• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OOC discussion: Heroes of the House Tharashk! (Full)

Jarval

Explorer
cdsaint said:
Jarval,
I agree that arcane spell failure is not a problem for an Artificer.
Great :)

cdsaint said:
Two problems I noted with your character though are:

1) It looks to me like you accidentally spent 34 points on your stats. Please double check.
It might be that you didn't take the Warforged racial ability modifiers into account. They get +2 Strength, -2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma. I've included point costs for my character's ability scores below:

STR 16 (+3) (6 points, +2 racial bonus)
DEX 12 (+1) (4 points)
CON 12 (+1) (4 points)
INT 14 (+2) (6 points)
WIS 8 (-1) (2 points, -2 racial penalty)
CHA 14 (+2) (10 points, -2 racial penalty)

Total: 6 + 4 + 4 + 6 + 2 + 10 = 32.

cdsaint said:
2) Artificers have medium armor proficiency, Adamantine body is treated as if you are wearing heavy armor. This would mean that until 3rd level (or whenever you choose to take heavy armor proficiency) your armor check penalty of -5 will count against your attack rolls and all skill checks that involve moving. I'm just checking to make sure you're aware of this. Taking Mithral body instead would eliminate this problem, as would taking a level of any class that gives heavy armor proficiency.
That's what I thought at first, but Keith Baker (Hellcow on both EN World and the WotC boards) has a different take on this. If you look closely at the description on the warforged's Adamantine Body or Mithral Body, neither say you have and Armour Check Penalty, but rather that you take a penalty to skills to which an Armour Check Penalty applies. In either case, Keith has ruled that you're always considered proficient with your own body.

This thread has Keith's ruling on this matter (it's the fourth or fifth post down).

cdsaint

First Post
Jarval said:
Great :)

It might be that you didn't take the Warforged racial ability modifiers into account. They get +2 Strength, -2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma. I've included point costs for my character's ability scores below:

STR 16 (+3) (6 points, +2 racial bonus)
DEX 12 (+1) (4 points)
CON 12 (+1) (4 points)
INT 14 (+2) (6 points)
WIS 8 (-1) (2 points, -2 racial penalty)
CHA 14 (+2) (10 points, -2 racial penalty)

Total: 6 + 4 + 4 + 6 + 2 + 10 = 32.

That's what I thought at first, but Keith Baker (Hellcow on both EN World and the WotC boards) has a different take on this. If you look closely at the description on the warforged's Adamantine Body or Mithral Body, neither say you have and Armour Check Penalty, but rather that you take a penalty to skills to which an Armour Check Penalty applies. In either case, Keith has ruled that you're always considered proficient with your own body.

This thread has Keith's ruling on this matter (it's the fourth or fifth post down).

Jarval, I looked all over for info on the Adamantine body feat and proficiency, but couldn't find it anywhere. Problem solved, I think I can accept Hellcow's word on it.

As far as the point buy, I know where the problem is now. Warforged get a +2 to con, not str. that would account for the 2 extra pionts.

Chris

Last edited:

Jarval

Explorer
cdsaint said:
Jarval, I looked all over for info on the Adamantine body feat and proficiency, but couldn't find it anywhere. Problem solved, I think I can accept Hellcow's word on it.
I took some searching for me too. I'm hoping it'll be included in the Eberron FAQ, when they get around to producing one.

cdsaint said:
As far as the point buy, I know where the problem is now. Warforged get a +2 to con, not str. that would account for the 2 extra pionts.
Huh, so they do... :confused: Don't know how I made that slip. I'll fix it when I post the full version of my character. Well spotted :)

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
I've finished Cazanjan (equipment, spell lists, fixed skills). Let me know if he's good to go and I'll post him in the RG thread.

Nick

cdsaint

First Post
Looks good Kajamba, post him.

For everyone, one thing I forgot to mention is that you'll be starting in Zarash'ak in the Shadow Marches. Boats will be the main mode of transportation, horses and other livestock will be a major inconvenience. If you bought a horse, you might want to re-consider.

Chris

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads