D&D (2024) One D&D gets gnomes close to perfect

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I agree with those who think the lineages for gnomes are not needed.

Darkvision is inevitable, but not needed.
Gnomish Cunning is powerful, and central/definitional to the race.

Instead of Gnomish Lineage as written, I would suggest:
  • all gnomes get the Speak with Animals castings
  • gnomes can choose between minor illusion, prestidigitation, or mending.
  • lose the clockwork device

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Halflings are fantasy (in every sense) English peasants. They occupy a totally different conceptual space than gnomes, who are the magical little people.
I personally like that Humans can be Small or Medium in OneD&D, but that does leave a weird design space with Halflings, which came from Hobbits and basically had the definition of "3-foot tall English peasants" . . . which isn't a great niche for a player race, especially in a game where Humans can be just as short as halflings.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
How would you distinguish in art Halflings wearing shoes from Gnomes from Dwarves from Humans?
How do you distinguish human cultures in illustrations? Cultural clothing choices and hair styles.

I'd also have halfings be beardless, chubbier, have curly hair and broader frames. They have round ears and dress like English peasants.

Gnomes would have pointed ears, would typically grow involved facial hair (every beard and mustache contest winner are modeling for gnome character are) and be more like tiny elves than tiny humans, in build, other than their little pot bellies. And I'd shamelessly go with Nordic gnome art, as popularized by the art of Rien Poortvliet.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
How do you distinguish human cultures in illustrations? Cultural clothing choices and hair styles.

I'd also have halfings be beardless, chubbier, have curly hair and broader frames. They have round ears and dress like English peasants.

Gnomes would have pointed ears, would typically grow involved facial hair (every beard and mustache contest winner are modeling for gnome character are) and be more like tiny elves than tiny humans, in build, other than their little pot bellies. And I'd shamelessly go with Nordic gnome art, as popularized by the art of Rien Poortvliet.
Halflings ≠ Human Cultures, though.

If we want Halflings to be their own lineage its own mechanics, it should look different from any other lineage…

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero

If we want Halflings to be their own lineage its own mechanics, it should look different from any other lineage…
Every nonhuman race has clothes based on humanity. I was suggesting a starting point for halflings, not an end-point.

Just as dwarves have their pseudo-Nordic (by way of Wagner) aesthetic that then gets made more angular and with more of a focus on metal, carvings and braids, and elves take the clothes of English archers and flowing Medieval English clothing but then incorporate leaves and trees, I'd probably have the halfling aesthetic focus on handicrafts, agriculture motifs, wagon wheels, etc.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I personally like that Humans can be Small or Medium in OneD&D, but that does leave a weird design space with Halflings, which came from Hobbits and basically had the definition of "3-foot tall English peasants" . . . which isn't a great niche for a player race, especially in a game where Humans can be just as short as halflings.
yeah have the massive discussions I see the need for small races but haflings need to be really looked at to survive.

but how do you do that without messing up what people like about halflings?

Remove ads