• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Official Nostalgia Thread (thread necromancy)

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Silver Moon said:
105. The next issue of Dragon magazine was like a gift from the gods.

Whaddaymean was??? I'm lucky if I get 3 issues in a row. And I subscribe!!!!!! Every month is like a condemned man waiting on the governor's phone call!

Sorry..rant over...

Not sure what number we're on, but who can forget figuring out how large an area your fireball immolated, and not complaining about having to do so?

The Shaman

First Post
The leprechaun riding the lamprey in the Monster Manual.

Leading a fully-loaded mule into the dungeon.

Stat blocks that looked like this: "Skeletons (2) HP 3, 2."

Waldorf

First Post
thedungeondelver said:
What the hell do you mean "was"?

Prepare to live out the rest of your days looking over your shoulder, jack.

Meh. Kids these days don't know jack. I mentioned Gygax to some young know-it-all the other day and he just stared at me like I had referenced a polka band. Whomever gets their name on the books seems to warrant a reaction these days, but it's an unmeasured response, one they have little to compare it to.

In my book, AD&D 1e (pre 1985) was the last hurrah, but of course Diaglo would say that I'm wrong...

Shadowdancer

First Post
There were thieves, and they didn't sneak attack you -- they stabbed you in the freakin' back!

And assassins didn't need spells to take you down -- they just had to study your @ss.

jasper

Rotten DM
114. Jim is dead. Find a raise dead scroll. Roll to see if you mess it up because you are too low level. Then Jim has roll % dice. One red going 0-9 and one blue going 0-9 and you called which was high. And every one except Jim laugh and pointed when he rolled double zero because his con was only 16.

115. Rod of resurrection. Let see bob has elf and it a magic user how many charges does it take.

116. Same spell Name. Different Spell level. And different charts to the spell.

117. Dragons only had 88 hit pts and had to be sneaky to survive.

118. bards could take out a column of Sherman tanks. And did in Bob's world.

119. +2 backscratcher.

120. Blue bolts from heaven.

Zander

Explorer
122. You rolled for initiative each round.

123. Many gamers seriously believed that Runequest would topple D&D as the No.1 RPG because it had a "better system".

124. Games Workshop was an RPG store that sold White Dwarf, an RPG magazine.

125. Miniatures of humans, not dwarves were 25mm.

126. You had to use miniatures of dwarves for gnomes, because nobody made minis of gnomes.

127. Halflings didn't wear shoes.

Remove ads