(OOC) Scourge of Daggerford (Full)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
... Because everything is so otherwise SLOW in PBP, I believe in making levelling fast (compared to the number of encounters and the XP you would normally get for them). I mean, it would take *years* to get anywhere otherwise.

tglassy

Adventurer
I think I'm going to spice things up and take the Undying Warlock. I kept trying to find "Optimized" things for him, making him a fighter with fighter stats, thinking "Well, if I just stick with Fighter, he'll get stronger and stronger."

But thing is, I've never gotten involved in his story. If he had a STORY to play, that would be interesting. An arch. Inner demons to face. Making him afraid of death, at least right now, is a great flaw to give him. Having him decide to take a pact with an Undying Patron, granting him power over death, would make sense.

That said, how would you want to play the relationship between him and the Patron? How do you handle Warlocks in general? I think it'd be fun if you, the DM, either chose or rolled up some of the flavor things in Xanathar's for Warlocks, such as the Patron's Attitude, the Special Terms of the Pact, and/or the Binding Mark. I'd roll of it, but Titus shouldn't have control over the Patron. That's the DM's job.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
It's true that one of my favorite things DMing here (over F2F) is my ability to mull things over on the spot, before posting. I have to react on the fly in F2F. I'm also not a DM who does much prep (it's pointless, I forget everything I prep anyway). Anyway, my point is: I've never fleshed out a Warlock's patron before, because I can't be bothered, but I LOVE writing NPCs here. So why wouldn't I love writing and characterizing a patron?

You're on. I'll take a look at Xanathar's and get back to you.

tglassy

Adventurer
Oh I love patrons. When I DM, I look at it like the Patron is TEACHING secret magic to the Warlock, so even if the Warlock disobeys, the Patron can’t just take the power away, like a Cleric’s Deity can. He’s not channeling the power, he’s learning it.

So when I’ve had Warlocks, I play it that the Patron asks for a favor or something every level. If the Warlock doesn’t complete the favor, either during play or during downtime, he can’t level up as a Warlock. The favors are based on the Patron, so for Archfey, it could be random things as Fey are random. For Great Old Ones, it’s weird, nonsensical things. For Fiends, it’s acts of evil. They start small, like steal candy from a baby, and cumulate with sacrificing a virgin during a New Moon if you want to get lvl 20.

What? You made a pact with a Demon. What did you EXPECT him to ask for?

This you’re deal, though, so how it works and what the patrons motives are, and all of it, are completely up to you. The only thing I ask is that the Patron not be Undead. If that limits you too much and you have a great idea for that, then you’re in charge. But many of the powers are related to extending ones natural life, I feel like an Undead Undying Patron just doesn’t make sense.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Tommi is levelled up, following scout in XGTE (as planned).

Also, a question. I'm wondering if you'd consider allowing him some retraining. I'm finding it awkward to use Guidance as a cantrip in online games (a problem I've encountered before) because of the asynchronous play. I'm wondering if you'd consider letting him substitute (now, or at the beginning of his next level) either Druidcraft or Mending (both on the Druid list; neither with offensive uses).

I was having similar doubts about his expertise in Deception. Tommi's a nicer guy than I thought he'd be, but I think he has the ability to deceive in him, even if he's not using it.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Tommi is levelled up, following scout in XGTE (as planned).

Also, a question. I'm wondering if you'd consider allowing him some retraining. I'm finding it awkward to use Guidance as a cantrip in online games (a problem I've encountered before) because of the asynchronous play. I'm wondering if you'd consider letting him substitute (now, or at the beginning of his next level) either Druidcraft or Mending (both on the Druid list; neither with offensive uses).

I was having similar doubts about his expertise in Deception. Tommi's a nicer guy than I thought he'd be, but I think he has the ability to deceive in him, even if he's not using it.

I can't say I even remember Tommi having Guidance. I'd be fine with you retraining right away. Feel free to move the expertise as well. Anything that follows the rules that make him seem like Tommi is fine by me.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The only thing I ask is that the Patron not be Undead. If that limits you too much and you have a great idea for that, then you’re in charge. But many of the powers are related to extending ones natural life, I feel like an Undead Undying Patron just doesn’t make sense.

Yeah. Makes sense. Though it isn't always easy to come up with something that says "Immortal" in D&D without being Celesltial, Fey, Fiend, or Aberration. Though I suppose the patron could still be one of those but with a different focus than the norm. What type of Pact are you thinking of? It might influence my idea of Patron.

Remove ads