D&D 2E On AD&D 2E

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I did read your full post, but I think this quote sums it up. We just started playing 2E again last Sunday after 22 years and my friend and I who used to play together back then thought, eh we'll wing it at first, it'll come back to us, it did somewhat but it was rough at points. The other player who has only played 5E is somewhat confused. I just started reading the PHB over the last few days and I'm astounded how much I forgot, how many rules we probably never used to begin with, how much we probably had wrong, and how different the game truly is from 3E forward. It really is a different game.
Not long ago, after tiring of his whining about not being able to play D&D, I got my old 2e DM to join my current play group. Of course, he pitched his 2e campaign to see if anyone wanted to play (he's been adding to it for 35 years now...I think, I only started playing in his campaign in 1991).

So we tried playing 2e. And wow, was that a mess. Arbitrary rules, huge variance in player ability, classes that can barely function at low levels, trying to explain "ok, roll high to attack, roll high to save, roll low to make ability checks, roll d20 most of the time, but here are some d% rolls", trying to field questions of why AC goes down, or why sometimes a bonus to AC is a positive integer and sometimes it's a negative integer, or why there's a huge list of Non-Weapon Proficiencies but most characters get 3 of them (not counting some that cost more than one slot!), Kits, what Charisma even does, weapon speeds, how slowly characters advance (the guy who thought his Elf Fighter/Thief/Magic-User was the bee's knees balked when I explained how leveling up would work for him), and then an argument with me and my friend about using "languages known" to get more proficiency slots (he was fine with them being used for NWP's, but the language doesn't differentiate, since the Fighter wanted to know how to use more than 3 weapons without penalty- I tried to pitch the Blades broad group from the Fighter's Handbook, but 1, he wanted a bow and a melee weapon, and 2, the DM doesn't like weapon groups)...I could tell none of the newer players were having any fun.

And if that wasn't enough, the DM also tried to infuse some 1e rules on top of this "Jimmy, you know I use Comeliness in my games". "Oh yes, because they're not already confused, do you want to use weapon vs. armor types while we're at it?".

We had two sessions of this, but I wouldn't be shocked if we only played one, and the rest of the time was character creation and explaining rules.

I loved my time playing AD&D, many fond memories (and some not so fond memories), but despite any nostalgia, I definitely remember now why I was so quick to switch to 3e when it came out.

R_J_K75

Legend
Not long ago, after tiring of his whining about not being able to play D&D, I got my old 2e DM to join my current play group. Of course, he pitched his 2e campaign to see if anyone wanted to play (he's been adding to it for 35 years now...I think, I only started playing in his campaign in 1991).

So we tried playing 2e. And wow, was that a mess. Arbitrary rules, huge variance in player ability, classes that can barely function at low levels, trying to explain "ok, roll high to attack, roll high to save, roll low to make ability checks, roll d20 most of the time, but here are some d% rolls", trying to field questions of why AC goes down, or why sometimes a bonus to AC is a positive integer and sometimes it's a negative integer, or why there's a huge list of Non-Weapon Proficiencies but most characters get 3 of them (not counting some that cost more than one slot!), Kits, what Charisma even does, weapon speeds, how slowly characters advance (the guy who thought his Elf Fighter/Thief/Magic-User was the bee's knees balked when I explained how leveling up would work for him), and then an argument with me and my friend about using "languages known" to get more proficiency slots (he was fine with them being used for NWP's, but the language doesn't differentiate, since the Fighter wanted to know how to use more than 3 weapons without penalty- I tried to pitch the Blades broad group from the Fighter's Handbook, but 1, he wanted a bow and a melee weapon, and 2, the DM doesn't like weapon groups)...I could tell none of the newer players were having any fun.

And if that wasn't enough, the DM also tried to infuse some 1e rules on top of this "Jimmy, you know I use Comeliness in my games". "Oh yes, because they're not already confused, do you want to use weapon vs. armor types while we're at it?".

We had two sessions of this, but I wouldn't be shocked if we only played one, and the rest of the time was character creation and explaining rules.

I loved my time playing AD&D, many fond memories (and some not so fond memories), but despite any nostalgia, I definitely remember now why I was so quick to switch to 3e when it came out.
Gotta run, but Im definiteley replying to this later

Kai Lord

Hero
... BattleTech, Cryptworld, Middle-Earth Role Playing, Dungeon Crawl Classics...
Of those games I've only played DCC and was very pleasantly surprised to see his illustrations making a comeback.

I feel like the pic of the terrified townspeople trying to impale the skeleton with the pitchfork is already a modern classic.

ValamirCleaver

Ein Jäger aus Kurpfalz
I feel like the pic of the terrified townspeople trying to impale the skeleton with the pitchfork is already a modern classic.

Peasants-Skeleton.jpeg

Kai Lord

Hero
I've really liked this one of a cleric laying the smackdown upon some of what I assume to be heathens ever since I first saw it in Dragon Magazine back in the '80s.

View attachment 276405
That is really cool. I could really go on and on with regard to Holloway. He was such a master of seamlessly blending badass with buffoonery which exemplified so very many of my actual early role-playing experiences, lol.

x2-boxing-match.jpg

Hex08

Hero
I would love to play 2E again. When the bug hits me to run that style of game I turn to Castles & Crusades but 2E is my first love when it comes to RPGs so I would happily return to it. I played the Basic & Expert sets and 1E but my favorite campaigns that I ran and played in were all 2E.

ValamirCleaver

Ein Jäger aus Kurpfalz
I could really go on and on with regard to Holloway. He was such a master of seamlessly blending badass with buffoonery which exemplified so very many of my actual early role-playing experiences, lol.
A no-nonsense power couple drawn in a not so serious way.

IggwilvWG7.jpg

Derro Attack!

tumblr_obp58hjRf91ro2bqto1_1280.jpg

Safe Place To Rest?...

tumblr_o3qd1aJZFI1ro2bqto1_1280.jpg

Trying to directly address the original post, during the '90s I played or ran games that were a mishmash of AD&D 1E, 2E and bits of Mayfair Role-Aids material and/or BECMI/Known World/Mystrara. Today I prefer BRW Games' Adventures Dark and Deep (which is re-written AD&D 1e with Unearthed Arcana incorporated and with all kinds of additional things culled from Gygax's musing from Dragon magazines in the first half of the '80s of what he planned to put in 2nd Edition).

Remove ads