• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Official Nostalgia Thread (thread necromancy)

TheGM

First Post
Greenstone said:
41. There were so few published adventures, EVERYONE you knew had played the same modules, over and over again in many cases, so if you said one key word, EVERYONE knew what you meant... "Quasqueton... Saltmarsh... Tsojcanth"... .

Hey! This was important in a world where we were portrayed as vile, evil devil worshippers by the ever-accurate and vigilant press!

I picked up one of my best gaming groups because I guy looked at me and said "Wow, working here must be like the Slave Pits of the Undercity."

I cocked an eyebrow and said "you play"

He said "Yep".

That started two and a half years of non-stop fun with a group of guys who are still my closest friends in the world.

TheGM

First Post
91. Skills where those optional things that freaks used from Unearthed Arcana and the Survival Guides, real players didn't need 'em.
92. Feats were what your character did in his lifetime, not the definition of what he could have done.

Aris Dragonborn

First Post
Ah, yes, those were the Good Old Days!

I've only got one, but......

93. By the time you advanced your character to 20th level (and possibly beyond), Waldorf would run screaming in terror at the mere mention of your name. :]

Bront

The man with the probe
94 Variable xp tables with little common sense. A Thief was always ahead of the curve, but a M-U was near last to start, and closed all the way to second near 8th-9th level, and then went back to near last again.

95 After 9th level, we didn't need any stinking hit dice. (Unless you were a monk)

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Aris Dragonborn said:
93. By the time you advanced your character to 20th level (and possibly beyond), Waldorf would run screaming in terror at the mere mention of your name. :]
I bow before your true old-skool-fu!!!

Spell

First Post
did anybody mentioned that combat rounds lasted 1 minute? it made perfect sense, to me!

what about armours giving you different AC depending on your opponent's weapon type? (logical, but man, it would have taken me ages to do all the work all the time...)

or monsters not have saving throws spelt out in their description? (i hated this last one, in AD&D)

Rev. Jesse

First Post
96. We always thought Gargoyles could beat up most dragons (since only +1 weapons and magic could hurt a gargoyle)

97. Eventually, our weapons lost their plusses when moving through the planes

98. There weren't any whinny teenie-boppers at the comic book store making lots of noise with their autocratic DM shouting out his made up rules. (err... wait a mintue, we were those teenieboppers! NO!)

99. The picture of the succubus in the index of the DMG.

100. How could you guys have forgotten the ROT GRUB?!?

-Jesse

babomb

First Post
Mark Hope said:
You know why you don't find treasure in every room in your silly dungeons and modules anymore? CAUSE WE TOOK IT ALL! HA!

This line seriously made me laugh until I cried.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Bloodstone Press said:
24. Balance?? WTF? 1st level characters adventured with 8th level characters, and they liked it!

I remember those days. Nothing better than the 9th level paladin tossing my 1st-level fighter/assassin/magic-user a +2 sword because it was worthless. Man, the scraps that could be collected just by hanging back, casting magic missile, and then throwing daggers.

Remove ads