D&D General One Piece of Art- What D&D Art Inspired You to Love a Class?

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I think that's a William O'Connor piece.
It's absolutely William O'Connor. And that piece definitely is eye-catching. I can't find my original piece that made me want to play Avenger. It was a darker-toned piece with a greataxe-toting Avenger--IIRC, a half-orc, but I could be mistaken.

I didn't strictly need an image to make me fall in love with Dragonborn or Paladin, but this image is burned into my memory as what a proper Dragonborn Paladin should look like.
paladin_by_benwootten.jpg

Here's Ben Wootten's DA upload of it, to give credit where credit is due.

I also swear I remember an image of a dark-robed half-orc Avenger with a greataxe, which was absolutely the image that cemented the Avenger archetype in my mind. But I have no idea where I saw it or who made it, so it's...pretty much lost to time now.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
It's absolutely William O'Connor. And that piece definitely is eye-catching. I can't find my original piece that made me want to play Avenger. It was a darker-toned piece with a greataxe-toting Avenger--IIRC, a half-orc, but I could be mistaken.

I didn't strictly need an image to make me fall in love with Dragonborn or Paladin, but this image is burned into my memory as what a proper Dragonborn Paladin should look like.
paladin_by_benwootten.jpg

Here's Ben Wootten's DA upload of it, to give credit where credit is due.

I also swear I remember an image of a dark-robed half-orc Avenger with a greataxe, which was absolutely the image that cemented the Avenger archetype in my mind. But I have no idea where I saw it or who made it, so it's...pretty much lost to time now.
Was the Avenger fighting Mind Flayers? That sounds like the Avenger picture in Divine Power.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Was the Avenger fighting Mind Flayers? That sounds like the Avenger picture in Divine Power.
I remember it as just the avenger alone, but my memory is hardly a perfect thing. I'll go leaf through my copy.
Edit: No, that's definitely not it. It looked more like the kind of art you'd see in Dragon Mag.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Do edition-specific examples count?

Because there's two pieces of art that came out after 5e, that actually made me want to play a Sorcerer, so long as the DM let me have a pseudodragon familiar.* If so, then the following images (spoilerblocked because large) would also qualify. Excellent art, and legit actually gave me an itch to play a 5e character when previously I didn't really have one.

tPxsl0E.jpeg

Credit: Commission from Alteya, her DeviantArt can be found here (though it doesn't have this image).

And

EaPZztMWAAEMuty

Credit: Kim Van Deun, Twitter.

*Ideally, I'd also want to test my homebrew PrC, but people willing to consider permitting that are as rare as hen's teeth, despite basically every DM I've asked being very respectful and complimenting my work.

I'm going to cheat and share something that is neither a class, nor my own art experience because it's a cute story. I spent the last few weeks helping a massive number of kids make D&D characters at Summer camp. I had several different kids whom I told to look through the backgrounds section and see if any worked for their character point at this picture, which seems to be intended for Outlander:

1659858133355.png

But, because of it's placement on the page next to the Outlander section but under the beginning of the Sage section, two of them told me that they wanted to be a Sage.

Not to say that the lady above couldn't be sagacious, but that wasn't what they were going for.

Remove ads