D&D (2024) (+)One Big Thing I Would Change

Horwath

Legend
The whole debate is just a perception problem. Escially with the new shove and grapple rules, str becomes a lot more useful (actually it was as useful before, but noone cared to actually make use of grabs, if not specially built for it).
grab is better in current rules.

Horwath

Legend
Please no. Rather get rid of ASI altogether.
this I can also agree. Put some part of ASI's in default array/point buy together with +2/+1 bonus and you would get Pillars of eternity abilities.
everything at start and only increasing via magic later on.

I.E. starting array:

or point buy:

8: 0pts
10: 1pt
12: 2pts
14: 3pts
16: 5pts
18: 8pts

point pool: 21

...why would the non-fighter full martials get fewer then the martial-leaning half-casters? that seems kind of backwards to me
A matter of opinion I guess. Paladins and Rangers already get a fighting style while monk/barb/rogue don't so this change would give all of them the same number of new things. Paladins and Rangers would just have more because they already get one.

I also see Paladins and Rangers as having more "standard" combat training. Probably why they got a fighting style while the others didn't. Monk/barb/rogue make up for it by having their unique combat methods of martial arts/reckless attack/sneak attack. But that's basically my own head canon so ymmv.

this I can also agree. Put some part of ASI's in default array/point buy together with +2/+1 bonus and you would get Pillars of eternity abilities.
everything at start and only increasing via magic later on.

I.E. starting array:

or point buy:

8: 0pts
10: 1pt
12: 2pts
14: 3pts
16: 5pts
18: 8pts

point pool: 21
I could see half-feats to make uneven scores even. Other than that, having a higher array would be possible. I think however that an 18 at level 1 is too much.

But then we should dissociate attributes from everything besides skills (as you suggested otherwise) and few othere things (which I would suggest).

At least we should not expect stats to increase at all.

Maybe Str as requirements for high damaging weapons, dex for light armor cl (you can circumvent the requirement with heavy armor), con for hp, int for bonus proficiencies in tools and languages, wis... maybe Initiative (as initiative nowadays is more awareness in the first round of combat) and cha for attracting followers...

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
ha, people would hate it but 1/2 level instead of proficiency bonus. Its much more manageable in the 1-20 level range ( and most games don't go above level 10 I'd wager).
I think stat capped at 18 + half-level as proficiency bonus + no ASI would be somewhat close mathematically speaking. So if you are lucky and have a 18 (+4) in your main stat, you'll eventually be at +14 on a d20 roll. So I guess AC should be a little higher to accommodate.

I like the clarity of half your level... it's certainly better than proficiency and rage bonus and half your level references all progressing at different rates that are still close to each other in the commonly-played level range.

Horwath

Legend
I think stat capped at 18 + half-level as proficiency bonus + no ASI would be somewhat close mathematically speaking. So if you are lucky and have a 18 (+4) in your main stat, you'll eventually be at +14 on a d20 roll. So I guess AC should be a little higher to accommodate.
I like the slow increase of 1/4 your level with some start bonus.

maybe +2 with +1/4 levels increase at levels 4,8,12,16 and 20 would be more intuitive than increase at levels 5/9/13/17.

Remove ads