• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ongoing damage: questions

MarkB

Legend
PHB 268: Ongoing damage first, then regeneration.
-blarg

That list isn't explicitly noted as an order of operation - those are just all things that happen at the start of the turn.

I think there was either a FAQ or CS response which suggested that the subject got to choose the order of application, but that's from vague recollections of a thread from months ago.

We've always played it as a combined effect: subtract the ongoing damage from the regeneration, and apply the result to your current hit point total.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
PHB 268: Ongoing damage first, then regeneration.
-blarg

That's what we've been doing. Which leads to a whole lot of:

"Paladin, it's your turn."

"Well first I take 5 ongoing Poison Damage and go unconscious. Then I Regenerate 2 from Melora's Tide and wake up. So I guess I'll stand up, put Divine Challenge on THAT guy and then Charge him. Also I'll make my saving throw...*clatter*...and FAIL..."

;)

MarkB

Legend
That's what we've been doing. Which leads to a whole lot of:

"Paladin, it's your turn."

"Well first I take 5 ongoing Poison Damage and go unconscious. Then I Regenerate 2 from Melora's Tide and wake up. So I guess I'll stand up, put Divine Challenge on THAT guy and then Charge him. Also I'll make my saving throw...*clatter*...and FAIL..."

;)

No, it doesn't. Characters who are at 0 hit points or below cannot regenerate (see PHB page 293).

CapnZapp

Legend
Here's the result of the CapnZapp jury :)

1. IMC, yes. I find it cheesy that a creature can automagically be saved from death based on whether the last standing Orc all across the room happens to die or not die.

Actually, I believe the RAW says no (meaning as soon as the encounter's over, all ongoing damage, and death saves, disappear). At least that's how my player presented his case, before I overruled him (per the above justification).

2. IMC, "save ends" stack, so your character needs to save three times.

He still only takes the ongoing damage once per round though.

This isn't clearly written in the PHB (the rule is very sloppily written), but if I had to take a guess about the RAI (as opposed to RAW), it would be that once you save against one instance of a condition, you're free of all of them.

However, not only does this constitute a massive nerf to all monsters who like to gang up several identical members against the party, it creates highly illogical situations too...:

If you're hit by "dazed and ongoing damage 10 (save ends both)" twice, one save is enough. But if you're hit only once and then by "immobilized and ongoing damage 10 (save ends both) you suddenly need to save twice? And the same if you're hit by either as well as "ongoing damage 10 (save ends)"? WTF?

If the rules had any balls here, they would base the rule on the source (ie the monster), not the specific combination of conditions. In other words, if the rule was that no matter how many Condition X you're affected by from one kind of monster, you only need to save once; but as soon as you're hit by Condition X from another kind of monster, you need to save against that separately, the rule would make sense again (because, presumably, even if two monsters did the exact same condition - such as "dazed and ongoing 10 acid damage" - they would create the condition in different ways).

As it is, the "one save against each instance" is both simple and logical, so that's the one I'm using. :)

3. I agree with the posters saying "whatever is the coolest".

In other words, because the rules don't explicitly hose the player, I see no reason to rule it so.

The Cleric can therefore choose to push first, and apply damage second.

Again, IMC. Here the rules are simply undefined, and so neither interpretation would be strictly wrong.

4. "How does ongoing damage interact with Regeneration?"

My ruling is that because the PHB doesn't specify a specific order of these start-of-turn events, they all happen at the same time.

In other words, apply both ongoing damage and regeneration at the same time for a net result of (5-2=)3 damage.

If you've survived until the beginning of your turn, you get the benefits of regeneration even if ongoing damage takes you below zero at that time.

Again, the rulebook simply leaves this undefined. So the generous interpretation can't be said to be wrong, and I see no reason not to be generous here...

Infiniti2000

First Post
Again, the rulebook simply leaves this undefined. So the generous interpretation can't be said to be wrong, and I see no reason not to be generous here...

Actually, maybe the rules do say something here. Isn't there a rule about saying "yes" to the players? Therefore, if it's undefined, it's up to the player! :lol:

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Ongoing damage continues until a save is made. There is no mystical "end of the encounter" moment. It's just that it's typically assumed that when all danger is ceased, the PC rest for five minutes. However, while there is ongoing damage, there is still danger present.

trustad

First Post
The little box on page 41 of the DMG tries to clear up point 1- effects that last "until the end of the encounter" actually last about 5 minutes, or 50 rounds. If you can't hit a save in 50 rounds.... my sympathies.

Miphon

First Post
The combat isn't over until all of the characters are out of danger.
If people are still taking ongoing damage or making death saves, continue the initative order until everyone is safe or dead.

This is basically how I decide when an encounter is over in my game.

If the players are no longer in combat, then you could add a houserule to allow them to automatically end ongoing damage on their turn if they spend their turn actively trying to end the effect and their actions make sense in context of the effect (e.g. putting out flames in the case of fire damage, rinsing out wounds in the case of acid damage, etc.)

Remove ads