Old School Wizard

JahellTheBard

First Post
One of the things that upset me with 3 ed. is the idea that wizards, when gaining a level, just find a couple of new spell in their book ... coming from nowhere ( sorcerers as well, but they have a different story ..).

Most of youngest player i know do not even remember about wizards having a spell-book or the possibility to learn a new spell, other than waiting a free one at next level ... this is not the way i like wizards .. mind-less shooters and little else ( besides, the thrill for finding a new power full spell is part of the game, and is lost in 3 ed., where you can choose from every spell).

On the other side, i tried to balance the class, giving a few abilities that make up for the cost of writing their own spell book, and let it gain more flexibility.

Old School Wizard

Like 3.5 ed. wizards, except:

1) After 1 level, OSW do not get free spells in the book, he must find and learn spell from books, scrolls, or other sources ...

2) OSW , in addition to usual spell slots, can canalize part of his magic strength in form of an energy bolt. OSW gets (Int Modifier + lev./2 E.B. for day). Energy bolts are not subject to armor check.

3) OSW use his intelligence to understand how to spellcast in difficult conditions .. OWS wearing light armor, gets armor check , for the porpouse of casting spell, reduced by one for every OSW level.

4) OSW learns how to optimize his magic writing skills ... every level cost of writing spell on his spell-book or scroll is lowered by 2%.

:cool: Energy bolt .. works as a ray spell, dealing 1D6 + caster level damage. Is considered a force effect, 1 level.
Energy bolt are discharges of magic energy, and not classic spell, they are not subject to armor check, and cannot be modified by any meta-magic feat.

Weapon focus : ray spell still applies.

Optional Feat for OSW.

Taking this feat, a OSW can convert any memorized spell in an Energy Bolt ( as clerics with healing).
Converted Energy Bolt deals (1D6 * original spell level) + level damage.

What do you think of this class? Is it balanced against 3.5 Wizard ?

Thanks for any suggestion!

P.S. Forgive my poor english ...

Siberys

Adventurer
It's not that the spells just appear out of nowhere. Unless you actually roleplay a character's every waking moment, it's assumed that at some point they get some time to study, independantly learning those spells.

As for if this'd be balanced against a normal wizard... well, no. But you won't have a normal wizard, and the only two classes more powerful than a wizard are cleric and druid. This'd bring the class to just a little above Sorc, IMO. Still essentially an infinite spell list, but you've gotta work for 'em all.

JahellTheBard

First Post
Siberys said:
It's not that the spells just appear out of nowhere. Unless you actually roleplay a character's every waking moment, it's assumed that at some point they get some time to study, independantly learning those spells.

As for if this'd be balanced against a normal wizard... well, no. But you won't have a normal wizard, and the only two classes more powerful than a wizard are cleric and druid. This'd bring the class to just a little above Sorc, IMO. Still essentially an infinite spell list, but you've gotta work for 'em all.

Even now any wizard can have an infinite spell list ... the two free spells do not prevent you from learning new spells ... there are rules about this .. only some players do not ever read this because they just stop at the bonus spell for level.

DreamChaser

Explorer
Currently playing an archivist...basically a wizard with the cleric spell list, better armor, better weapons, additional abilities.

It kinda sucks.

I am 10th level and I have the treasure of a 6th level character because I have needed to spend so much money on spells. A 2% reduction won't help this.

While it is possible the OSW might be balanced (not sure), I don't think it would be terribly fun to play.

DC

ps. i'm not sure how energy bolt is terribly old school. it makes it more sorcerer-like (spontaneous casting) rather than more classic wizard-like.

Siberys

Adventurer
JahellTheBard said:
Even now any wizard can have an infinite spell list ... the two free spells do not prevent you from learning new spells ... there are rules about this .. only some players do not ever read this because they just stop at the bonus spell for level.

