• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Of gishes and arcane defencers and whatnot: Is 4th ed. language for everyone?

BadMojo

First Post
Sqwonk said:
What is CoDZilla?

It means "Cleric or Druid-Zilla". First time I ever saw it was on the Character Optimization boards at the WotC forums.

It could also be a giant, angry radioactive fish.

Jack99

Adventurer
BadMojo said:
It means "Cleric or Druid-Zilla". First time I ever saw it was on the Character Optimization boards at the WotC forums.

It could also be a giant, angry radioactive fish.

Yes, it is a reference to those two classes being wtfbbqpwn'ish. ;)

Werebat said:
Then again, I'm an English and ESL teacher and fond of deciphering the meanings of high school, hip hop slang, and multilingual terms. I think I have ranks in Decipher Script.

Smo fo buttah layin' to the bone, jackin' me up...tightly!

To keep this post on topic, I believe I have found the first ENWorld post that uses the term "gish" in reference to a fighter/mage. http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=96219&highlight=gish There have been many earlier threads that use the word "gish" in reference to the monster, and one user with the name Gish Makai.

Tewligan

First Post
Cam Banks said:
My brother in law actually says "lol" when talking on the phone, and the expression "w00t" won an award this year. The linguistic world is going to teh hellz0rz.
Ugh. When I was searching around for tattoo studios online, I immediately ruled one place out mainly because they used "Lol" in the intro on their main page. Idiots don't get to use motorized needles on my skin!

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
The funniest bit is that the term "gish" as related to githyanki military ranks referred solely to a fighter/magic-user 4/4, if my Fiend Folio isn't missing a few sentences. It's fascinating to see how such a specific bit of flavour has been blown up to such proportions (and gets argued about at such lengths, too). :lol:

mxyzplk

Explorer
Grumpy Old Fart said:
I'm just a grumpy old fart, trying to wrap my brain around this newfangled "Fourth Edition" game that all the young kids are chattering about these days. They tell me it's supposed to be easier to get into than earlier versions of D&D, but a lot of the terms I see bandied about don't seem to make a lick of sense. They sound kind of trendy and exclusive, and I'm afraid I'll never catch up to the trend. Should I keep trying to understand 4th ed lingo, or just go dig my grave and jump in already?

Yeah, it's an attempt to appeal to all those D&D-ignorant masses they want to attract by focusing on weird Wizards character-optimization board lingo. If that doesn't really make sense to you, well, same here.

The Ubbergeek

First Post
mxyzplk said:
Yeah, it's an attempt to appeal to all those D&D-ignorant masses they want to attract by focusing on weird Wizards character-optimization board lingo. If that doesn't really make sense to you, well, same here.

It's just a few workers who used the terms in personal remarks... *shrugs* Not unlike a clergyman with church terms, or a soldier with military lingo, etc...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads