D&D General On This Day In 1983 The BBC Explains D&D

1983: BBC South East at Six explored the magical world of Dungeons & Dragons, with the help of Games Workshop founders Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone. Interestingly, the art used in the piece was not from D&D, but was actually the cover art of the 1980 Runequest 2nd Edition boxed set from Games Workshop.

1983: BBC South East at Six explored the magical world of Dungeons & Dragons, with the help of Games Workshop founders Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone.

Interestingly, the art used in the piece was not from D&D, but was actually the cover art of the 1980 Runequest 2nd Edition boxed set from Games Workshop.

This is the face of an interviewer struggling mightily to understand what the interviewee is talking about:

1696612799699.png

Chalk and Dever! The gods speak :D

Great video. I visited the GW design studio the year after this - looked pretty much exactly the same.

It's wild, I don't think I've ever seen or heard Chalk and Dever before, for all that I played the Lone Wolf books as a kid.

Last edited:

damiller

Adventurer
I didn't know anything about Steve Jackson or GW back in that day, but it was nice to see something about the origins of this hobby I love so very much. Thanks for posting it.

WoW! I would have loved to talk with Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone back when they still worked at the early Games Workshop. :eek::love:
I play in a group with a guy who worked at the shop when they where 16 or so. Got to ride in the car that was bought after they sealed the TSR distribution deal in 79/80?

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads