• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General One thing I hate about the Sorcerer

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
You are missing the fundamental aspect: Money

WOTC knows people want more classes.
Bt those classes wont be in the Player's Handbook

The PHB is the highest selling RPG book.
Printing a book with big new classes lowers PHB sales.
So WOTC created new classes.

And again 3PP don't build the same classes. One makes the Warlord. Another makes the Shifter. A third makes the Apothecary. A fourth makes the Psion. A fifth makes the Anti-Paladin. So you need to buy 2-5 more books to include them and

• None of them are supported by DDB
  • None of them are supported by WOTC books
  • None of them are supported by other 3pp books
  • None of them are supported by setting books
  • None of them are supported by setting neutral splat books
How many Blood Hunter feats and subclasses are in Tasha's and Xanatar's or your general 3pp kickers?
This whole point of view is very WotC-centered. Other 3pp can and do support new classes without their help.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I don't see a solution to that beyond just being on top of things and integrating different 3pp and homebrew ideas into your game. That's what I do. What you seem to want is someone with WotC's influence who doesn't behave like WotC. It's a great dream, but not practical in my view.
No there is a solution.

Like there is a desire for a non-caster shapeshifter class like the druid in the movie.

A fewer content creators could create one and multiple 3PP could make subclasses, items, and stories for them.

What we have is what @Remathilis says. An Artificer WOTC barely supports. A Bloodhunter neither WOTC or DP supports. And cleass like sorcerer that only get obligation support.

No one is designing the "Harry Potter wizard". We just keep complaining about it not existing.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
No there is a solution.

Like there is a desire for a non-caster shapeshifter class like the druid in the movie.

A fewer content creators could create one and multiple 3PP could make subclasses, items, and stories for them.

What we have is what @Remathilis says. An Artificer WOTC barely supports. A Bloodhunter neither WOTC or DP supports. And cleass like sorcerer that only get obligation support.

No one is designing the "Harry Potter wizard". We just keep complaining about it not existing.
I again offer the example of Level Up, which disputes your entire argument.

Mage Hand Press has also done a lot of work supporting the many new classes they're created.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
This whole point of view is very WotC-centered. Other 3pp can and do support new classes without their help.
3PPs support THEIR classes.

We need 3PPs to other 3PPs' classes for those classes to spread in the community.

If DP creates a Blood Hunter and we see KP create subclasses for it and ENP create items for it, we will see a concrete thing that many tables will not be afraid or unsure of allowing.

Instead, we are jamming every single non-book mage idea into the sorcerer and muddying its lore.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I again offer the example of Level Up, which disputes your entire argument.

Mage Hand Press has also done a lot of work supporting the many new classes they're created.
There's a Level Up Illrigger, Blood Hunter, or Apothecary content?
There is Warlord and Herald content in Midgard or Dungeons of Drakkenhiem, or Grim Hallow?

Or is it just the WOTC stuff?

Remathilis

Legend
I don't think it would be profitable though.
I chuckle at this. People have argued the 5e market would be better if WotC was out of the picture and dozens of 3pp's were out there supporting their own thing. What would happen is we would have a dozen different versions of the sorcerer which are incompatible with each other. The one good thing about WotC's supremacy in the field is people design to support WotC's vision, regardless of if it's the best one or not, thus creating compatibility. Every sorcerer subclass, regardless of who designed it, works with the PHB sorcerer.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads