• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

One time only metamagics?

myradale

First Post
How would you guys price a one time only (ala potion) version of a lesser rod of empower, or maximizing, or quickening?

Something that was applicable to any spell of a certain level, but not restricted to a SPECIFIC spell, like a metamagiked scroll would be.

Thanee

First Post
1/60th of the cost of a rod.

Charges per day: Divide by (5 divided by charges per day)
Charged (50 charges): 1/2 unlimited use base price
Prices listed are always for fully charged items. (When an item is created, it is fully charged.) For an item that’s worthless when its charges run out (which is the case for almost all charged items), the value of the partially used item is proportional to the number of charges left.

Bye
Thanee

Wouldn't that be Normal Price * 1/2 (Charged) * 1/50 (1 Charge), or 1 / 100th the price of a rod?

EDIT:

Hah hah, silly Patryn! :D

The rod's already a charged item! I get it now. So, under the assumption that the rod is:

Actual Normal Price / (5/3) = DMG Rod Price

Actual Normal Price = (5/3) DMG Rod Price

50 Charge Price = Actual Normal Price / 2 = (5 / 6) DMG Rod Price

1 Charge Price = Actual Normal Price / 2 / 50 = (5 / 300) DMG Rod Price

1 Charge Price = (1 / 60) DMG Rod Price

Sorry for the confusion, Thanee! :D

Last edited:

myradale

First Post
Yeah, I just needed a "way out" for a potentially returning BBEG. The problem is, he's not that BIG of a BBEG and couldn't really do the quickened invisibilty to get out of there.
And the 35000gp price tag is a bit out of his range (and FAR too expensive to fall into the hands of my PCs)

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Why don't you just give him the rod with one charge left? The BBEG has probably had to use it before anyway.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
... Pfft. Right. Since this is the Rules forum, I was thinking of a rules way of making this work.

winterwolf

First Post
What level/class is the BBEG?
Check out the cape of the Mountebank; once per day dimension door, and the item is only 10k or so. Depending on his location, he could do something like "dimension door 700 feet up, feather fall".
10k isn't too bad, and if he is a caster with the right feats, he might have been able to make it himself.

Remove ads