D&D (2024) One D&D origins playtest survey is live

Reynard

Legend
It's not that kind of playtest, it's the same as UA always has been, a smell test. Present some options, let people read then, ask how they feel about them.
And they are going to do actual game design based on that. Lol. No wonder people complain about what was lost from Next with 5E.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
And they are going to do actual game design based on that. Lol. No wonder people complain about what was lost from Next with 5E.
By negation, yes. In UA they present options, and find out if people like them, hate them, or are indifferent towards them. Then they keep the popular ones and balance them in private playtesting.

Reynard

Legend
The next packet ahoupd be additive, not a reiterating of the same options. Probably start seeing a Class or two.
Right but if the Origins survey closes is doesn't much matter. It's a dumb way to get feedback of such complex, interconnected systems. Which again leads me to believe it is primarily theater.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Right but if the Origins survey closes is doesn't much matter. It's a dumb way to get feedback of such complex, interconnected systems. Which again leads me to believe it is primarily theater.
It primarily shallow, not theatre. WotC has dropped options in UA when they were not popular, and occasionally gone back to the drawing board. But usually just dropped. Ao if the new Inspiration mechanics aren't popular, they'll probably just drop it. So this packet represents a maximum change, thar they can roll back based in shallow reactions from the player base. And this system has worked very well to keep the game manageable

The next packet ahoupd be additive, not a reiterating of the same options. Probably start seeing a Class or two.
We will know soon enough, but there is a good chance that the packets are going to be a la carte. Maybe even just getting, say, the Barbarian in the next packet and test different bits individually since they are still under the notion that this is going to be cross compatible with people's current 5e games. Since these seem to "vibe check" style smell tests anyway, I am not sure that they are going to start throwing hundred page playtest packets at us until late in the process when they start revising based on playtest input.

I could be totally off there though. It is hard to tell at this point.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
We will know soon enough, but there is a good chance that the packets are going to be a la carte. Maybe even just getting, say, the Barbarian in the next packet and test different bits individually since they are still under the notion that this is going to be cross compatible with people's current 5e games. Since these seem to "vibe check" style smell tests anyway, I am not sure that they are going to start throwing hundred page playtest packets at us until late in the process when they start revising based on playtest input.

I could be totally off there though. It is hard to tell at this point.
I fully expect the playtest to be mainly one Class a month. I would suppose Ranger or Artificer first.

Reynard

Legend
It primarily shallow, not theatre. WotC has dropped options in UA when they were not popular, and occasionally gone back to the drawing board. But usually just dropped. Ao if the new Inspiration mechanics aren't popular, they'll probably just drop it. So this packet represents a maximum change, thar they can roll back based in shallow reactions from the player base. And this system has worked very well to keep the game manageable
This playtest is different, though, isn't it, being that it is for the new core books?

Remove ads