• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[ooc] dnd - the nameless [thread closed]

Velmont

First Post
Well, I was pretty lucky on my rolls, a bit too much maybe, but well, it's happen some times :) So, here my commoner, not so common:

Hewik Leafwing
Male Tallfellow Halfling Commoner 1
Neutral Good
Str 7 (-2)
Dex 13 (+1)
Con 12 (+1)
Int 17 (+3)
Wis 17 (+3)
Cha 17 (+3)

HD: 1d4 + 1
HP: 5
Fort +2 = 0 (base) + 1 (con) + 1 (racial)
Reflex +2 = 0 (base) + 1 (dex) + 1 (racial)
Will +4 = 0 (base) + 1 (wis) + 1 (racial)
Init +1 = 1 (dex)

AC: 12 = 10 + 0 (Armor) + 0 (Shield) + 1 (Dex) + 1 (size)
Base Attack Bonus +0
Quatterstaff, small: -1 1d4-2 x2

Skills:
Climb: 0 = 2 (rank) - 2 (Str)
Craft (Leatherworking): 5 = 2 (rank) + 3 (Int)
Jump: 0 = 2 (rank) - 2 (Str)
Handle Animal: 12 = 4 (rank) + 3 (Cha) + 5 (feats)
Listen: 7 = 2 (rank) + 3 (Wis) + 2 (racial)
Profession (Herdsman): 6 = 3 (rank) + 3 (Wis)
Search: 5 = 0 (rank) + 3 (Int) + 2 (racial)
Spot: 7 = 2 (rank) + 3 (Wis) + 2 (racial)
Ride: 4 = 1 (rank) + 1 (Dex) + 2 (feat)
Use Rope: 3 = 2 (rank) + 1 (Dex)

Languages:
Common, Halfling, Elven, Dwarven, Gnomish

Feats:
Animal Affinity
Dodge
Mobility
Skill Focus: Handle Animal

Race Feature:
+2 Dexterity, –2 Strength.
Small: As a Small creature, a halfling gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
Halfling base land speed is 20 feet.
+1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
+2 morale bonus on saving throws against fear: This bonus stacks with the halfling’s +1 bonus on saving throws in general.
+1 racial bonus on attack rolls with thrown weapons and slings.
+2 racial bonus on Search, Spot, and Listen checks. Like an elf, a tallfellow who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check as though actively looking for it.
Automatic Languages: Common and Halfling. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, and Orc.
Favored Class: Rogue. A multiclass halfling’s rogue class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Class Feature:
Quatterstaff proficiency

Equipement:
Quatterstaff, small
Peasant's Outfit
To come: Ring of Protection +1

Prince:
Dog
Small Animal
Hit Dice: 1d8+2 (6 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+1 size, +3 Dex, +1 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/–3
Attack: Bite +2 melee (1d4+1)
Full Attack: Bite +2 melee (1d4+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Jump +7, Listen +5, Spot +5, Survival +1*
Feats: Alertness, Track
Tricks: Come, Gather, Fetch, Heel, Stay. Track

*Gather: Gather all the animal of a herd in one area.

Background:

Hewik is an orphan who was taken cared by a human farmer family. As all his brothers were more stronger than him, he was rarely working with them. His father were giving him more easy task, like taking care of the animals, who doesn't need the same strength than in the field. Fastly, he find himself near the animals, and had some easyness to make himself understood by the animals. At the age of 13, his father gave him a dog for his anniversery. He took care of his dog pretty much, and he fastly taught him some tricks. That pretty impress his family. In the next year, his father gave him the responsability of the sheeps. With the help of Prince, his dog, he was able to do guard the sheeps by himself. After only one year, he was able to do all the things by himself, as the animals were giving him almost no difficulty. Today, he is 19 years old. He si still at the farm with his adoptive family, taking care of the sheeps, the two cows and the chickens. The day are hard, but he loves to be with his animals, Prince the most. Once per week, his mother give him some help, so he may take a day off, but most of the time, he prefers to continu to work, and pass a god day of work with his mother.

Last edited:

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Shiny. Can I get in? (rolled a 4 on the first roll, netting me the intended warrior level).

(on a sort of cross-post from the rules thread this comes from, I can e-mail you the grim-n-gritty file. I think you might be interested if this works/doesn't work and you want to do more/try again)

doghead

thotd
OK. Here's where we stand:

1 :: Argent Silvermage :: Oscar De Reign :: Male Human Aristocrat1
2 :: NeuroZombie :: Sadolath :: Male Halfling Adept1
3 :: Velmont :: Hewik Leafwing ::Male Tallfellow Halfling Commoner 1
4 ::
Minimum party
5 ::
6 ::
Maximum party

There are expressions of interest from Manzanita, Greegan (How do and thanks) and Thomas Hobbes.

Based on my experience (and someone elses wisdom), I'll fill slots on the basis of posted character's. If someone has expressed an interest but real life prevents then from getting up a character before things fill up, we'll see what we can do.

I'd like to get 6, but also to get rolling asap, so at this point I am thinking of opening the IC thread (if we have 4) on the weekend. As there is not much IC that can be done before the goblins jump in, feel free to IC on this thread.

Thomas Hobbes said:
Shiny. Can I get in?

Looks good. But don't mention the dragon. I'll keep an eye open for the email.

Greegan

First Post
Sorry, wasn't aware of the procedure...I'll post someone here in a few minutes. Look for a human commoner. Sorry to be slow on the uptake....

doghead

thotd
Hey, thats cool. There's still space and its not an ironclad rule.

Its just that a number of DM's have had the experience of people expressing interest then disappearing. People who have spent the time to create a character are less likely to do so, so I decided to go with that latter for selection.

A rough and ready concept plus basic stats will do the job.

And I'm doghead. Nice to meet you and welcome to ENWorld.

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Character concept:
Cromwell of St. Richard's
Half-orc Warrior 1

Cromwell doesn't know who birthed him, and doesn't care. His family are the priests who raised him, and the family patriarch is St. Cuthbert, whom he regards as a strong, strict, but loving father figure. Cromwell (named by the monks of the monastary of St. Richard) was given to the church as a baby, the unwanted and unfortunate byproduct of an Orcish raid. He believes with a fanatic's blind faith in everything St. Cuthbert stands for, and although the Saint of the Cudgel has choosen to give others greater talents in spellcasting and fighting, he will serve wherever his God sends him. Currently, that is as a roaming lawman, enforcing the laws of [whatever noble, king, or other authority you find useful, or simply of the Church], or as a member of a village malitia, or what have you.

Basic stats: rolled 16, 14, 14, 13, 8, 8. Total of 27 points, add 3 points (1 to the 13, making it 14, and 2 to an 8, making it 10). Distribute it for Strength 16, Dexterity 10, Consitution 14, Intelligence 14, Wisdom 14, Charisma 8. After racial modifiers, that becomes Strength 18, Dexterity 10, Constitution 14, Intelligence 12, Wisdom 14, Charisma 6. Put skill ranks into Knowledge: Religion, Knowledge: Local (or whatever gives knowledge of the law) and Intimidate.

Cromwell's a tank. Scale mail, heavy steel shield, heavy mace. First level feat is weapon focus: Mace. He's proboably going to stick with warrior until he's allowed to take either Cleric or Fighter, or an appropriate PrC. Nifty item will proboably be Full Plate (if that's kosher; magic weapon or shield if not. Or maybe... yeah, a phylactery of faithfulness! Hmm, we'll see....)

Greegan

First Post
Archer Pathfinder
Male Human Commoner 1
Brown Hair, Brown Eyes
6'1" / 187
Chaotic Good

Str 12 (+1)
Dex 18 (+4)
Con 10 (+0)
Int 17 (+3)
Wis 11 (+0)
Cha 17 (+3)

HD: 1d4
HP: 4
Fort +0
Reflex +0
Will +0
Init +4 = 4 (dex)

AC: 14 = 10 + 0 (Armor) + 0 (Shield) + 4 (Dex)
Base Attack Bonus +0

Skills (24):
Climb: +2 = 2 (rank) + 1 (Str)
Craft (Alchemy): +6 = 3 (rank) + 3 (Int)
Bluff*: +5 = 2(cc) (rank) + 3 (Cha)
Jump: +3 = 2 (rank) + 1 (Str)
Handle Animal: +7 = 4 (rank) + 3 (Cha)
Listen: +4 = 4 (rank) + 0 (Wis)
Profession (Innkeeper): +2 = 2 (rank) + 0 (Wis)
Spot: +5 = 2 (rank) + 3 (Wis)
Ride: +4 = 0 (rank) + 4 (Dex)
Use Rope: +5 = 1 (rank) + 4 (Dex)
*descretionary skill given based on his past storytelling experience

Languages:
Common, Orcish, Dwarven, Gnomish

Feats:
Combat Expertise
Dodge
Mobility
Run

Race Feature:
+4 Skill Points at 1st Level / +1 each additional level
+1 Bonus Feat at 1st Level
Any Class Cross Level

Equipement:
Longbow (11 arrows)
Staff (proficient)
Dagger
Peasant's Outfit
Lute
Cloak of Elvenkind (His brother's gift for service to the crown)
Helmet
Sack, polka-dotted (red and white)
1 week meager rations

Background:
Archer's hamlet was one of many drained of able-bodied men a few years ago in order to feed his lord and king's war effort against would-be usurpers. Too young at the time to be a truly competent warrior, Archer was left behind, but his brother was conscripted into the King's service as a scout for His Majesty's personal "Companion" entourage (a contingent of the most trusted men in the Kings army, comprising some 1,000 men-at-arms).

While his brother was away at war, Archer was deemed a worthy apprentice and possible successor to the Hedge Wizard of the village and his widowed father scraped together what coin he could to buy him an apprenticeship with old Wilfrem the Whitebeard. Archer excelled in everything he was able to study, but unfortunately need outweighed desire and he was forced to spend much of his time as a stableboy and tableboy at the inn for money to help his increasingly ill (drunk) father.

His brother returned, one less hand and strongly favoring his left leg, but returned, none-the-less. His money pouch was full (as were several pockets) and his tales of glory and battle seemed endless. With his gold he bought the inn and regailed the nightly crowd with his epic stories. Unfortunately, his wanderlust acquired in his travels were not satisfied with his new humble status as Innkeeper. His brother wanted adventure...and so too did Archer.

It was not meant to be. Everyday they would practice fighting and Archer had even began to learn the fine art of his namesake, for his brother was exceptionally skilled with a bow. They saved money, bought what meager equipment their hamlet could provide and were very near the day they would strike off into the great unknown when disaster struck.

Archer awoke one night, very late in the evening to a crash and loud voices in the common room of the inn. Peeking in, he saw several strangers in a heated discussion with his brother, two of which he recognized as patrons earlier that evening (one of whom, the man with tattoos all over his face, had scared him terribly with some sort of illusory magiks). With a growing sense of urgency, Archer scrambled back to his room to get his dagger when all of the Nine Hells came crashing down around him...he remembers fire and an overwhelming blow to the head.

When he woke, albeit briefly, he remembered seeing his brother's face above him, burnt and bloody....he was outside, his brother body had a orange glow around it and he could see plumes of black smoke and smell the tang of burning wood...Everything's fine now...you're safe... his brother had said before falling out of his view. Everything again went black.

That was three months ago. Archer, after burying his brother next to his mother and father (who had died earlier the previous year), left for the nearest town, hoping to gain employ there with the local lord or perhaps even follow in his brother's footsteps in the King's Companions....his travelling surname, taken as an honorific to his brother.

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
OK. Greegan and TH makes it 5 of 6.

There are some things to go over first but got to dash now.

I'll update the thread this evening and get started on the IC asap.

happyhead

Greegan

First Post
Thanks for the welcome! I'm very glad I found this site and I'm super happy I was able to get into your game!! Sounds like a blast!!!

I added Cloak of Elvenkind since I forgot the magic item :)

Thanks again!!

Remove ads