• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OOC] Heroes of the Middle Reaches : Wandering Star

nerdytenor

First Post
I've just had a quick look at some of the games I am in and every GM does it differently!

Indeed. I think listing the base defenses is reasonable, either at the outset or after the first full round. Also, another thing to consider - being slightly loose with the initiative order can also speed things up. So if you have:

Monster one
Player One
Player Two
Player Three
Monster two
Player Four

Then you might as well have player one, two, and three post in whatever order they want once Monster one acts, since they could change their order by delaying anyway. I was a little worried about taking this approach myself, but things haven't gotten out of hand yet.

- nt

P.S Digger - In the IC thread I think helium was wondering if you included your sneak-attack damage from your last attack since you had combat advantage. Unless you already used sneak attack that round...

Last edited:

The Digger

First Post
Good point about the Sneak Attack. I suppose I'm just too honest and straight-forward to be a good rogue.

Almost forgot. Your initiative idea is used by several others and seems to work reasonably. However just as many work on the -your turn- idea and that works fine also. I remain neutral, your honour.

Redclaw

First Post
Yeah, I'm relatively neutral on the initiative method as well. There's certainly some benefit to keeping the turns distinct, but it adds time to the process.

As for my initial (initiative) question, I don't want you to go back and change things, I was just trying to figure out how to set things up in the future. I'm fine with the ruling that we need to state that we're waiting for a specific even on a delay. Varilar will make do. ;)

Actually, I just went back to see what I had originally posted about the delay, and since I said I was delaying until I could reach someone to attack, I guess I will step in after charlie. I'm sure I'll still take damage, although I shouldn't be subject to sneak attack from the halfling, if that's what happened.

Last edited:

nerdytenor

First Post
Just wanted to add I think things are going very well as is - just throwing out some possibilities along the speed/chaos continuum.

Cheers,
nt

Sparky

Likewise, I think it's going very well. I agree that you should call for actions in batches whenever possible and resolve them in order.

I used this for myself for a large 3.5e combat, adding columns as needed (when players needed to make climb checks, fort saves, etc)...

Google Docs - Example, Opening Combat

It could be simplified for players to show less 'behind the screen' info, but have initiative order, conditions, states (bloodied, prone) etc all in one place, I know that would help me... the graphical boards are pretty, but not as functional as an all-in-one.

helium3

First Post
Initiative Order

Interesting idea with handling initiative in batches like that. I had considered doing that in my IRL game but decided it was too radical for them. I have no problem utilizing that method in this game. I wouldn't have to put little initiative numbers on the board tokens and I'm down with that.

Delaying & Readying

In the future, when your delay you simply need to state which character or monster you will go after. If your want to make your action contingent on something else you're readying an action and you need to be specific about what exactly the trigger for your readied action is.

In either case, if the delay or ready means that you go all the way to your next turn without acting you get to take two sequential turns in the manner that Ranver just did.

I'm toying with the idea of Delaying and Readying not actually changing your initiative count. What's everyone's thoughts on this?

Conditions Board

I am noting the difference between similar creatures with colors and using mini's that match. When attacking be sure to include the color of your target if applicable. I think that'll help a lot with us all being on the same page about which creature is doing what.

I will post whether or not a creature is bloodied or zeroed but I agree with The Digger on the dramatic benefits of not knowing the exact hit points of an opponent. I will go ahead and start posting defense scores though.

helium3

First Post
Likewise, I think it's going very well. I agree that you should call for actions in batches whenever possible and resolve them in order.

I used this for myself for a large 3.5e combat, adding columns as needed (when players needed to make climb checks, fort saves, etc)...

Google Docs - Example, Opening Combat

It could be simplified for players to show less 'behind the screen' info, but have initiative order, conditions, states (bloodied, prone) etc all in one place, I know that would help me... the graphical boards are pretty, but not as functional as an all-in-one.

I like the google docs idea. I may switch to that if I get to the point where I give up on coding an app that lets me track things easily via the web.

helium3

First Post
Yeah, I'm relatively neutral on the initiative method as well. There's certainly some benefit to keeping the turns distinct, but it adds time to the process.

As for my initial (initiative) question, I don't want you to go back and change things, I was just trying to figure out how to set things up in the future. I'm fine with the ruling that we need to state that we're waiting for a specific even on a delay. Varilar will make do. ;)

Actually, I just went back to see what I had originally posted about the delay, and since I said I was delaying until I could reach someone to attack, I guess I will step in after charlie. I'm sure I'll still take damage, although I shouldn't be subject to sneak attack from the halfling, if that's what happened.

It's all good. I'm happy with how things are progressing in this encounter. The Sea Devil's the main event anyway. :devil:

helium3

First Post
If you'd like for me to modify the colors on your digital mini, let me know. It's well within my capabilities. Just specify the part of the image you want changed and the color you want and I'll do my best to comply.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
If you'd like for me to modify the colors on your digital mini, let me know. It's well within my capabilities. Just specify the part of the image you want changed and the color you want and I'll do my best to comply.

Well, if you want to take a try, could you flip the colors of Z's armor and skin. I'd like him to have bronzy armor and silvery scales instead the other way round :D

And the sword would be nicer if it had some sort of metallic hue instead of being bone-white

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads