[OOC Discussion] A Call for Lovers (DM: jbear Judge??)

treex

First Post
I'm done now, two things of note left is: the bonus from Eladrin Education (I dunno what that is, honestly, from what I see it's a bonus trained skill) and clearing up your powers.

Also I realize that your damage is tiny X_X.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I'm making progress, but slowly. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a bard, probably half-elf. I just need to create an account on the wiki so I can start figuring out the sheet format.

I apologize for my slowness - my attention span has just been completely shot lately.

Daeja

Explorer
My dmg is... not the most impressive. Is that going to upset people?
My husband is a huge min/max-er and I tend to just go with whatever... seems right to me... by comparison, which has, clearly, resulted in inferior damage. Hopefully that doesn't drive anyone nuts....

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
It doesn't bother me any (my damage is going to suck too), but for the purposes of which powers I pick, did you go with Thief or Rogue? If there aren't many PCs with good MBAs, it will change my build, and I don't care either way.

Daeja

Explorer
I went with Rogue, using just the PHB and martial power. I still need to pick a theme (who knew there were themes? *cough* No, I haven't made a character in 2+ years...), but yeah, my character is pretty basic :D

Son of Meepo

First Post
My dmg is... not the most impressive. Is that going to upset people?
My husband is a huge min/max-er and I tend to just go with whatever... seems right to me... by comparison, which has, clearly, resulted in inferior damage. Hopefully that doesn't drive anyone nuts....

Don't sweat it.

The difference between a d4 and a d8 (which is about the max you can get for a rogue without spending feats) is an average of 2 points.

That means your attacks with a dagger will do 2-6 points of damage less than if you used a rapier.

Most of the damage a rogue does is from sneak attack.

Plus you also have to consider the fact that rogues get +1 to attack with daggers, so that further closes the expected damage gap between daggers and other weapons.

Last edited:

Son of Meepo

First Post
I'm making progress, but slowly. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a bard, probably half-elf. I just need to create an account on the wiki so I can start figuring out the sheet format.

I apologize for my slowness - my attention span has just been completely shot lately.

Half-elves make great bards. Their stats are geared towards valorous bards, but don't overlook the other builds. One of my favorite PCs is a half-elf prescient bard that can strike hard like a ranger and still heal the party.

treex

First Post
In my defense...I'm asian XD
We like it when our numbers are big and stuff...

On another note: my character's name is read as thems, I named him after...some river or other, I can't recall.

Last edited:

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Okay, I'm partly done building my character (using the Vecna builder). I went with a Half-elf Skald partly because I already have a Half-elf Valourous Bard in a RL campaign, and partly to try out the Aura mechanic.

Stats:
Str 8
Con 14 +2
Dex 10 or 16
Int 10 or 16
Wis 12
Cha 16 +2

I took the Knack for Success power instead of cheesing a dilettante ability because it seemed more 'leaderly'.

I took Bard of All Trades; the only skill she will suck at is Athletics.

My damage is going to be bad.

My next decision point is whether to boost Int or Dex. I don't want to step on anyone's toes, and Dex is the obvious go-to for Initiative, having a RBA that isn't garbage, and being competent at stealth. Opinions?

Also, how much refluffing can we get away with?

Son of Meepo

First Post
Okay, I'm partly done building my character (using the Vecna builder). I went with a Half-elf Skald partly because I already have a Half-elf Valourous Bard in a RL campaign, and partly to try out the Aura mechanic.

Stats:
Str 8
Con 14 +2
Dex 10 or 16
Int 10 or 16
Wis 12
Cha 16 +2

I took the Knack for Success power instead of cheesing a dilettante ability because it seemed more 'leaderly'.

I took Bard of All Trades; the only skill she will suck at is Athletics.

My damage is going to be bad.

My next decision point is whether to boost Int or Dex. I don't want to step on anyone's toes, and Dex is the obvious go-to for Initiative, having a RBA that isn't garbage, and being competent at stealth. Opinions?

Also, how much refluffing can we get away with?

If you can push your Wis to 13, you can get access to the Disciple of Law feat, which is great for a bard (+5 to checks to aid another, and aid another proivdes +3 instead of +2).

Not sure if its allowed because of its fluff tied to Forgotten Realms, but if it is, Purple Dragon is a solid theme. Gives a stance you can use give a boost to your MBAs and at level 5 gives you an additional +1 when you aid another (whcih would be a total of +4 with Disciple of Law).

Remove ads