D&D (2024) Survey is Live for Unearthed Arcana PHB Playtest 8

Remathilis

Legend
3. One thing I don't think has been discussed on these boards in the inclusion of Cure Wounds and Healing Word on the now restored) Bardic spell list. For a while it looked like that was going to go away - that not every Bard would have healing abilities in their repertoire (that made the Bard really exciting for me, that bards might be able to choose their spell lists). If you have views on this choice, you should let them be known!
To be fair, healing is just another choice for the bard list of spells known/prepared. You don't have to take them.

The thing I dislike is there isn't a whole lot of good stuff ON the bard's list. There are very few good de-buffs, very few good buffs (which you think bards would be hot on), a bunch of finicky control spells (which are easily resisted) and healing. You have to dip into magic secrets (which comes far too late for non-lore bards) to get any of the really good control, buff, healing, or blast magic.

We never saw a revised bard after the spell-list shift, but I really hope the bards get some better spell choices added.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
To be fair, healing is just another choice for the bard list of spells known/prepared. You don't have to take them.
Of course there is choice. I have not seen a Bard without at least one of these, though, and the proposed change was exciting.
The thing I dislike is there isn't a whole lot of good stuff ON the bard's list. There are very few good de-buffs, very few good buffs (which you think bards would be hot on), a bunch of finicky control spells (which are easily resisted) and healing.
And illusions. The 2014 Bard List isn't damage-heavy, but it is remarkably versatile.
We never saw a revised bard after the spell-list shift, but I really hope the bards get some better spell choices added.
I think they offered us a radical new approach to Bardic spells, and that was rejected. I suspect the Bard list will change very little as a result.

Of course there is choice. I have not seen a Bard without at least one of these, though, and the proposed change was exciting.

And illusions. The 2014 Bard List isn't damage-heavy, but it is remarkably versatile.

I think they offered us a radical new approach to Bardic spells, and that was rejected. I suspect the Bard list will change very little as a result.
I hope they get the spells from tasha's guide. Then I'd be happy enough.

I too was intrigued by the choice of list and by the improved magical secrets. Now lets see what they are cooking up for the bard.

Remathilis

Legend

Almost every class that CAN take healing magic does take some. My point is the bard should be able to lean as much or as little as they want.

Illusions and enchantments are good against certain types of creatures that aren't immune to mind-affecting abilities. I would say bards are more situational than versatile, they tend to have a trick up their sleeve not because its the right one, but because its the only one they have left that works.

And I don't want radical changes, but a few more additions would be nice. Why isn't haste on bard's list for example? The current 2014 list is very meh without Tasha/Xanathar/Strixhaven to flesh it out.

Horwath

Legend
I do not like that brutal strike from barbarian is spending your advantage, that is your default play from 1st level.
Yes, maybe idea is to look for additional advantage in addition to rage, but that is not barbarian like tactical level.

maybe add some minor effect if you have advantage in addition to rage, like doubling rage bonus to damage.
And make brutal strike free of charge.

My feedback: druid still sucks, barbarian is fine, monk is great. Spells are good.

Edit: at this point, I'm assuming they just go live with their half-assed version of wildshape and most players opt for the 2014 version of Moon Druid.
I don't think people opt for the 2014 version. As it will just fade out.
Some old people might still use it. But most sane (in the sense of reasonable) DMs just use the new wild shape because the old one is a headache and unbalanced.

Last edited:

Clint_L

Hero
I don't think people opt for the 2014 version. As it will just fade out.
Some old people might still use it. But most sane DMs just use tge new wild shape because the old one is a headache and unbalanced.
So, your argument is that is would be insane to prefer the 2014 version?

Okay, then. Productive.

So, your argument is that is would be insane to prefer the 2014 version?

Okay, then. Productive.
Your words, not mine. Edit: ok, you could interpret my words like this. I actually did not think of insane as the opposite of sane... I should have used "reasonable" and edit it that way.

Play as you like. But when the 2024 rules come out, most people will just use the new rules for convenience.

Some people, like always, will still use old rules.

Most people enjoy a better balanced game. Some people like to play unbalanced characters that overshine the rest of the party.
Nerfs are unpopular. Especially for the "druid enjoyers". Everyone else sighs with relief.

Last edited:

Clint_L

Hero
Your words, not mine. Edit: ok, you could interpret my words like this. I actually did not think of insane as the opposite of sane... I should have used "reasonable" and edit it that way.

Play as you like. But when the 2024 rules come out, most people will just use the new rules for convenience.

Some people, like always, will still use old rules.

Most people enjoy a better balanced game. Some people like to play unbalanced characters that overshine the rest of the party.
Nerfs are unpopular. Especially for the "druid enjoyers". Everyone else sighs with relief.
Okay, so you've updated not "sane" to not "reasonable." Much...better?

Look, the new moon druid sucks, and if you think it's balanced I don't think you've actually spent much time on it.

The old moon druid is all over the place, but you get to be awesome from levels 2-4, okay from, say, 5-7, kinda bad/mediocre from 8-9, pretty great again at level 10, and then a slow slide downhill until you reach god status at level 20. Which is irrelevant to most players. At the levels where most games happen, it is on average a good class, but with crazy swings, so it definitely needs work.

The new version starts as mediocre and goes down from there.

You can't sell people on a nerf unless you come with something great to make up for it. What is the great thing this new version brought?

Remove ads