D&D General On simulating things: what, why, and how?

I'm pretty sure I opened with that, and reiterated it repeatedly, yet you're still talking about not being able to have climbing rules in a game with dragons in it.
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it doesn't seem like there is any objection to the existence of climbing rules as much as there is a question of the upper limit of what a character who regularly battles and defeats dragons should be able to accomplish under a "simulationist" ruleset.

Yeah, these inconsistencies in D&D can be really challenging.

I like how in, for example, Gene Wolfe's Wizard/Knight duology, humans could fight giants in part because the giants are SLOW. But for most people the size advantage is too much for them to take on a giant in a straight-up melee anyway.

One thing that was nice about 4E was that the tiers tried to capture this kind of change to Fighter (and other character) scale of capabilities a bit better.
Yeah, this is a real benefit of 4e IMHO. And while it DOES have some rules that do things like regulate how far you can jump, they at least scale with level. We found that it was pretty easy to portray a more significant sort of scaling as well, like in terms of all the different factors of say "leaping a chasm", which at level 1 might be a 15' wide gully in the floor of a cave, and at 30th level might be a cosmic rift filled with elemental energies and demonic beasts that is 150' across.

I don't think I can grant that. Let's bear in mind that neither fireballs or lightning bolts actually resemble real world explosions or lightning.

Fireballs don't include concussive force and all the other physical components of an explosion. So what real-world thing do they actually look like?

Lightning Bolt spells are even farther removed from what an actual lightning strike looks like or how electricity acts.
There isn't even any thunder after a lightning bolt spell. That's like IRL lightning 101.

I could be wrong about this, but I wonder how many people claiming that simulation can't and doesn't exist in a fantasy RPG are also 4e fans? I'm betting most if not all. Correlation doesn't equal causation, but there definitely seems to be a connection there, especially given the venom I've seen displayed.

The edition war continues, I guess.
It isn't an edition war thing... 4e simply handled it somewhat better. The game flat out explicitly tells you from square 1 that your character is magical and exceptional. The Martial Power Source is not 'non magical', it is just a different kind of magic! There's no 'Dispel Magic' in 4e, at least not in a classic D&D sense, because EVERYTHING is magical! So, is your fighter magical? Yup! How far can he jump at level 1? Well, with a 20 STR and Athletics, AT LEAST 10 feet, and as much as 30 feet. That's actually not completely unrealistic, but of course it will increase, so at level 30 he's probably got a +30 to his Athletics checks, minimally, and will thus jump from 30 to 50 feet, assuming no magic, feats, powers, etc. (which he will almost surely have if jumping is something he's got any interest in whatsoever). Most 4e fighters at level 30 can actually cover more like 80' and can probably muster a 150' leap in a pinch.

The legendary ones. The legendary ones do.

"Last of all the eastern force to stand firm were the Dwarves of Belegost, and thus they won renown. For the Naugrim withstood fire more hardily than either Elves or Men, and it was their custom moreover to wear great masks in battle hideous to look upon; and those stood them in good stead against the dragons. And but for them Glaurung and his brood would have withered all that was left of the Noldor. But the Naugrim made a circle about him when he assailed them, and even his mighty armour was not full proof against the blows of their great axes; and when in his rage Glaurung turned and struck down Azaghâl, Lord of Belegot, and crawled over him, with his last stroke Azaghâl drove a knife into his belly, and so wounded him that he fled the field, and the beasts of Angband in dismay followed after him."

By J.R.R. Tolkien, The Silmarillion, p.193 (Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad)

See also St. George, Shang-Chi, etc...
Sure, but I would point out that Glaurung (or that is Tolkien) used some REALLY bad tactics against these dwarves. Plainly the dragon should have simply taken to the air and either murderized the dragons from that invulnerable high ground position, or simply gone to some other part of the battlefield where enemies more matched to his capabilities (like most of the Noldor) were located. Its a great epic picture, but it doesn't hold water for 20 seconds as an actual "how this could play out."

As for St George, the dragon he takes on is almost universally depicted as being horse-sized. In most depictions no mention is made of flying either. On top of this St George has some sort of divine magical protection, doesn't he? I agree that the typical depictions show him doing something that might be plausible, killing a fairly large and fearsome beast. If all these heroes are assumed to be realistic characters significantly bound by human or near-human limits, then either the story loses its believability, or the 'dragon' becomes a beast more on a par with bears, lions, or elephants.

Sure, but I would point out that Glaurung (or that is Tolkien) used some REALLY bad tactics against these dwarves. Plainly the dragon should have simply taken to the air and either murderized the dragons from that invulnerable high ground position, or simply gone to some other part of the battlefield where enemies more matched to his capabilities (like most of the Noldor) were located. Its a great epic picture, but it doesn't hold water for 20 seconds as an actual "how this could play out."
Glaurung wasn't a winged dragon. It couldn't fly.

Nah. Like it has been mentioned, humans have been taking down megafauna since the stone age. Sure, dragons are somewhat more dangerous than mammoths, but we are also talking about late medieval/renaissance tech level backed with magic.

I agree with your point about D&D being inconsistent with how and when it chooses to apply simulation, but I don't think this "but dragons!" angle is very compelling.
What I think is that you can take the baseline position "society looks like a pastiche of modern tropes about medieval life" and then just sort of assume that anything like dragons, clerics, whatever, all just kind of cancels out. Where it gets pretty dicey is when play reveals specific attributes of one of these things, at which point we're just hanging out there in a place where the "this doesn't change things" cannot be sustained, but we choose to ignore it and continue. Now, when someone says "but why can't I do the same thing with my fighter's jumping distance" it really isn't all that consistent to say "no, you are not allowed to do unrealistic things!" I mean, go ahead and say 'no', but at least acknowledge that it isn't realism that is driving that! Its just a genre trope, not a logical one, not one that can withstand examination, but one that can be upheld in play precisely because we 'squint' as the OP says. Nothing is wrong with that, I just think it is a misuse of the term to call any of that 'simulation'.

Remove ads