D&D (2024) (+)One Big Thing I Would Change

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
A lot of what people are suggesting can be accomplished by just playing Dungeon Crawl Classics.

But in keeping with actually playing 5e, the big change I would like is ditching damage-dealing cantrips. Magicians being able to do magical stuff without using spell slots is fine with me - it addresses a major gripe my friends and I had about TSR-era wizards. But I don't like damage-dealing cantrips. It feels videogamey to me, and more than almost anything else makes D&D feel like a (barely) glorified combat game.

Horwath

Legend
Similar to to 3.5e and what they tried in XGtE with tools, lot's of fixed DC examples for ALL skills.

fixed stealth vs perception.
when can you use your stealth, when do you have disadvantage, when advantage.
At what distance you get bonuses to stealth, what is the difference is sound carrying in dungeon vs forest?

Removal of the big combat feats. Break them down into smaller parts and make them all part of a combo style/maneuver/stance list for warriors. As an example GWM gets broken into two parts; one gives the famous -5/+10 and the other gives the bonus action attack after crits and kills. Then the warrior classes get to pick a few as they level up in a similar fashion to cantrips for casters. Fighters get the most and have the fastest progression, paladins and rangers get fewer with a slower progression, monks/barbs/rogues progress the same as paladins and rangers but start with fewer, gish subclasses of casters get a couple and have the slowest progression.

Aldarc

Legend
A lot of what people are suggesting can be accomplished by just playing Dungeon Crawl Classics.

But in keeping with actually playing 5e, the big change I would like is ditching damage-dealing cantrips. Magicians being able to do magical stuff without using spell slots is fine with me - it addresses a major gripe my friends and I had about TSR-era wizards. But I don't like damage-dealing cantrips. It feels videogamey to me, and more than almost anything else makes D&D feel like a (barely) glorified combat game.
It's not?! 😲

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Change 'Charisma' to 'Presence', that way we can write out all six ability scores with a single letter, rather than always having five single letters and a 'Ch'. ;)

Remove ads