo class is a "Gish". Other converstations at the Last Gencon with WOTC reps lead me to believe this too.

Mystic Theurge
Arcane Trickster
Arcane Knight
ect...

All are would be gish classes. Ranger is kinda gish because it mixes stealth with fighting and spellcasting. The Paladin is sort of gish because it mixes fighting with spell casting.

Granted that Prestige classes are going away, but it sould like tree options might make some of these features appear.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Rechan said:
And the Thread title uses words like "Arcane Defender".

I don't think Gish is a 4e term, Wolfspider. The designer was making a comment. Jeez.

I wasn't making a comment about 4e. The use of "gish" to represent a generic fighter-mage originated with 3.0, I believe.

I'm not really sure what you're jeezing me about, really.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Numion said:
Gish got 2.65M hits on Google.

Yeah. And I went through 25 pages of links and never found one reference to RPGs or fighter-mages.

Using this criteria, a gish in D&D is a member of Smashing Pumpkins.

Hmmm....

Maybe bards will be in 4e after all. :p

Storminator

First Post
Wolfspider said:
Yeah. And I went through 25 pages of links and never found one reference to RPGs or fighter-mages.

Hmmm....

Maybe bards will be in 4e after all. :p

Oddly, if you remove Smashing and Pumpkins from the search, the number of hits goes up to 3.5M... none of which seem to mention fighting-man/magic-users.

PS

Cam Banks

Adventurer
I'd like something to kill gish and take its stuff.

My brother in law actually says "lol" when talking on the phone, and the expression "w00t" won an award this year. The linguistic world is going to teh hellz0rz.

Cheers,
Cam

pawsplay

Hero
Wolfspider said:

Or Scottish semen.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads