• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Only the Lonely: Why We Demand Official Product

Sadras

Legend
The core is the PHB, DMG and MM.

Max I feel it is safe to assume that their original concept could have evolved. I think at one point you and I might have been right with FR having been the core setting they would have focused on originally, but with 5e's success and dipping their toe into other settings (Ravenolf AP, Ravnica, Eberron & Mercer's settings books, Spelljammer and Greyhawk references/cameos) I think it is fair to say their "default setting" outlook has certainly been reassessed and likely amended.

EDIT: Even within the core there were references to other settings - we were all hoping at some stage they would explore those other settings...

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Max I feel it is safe to assume that their original concept could have evolved. I think at one point you and I might have been right with FR having been the core setting they would have focused on originally, but with 5e's success and dipping their toe into other settings (Ravenolf AP, Ravnica, Eberron & Mercer's settings books, Spelljammer and Greyhawk references/cameos) I think it is fair to say their "default setting" outlook has certainly been reassessed and likely amended.
That article was from right before release. It's more likely that Crawford pulled another retcon like he has done several times before on his rulings. The tweet definitely indicates that they no longer consider the Realms to be the core setting, but the Mearls interview indicates that the Realms was supposed to be the core setting when the game was released.

jasper

Rotten DM
You should by a WotC version, then.

Page 32. "...others form the ranks of soldiers in great wars..."

Form THE ranks. Not some ranks. Not a few ranks. But THE ranks, which means all the ranks for the great war. Great war. Not skirmish. Not battle. Not normal war. Not small war. GREAT war.
Is this the Great war of candy top mountain. The Great War of Shirts vs Skins in the back alley of Newark new Jeresy. Please give us the battle location. The dates of the war. Who was in charge of both sides.
I think the Great war of the Chisholm Bee vs the Davis Dukes was great for the peewee football league. Gee take a piece of fluff and make up a lot .

jasper

Rotten DM
Dude. It says GREAT WARS. Not raids. Not skirmishes. Not standing armies. Not a relatively few men.

Our standing army before WW2 was a quarter million. We upped it to nearly 1.5 million in 1941 and to over 3 million by 1942. You had a small army. We had the ranks to fight and win a great war.
Well Shoot fire. Me grandpappy was a dragon rider during that dust up. He told me he rode a white dragon and had a m-16 as his sidearm and his blade was two handed claymore. :)

ChaosOS

Legend
I think the most clear example of D&D officially using the multiverse but keeping FR the default example is the Weave sidebar in the spellcasting section -

PHB said:
The worlds within the D&D multiverse are magical places. All existence is suffused with magical power, and potential energy lies untapped in every rock, stream, and living creature, and even in the air itself. Raw magic is the stuff of creation, the mute and mindless will of existence, permeating every bit of matter and present in every manifestation of energy throughout the multiverse.

...The spellcasters of the Forgotten Realms call it the Weave and recognize its essence as the goddess Mystra, but casters have varied ways of naming and visualizing this interface. By any name, without the Weave, raw magic is locked away and inaccessible; the most powerful archmage can’t light a candle with magic in an area where the Weave has been torn...

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
So, your evidence is an interview in a non-gaming magazine interview? Where, again, he doesn't actually state that FR is the default, just that it starting off, the modules would be set in Forgotten Realms because it gives them lots to work with.

Huh.

0 for 2 in this thread on interpreting the English language so far @Maxperson. You want to go for three?
Wow, @Hussar, you may be the least-punished, yet most rude person I've ever seen on these forums. You are consistently nasty to other members, but, unlike the Cap'n, you are never punished, instead receiving praise in the form of likes and positive reactions. Do you actually think that it's acceptable to tell others that they have a "0 for 2 in this thread on interpreting the English language"?

Remove ads