• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OOC] OA/Mahasarpa Campaign: Lotus and the Cobra

Yellow Sign

Explorer
Greeting, I am starting up a Oriental Adventures play by post game in the Mahasarpa ("great serpent") campaign setting which draws from India and Hindu Southeast Asia for its inspiration. A free Web Enhancement with campaign information can be found on the Wizards of the Coast website.

Centuries ago, the great kingdom of Mahasarpa ruled seven smaller kingdoms and controlled all of the lands along the Bahanis River from the Adribandha Mountains to the coast as well as the Kokaha Steppes north of the Adribandhas. However, a mad maharajah came to power and through arrogance and foolish pride alienated the seven kingdoms and Nagini, their serpent queen patron deity. The rajahs of the lesser kingdoms rebelled, and Nagini placed a curse on the people of Mahanaga, transforming them into yuan-ti. Their city then decayed and the Mahayana Forest overtook their lands.

The people of the seven kingdoms are divided into four varnas (castes) plus untouchables. The highest varnas are the Brahmins, the shamans of the seven kingdoms. Next are the Kshatriyas, the warrior caste and wielders of temporal authority. Below the Kshatriyas are the vaishyas, the merchant caste, and the shudras, comprised of farmers, herders, and servants.

The seven kingdoms are Bhalluka, Gandharva, Kokaha, Lakshmana, Naga, Singha, and Vriscika. Bhalluka lies in the grasslands west of the Mahayana Forest and that its people are dedicated to warfare against the yuan-ti of the Mahayana. Gandharva is a theocracy to the east of the Mahayana. Kokaha is the land of the horse steppe nomads north of the Adribandhas. Lakshmana is the coastal kingdom where the Bahanis River meets the sea. Lakshmana is a luxurious land far removed from the terrors of the Mahayana Forest. The Naga is the kingdom of the Adribandha Mountain and is known for its monks and ascetic warriors. Singha is a kingdom of elite warriors south of the Mahayana that prefer warfare in the open grasslands over confronting the terrors of the forest (But it will undoubtedly be referred to by players as the bear kingdom). Vriscika is the decadent kingdom whose capital is on an island in the Bahanis River between Singha and Lakshmana.

Humans are the prevalent race in the Seven Kingdoms, but players can also choose to play shapechanging Hengeyokai (monkey or mongoose only), Spirit Folk (river or sea only), Vanara (hirsute monkey-like humanoids), or Aasimar (planetouched). Available classes include psychic warrior, shaman, sohei, rogue, samurai, sorceror, monk, ranger, fighter, wu jen, barbarian, and psion. Two new domains are provided: Meditation, for the Brahmins, and Serpent for the yuan-ti. Available prestige classes include Bear Warrior, Hanshin Mystic, Kishi Charger, Ninja Spy, Shadow Scout, Shapeshifter, Singh Rager, Tattooed Monk, Void Disciple, Weapon Master, and Witch Hunter from OA, Soulknife from the Psionics Handbook, and Assassin.

I am looking for four players who will build characters using 15,000 experience points and a 32 point stat build.

Any questions?

[EDIT: Fixed web link}

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
One Question

Do I need OA to play?

I never got OA cause I didn't like Rokugan - this however looks very cool so if I am able to use the PHB (and SRD re the psychic Warrior) then yep I'm up for the challenge...

Yellow Sign

Explorer
You don't need Oriental Adventures to play, though alot of the classes, feats, and equipment are in the book. If you wanted to just use the PHB, fine by me.

Daiymo

First Post
I'd love to play in a non Roku OA game.

Bhima, a Vanara wandering Shaman methinks.

Count me in :)

Last edited:

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
I'm in.

I have an old, Indian-style PC that I'd love to convert over. He was originally a 1st ed kensai, which was a weapon master core class. He used a bow instead of a sword, though, since he was a devotee of the god Rama. He'd definately be a member of the kshatriya caste. Basic fighter unless you'll let me switch the samurai's daisho weapon to a bow. Prestige class possibilities are weapon master or, if you'll allow it, Order of the Bow from Sword & Fist.

Jarval

Explorer
Sounds like an interesting game, but I'm in quite a few already. So, I'll play if you'll have me, but I'm willing to step aside for people who are in fewer games.

Oh, and thanks for the pointer to the OA freebie, I'd missed that until now :)

Mirth

Explorer
I'm so totally in for this game!!!!

I created Zhangyong (below) for a Spelljammer PbP game here that pretty much died before it started. I'm pasting him here and I'll tweak his background and things when I have more time later today. Let me know if this is okay :D

Zhangyong -Vanaran Brahmin from Bhalluka. Updated version now in the Rogues Gallery!

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads