[Old School Mash-Up] The City of the Sleeping Demon

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Melina seems confused. "I, I don't understand. All my life I have been told that no one survives the night in the city. How could this be possible?"

OOC: I was out of town with unreliable Internet, but I'm back now!

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Thuddar states, "Well, let's face it. A single unarmed person would not have survived the night. Several well-armed people used to fighting... that's a different story. So shall we see to your people now?"

doghead

thotd
Attila, Cleric of Droainon, the Goddess of Water and Sorrow and giant mutant spider.

"Before we go anywhere, I would like to go to the top and see what this city looks like. And what lies beyond. It may help in deciding what to do next."

Without waiting to see if anyone else is coming, Attila heads back out into the stairwell and proceeds to the roof. The spider fades from sight as she disappears up the stairs. While she is not expecting any more trouble, it doesn't hurt to be careful.

Electric Wizard

First Post
Wing, invigorated by the light of a new day, dons his armor and gathers his weapons while whistling an upbeat tune. Or he thinks it's a tune, because he's hopelessly tone deaf.

"I'm going to take some air," he says, turning to Melina.

"Now, little one, what can we expect to see here when the sun is high? Anything we ought to concern ourselves with?"

doghead

thotd
Attila, Cleric of Droainon, the Goddess of Water and Sorrow and giant mutant spider.

Once at the top (assuming that she gets there), Attila takes moment to just enjoy the sun and the feeling of being alive and, for the moment at least, free. After a few minutes, Attila proceeds with her investigation. She makes a slow lap around the roof, inspecting what lies beyond. She checks out the surrounding city, or its remains, looking for any signs of life, anything that looks interesting, and a any way out that doesn't involve wading through the murky water.

She checks out the land beyond as well, looking for any indication of the best way to head. She has a rough idea of which way they came*, so something in another direction would be preferred.

Occasionally she gathers up small bits and pieces from the roof and tosses them over the edge, watching them arc through the air before splashing down into the water below. Each one of them goes with a little prayer to Droainon. Little offerings she thinks of them as.

OOC: * I assume.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
OOC: The discovery in the stairwell might have changed Attila's actions, but I went ahead like the posts were written since there's no time-crunch going on. :)

"Before we go anywhere, I would like to go to the top and see what this city looks like. And what lies beyond. It may help in deciding what to do next."

Without waiting to see if anyone else is coming, Attila heads back out into the stairwell...

In the stairwell, Attila makes a disturbing discovery. The descending stairs have been clogged with what appears to be some sort of dried resinous material. It is lumpy, opaque brown, and hard as stone to the touch.

...and proceeds to the roof. The spider fades from sight as she disappears up the stairs. While she is not expecting any more trouble, it doesn't hurt to be careful. Once at the top, Attila takes moment to just enjoy the sun and the feeling of being alive and, for the moment at least, free. After a few minutes, Attila proceeds with her investigation. She makes a slow lap around the roof, inspecting what lies beyond. She checks out the surrounding city, or its remains, looking for any signs of life, anything that looks interesting, and a any way out that doesn't involve wading through the murky water.

She checks out the land beyond as well, looking for any indication of the best way to head. She has a rough idea of which way they came, so something in another direction would be preferred.

Occasionally she gathers up small bits and pieces from the roof and tosses them over the edge, watching them arc through the air before splashing down into the water below. Each one of them goes with a little prayer to Droainon. Little offerings she thinks of them as.

The day ahead promises to be a warm one. Even on top of the building, the air barely moves, and the sun, although still low, glares hotly. From her vantage on the roof, Attila can see that most of the city lies to the south and west, and most of that is in ruins. The flooded zone, in which the building appears close to the center, covers a ragged area about two miles across. Most of the buildings in the flooded zone are several floors high, and they are in better shape than the ones farther away.

As for avoiding the water, Attila does see some narrow bridges between buildings which appear to be formed of the same resinous material blocking the stairwell. There is one such bridge leading from this building to one across the street, but it is several floors down.

To the north away from the way which Attila and her companions came, the ruined city gives way to rolling, grassy hills, and beyond those stands a forest that extends to the horizon. Near the water's edge in that direction, Attila can make out the squat cluster of buildings that is Melina's village. Attila estimates twenty or so structures.

Wing, invigorated by the light of a new day, dons his armor and gathers his weapons while whistling an upbeat tune. Or he thinks it's a tune, because he's hopelessly tone deaf.

"I'm going to take some air," he says, turning to Melina. "Now, little one, what can we expect to see here when the sun is high? Anything we ought to concern ourselves with?"

In the background, inside the apartments, the others go about their morning routines, leaving Melina, Wing, and Thuddar more or less to themselves. Melina shrugs her furry shoulders.

"I am not sure, Wing," she says. "I've never been here before, and I never expected to see another sunrise. I know my village, which is that way." She points northish. "Beyond that is the forest. We hunt its nearer stretches, but seldom venture too far inward. Strange lights and noises warn of dangers."

doghead

thotd

Attila hisses with frustration and anger as she put together the pieces. "I don't think that they are finished with us yet."

With one last look around and little prayer to Droainon for strength, Attila heads down and informs the others.

"I think we need to start getting out of here."

Once she has finished explaining and they have seen what they want to see Attila heads back to the stuff blocking the stairs to see if can be removed. She starts with a dagger. If that shows no promise, she tries heating it.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
"If it is alive, I have a trick that might work. I can drain it of its life, but I'll need everyone to stay out of the room while I try. I'd hate to be draining my companions instead, as my trick isn't easily controlled," Thuddar admits while he awaits the result of Attila's attempt.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
OOC: Almost ready for the new school year to start! :)

Attila quickly discovers that a dagger would be slow going indeed. The resinous material is nearly as hard as rock. Heating it proves an even worse idea. The surface of the material bubbles, splattering hot droplets and unleashing noxious fumes.

Deuce Traveler said:
"If it is alive, I have a trick that might work. I can drain it of its life, but I'll need everyone to stay out of the room while I try. I'd hate to be draining my companions instead, as my trick isn't easily controlled," Thuddar admits.

Everyone clears the stairwell. Surprisingly, Thuddar's "trick" has dramatic results. The resinous material becomes pliable and recoils away from his life-draining power. The mass retreats down the stairwell, making strange sucking and popping noises as it moves.

Remove ads