I know that wizards already have an essentially unlimited spell list. To rephrase what I said earlier, your change doesn't really affect balance. Now the wizard has to work for all their spells, instead of just most of 'em. But as I also said, what is the wizard doing during downtime? The D&D assumption is that he's spending time studying, making your houserule reasonable, if unnecessary. An easier house rule would be that the wizard still gains the spells as normal, but must destroy a number of levels worth of scrolls equal to the number of spell levels learned. As DC stated, though, that'd reduce the effective treasure the character got, and may reduce the fun factor.

Sigurd

First Post
New spells are an adventure goal

New spells should be a goal of every wizard.

The 2 spells are sort of what a crappy mediocre wizard will develop\find with a minimum of effort.

I would stay away from rules that discourage player-DM role play.

My wizards never have any money because they are buying and learning scrolls. What sort of books you keep are central to the type of wizard you are. Dm's can motivate wizards with off beat or historic spells. eg.. this is the 'original' Bigby's hand spell - a scroll by Bigby himself!, This spell will take honey from a beehive without killing the hive. etc...

On the other hand if a player doesn't want to do any of that they can settle for 2 spells.

Sigurd

JahellTheBard

First Post
that'd reduce the effective treasure the character got, and may reduce the fun factor.

Well, spell book should be considered wizard most valuable weapon ... it is not unusual for a 8 level fighter to spend money for a 8.000 g.p. +1 flaming bastard sword ... on the other side, wizards do not need spending a lot in weapons ... and with 8000 g.p. they can get at the same level a lot of spells ... besides, wizards can find more sources from spells, get spell books from defeated opponent, exchange spells with other wizards, finding a lost spell book in an old ruin may became the core of a new adventure ... and because you cannot just expect to find every spell you want everywhere, wizards are not always choosing the same broken spells everytime ..
Even finding new spell can became a fun time for a player that wants to role play his wizards ... besides, it is up to the DM to let his wizards find some spell book or scroll sometimes, so that its treasure remains in line with his level ...

DreamChaser

Explorer
Siberys said:
I know that wizards already have an essentially unlimited spell list.

No they don't. Any DM who observes any sense of ...

GP limitation by level
and
spell scribing costs

.. ensures that no wizard can have an unlimited spell book.

JahellTheBard said:
Well, spell book should be considered wizard most valuable weapon ... it is not unusual for a 8 level fighter to spend money for a 8.000 g.p. +1 flaming bastard sword ... on the other side, wizards do not need spending a lot in weapons ... and with 8000 g.p. they can get at the same level a lot of spells ...

Yes...this is true but it is misleading as well. The opportunity cost is different. Wizards are the only core class in 3e who have a class ability directly dependent on spending money. Barbarians can't spend money to get a array of rage abilities, clerics automatically know their spells (all of them that the DM allows in the game no matter how broken), etc. So, when a wizard has a choice between say bracers of Armor +2, a headband of intellect +2, a staff +2, or 8000 in spell scrolls, this is a very different choice from the fighter trying to decide between a +1 flaming bastard sword, gloves of ogre strength, or +2 armor and +2 shield. The wizard has to decide whether or not to take advantage of the only thing that makes him more powerful than a sorcerer: versatility.

A sorcerer gains 43 spells over the course of a career, 9 of which are cantrips (20%); a wizard gains (for free) between 60 and 64 (depending on starting Intelligence), 19 of which are cantrips (30%). Take cantrips out of the mix and you have 34 (sorc, 54 of which he can cast per day, not including bonuses) vs. 45 (max wizard, 36 of which he can cast each day, not including bonuses). Those 11 spells are not much of a difference in "versatility"

So, in order to gain said versatility, a wizard must spend gold. Potentially lots of gold.

Remove the automatic spells and you strip the wizard of any practical way of becoming the most versatile spellcaster and you ensure that it will always be sub-par to the sorcerer.

UNLESS scribing spells becomes cheaper by far (10 gp per level? free?).

DC

Remove ads