• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General One thing I hate about the Sorcerer

Shadowedeyes

Adventurer
The problem with more classes is that they become increasingly more niche. And of course there are going to be people who like those niche classes, but are there enough people interested in playing them to make it worth making? That is the question WotC I'm guessing is asking themselves, and outside of the Artificer, I would guess the conclusion is no. And we know broad classes are popular. Fighter keeps popping up high in the D&D Beyond statistics, and I would hazard a guess it is because it encompasses a lot of different concepts.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
The problem with more classes is that they become increasingly more niche. And of course there are going to be people who like those niche classes, but are there enough people interested in playing them to make it worth making? That is the question WotC I'm guessing is asking themselves, and outside of the Artificer, I would guess the conclusion is no. And we know broad classes are popular. Fighter keeps popping up high in the D&D Beyond statistics, and I would hazard a guess it is because it encompasses a lot of different concepts.
I’d argue the fighter is popular not because it covers a large number of concepts (because it fulfills most if not all of them pretty terribly) but because it is one of the core concepts of fantasy, the hero with nothing but his steel, his strength and his wits, not to mention the fact the fighter has been popular in every edition regardless of how broadly it covers archtypes

Sure when adding more classes they eventually become more niche but we’ve a long way to go in 5e before we even begin to reach that point, we’re missing dedicated classes for a good few of the basic archetypes as it is

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
A shapeshifters class would be more popular than the bottom 3 classes.

WOTC even made that the movie druid.

The problem is that the classes have too many niches in them. So new classes are on the edges.

Like the Sorcerer. It is the D&D equal to both a Marvel Mutant and a Marvel Mutate. It's super broad so it like the wizard has the most boring base class features.

Really

• Learned to use magic
  • Born with magic
  • Turned magical via an accident
  • Given magic by a god
  • Given magic by a nongod epic
  • Stealing magic from a vestige
  • Channeling nature's magic
  • Channeling death's magic
  • Channeling the magic of the stars and astral planes
  • Saying true names of reality
Could all be their own caster classes

@Minigiant I really find it hilarious how you manage to constantly come up with the exact opposite of the design I want to see... :ROFLMAO:

Nothing personal, different people have different tastes, it just is funny.

Like my issue is that many of the classes are already too narrow and subclasses in particular are bizarrely specific. But at least you manage to remind me that it could be much worse, so thank you!

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Several currently desired archtypes without a properly dedicated class:
Martial supporter (warlord)
Magic knight/swordmage
Dedicated shapeshifter
Psion
Dedicated ‘Monster’ class/playtest sorcerer
Summoner
Dedicated ‘pet’ class

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I chuckle at this. People have argued the 5e market would be better if WotC was out of the picture and dozens of 3pp's were out there supporting their own thing. What would happen is we would have a dozen different versions of the sorcerer which are incompatible with each other. The one good thing about WotC's supremacy in the field is people design to support WotC's vision, regardless of if it's the best one or not, thus creating compatibility. Every sorcerer subclass, regardless of who designed it, works with the PHB sorcerer.
I like different versions of the same concept. It gives you choices so you can pick the one that fits your table the best.

Remathilis

Legend
As @CreamCloud0 said, the fighter is popular because it has to be a dozen different archetypes: knight, mercenary, soldier, archer, and everything else that fights with a weapon, doesn't cast spells, and isn't a barbarian or rogue. I'm sure if you took the wizard, sorcerer, bard, warlock and druid and crammed them into one class, it'd be popular too because it would be your only choice. If you replaced it with knight, warlord, slayer, and gladiator classes, each would be better supported and not rely on one class to do all the heavy lifting.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
What do you mean by the WotC stuff?
I mean 3pps only make content for their stuff or WOTC stuff.

So if someone makes a new campaign setting, there is no lore for content from other 3pp stuff.

No new ideas never get realized in 3PPs stuff unless they do it or WOTC does.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I mean 3pps only make content for their stuff or WOTC stuff.

So if someone makes a new campaign setting, there is no lore for content from other 3pp stuff.

No new ideas never get realized in 3PPs stuff unless they do it or WOTC does.
That's a shame, but it doesn't lead to the conclusion that we should only care about WotC.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads