(OOC) Scourge of Daggerford (Full)

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
For cutting words and similar reactions...I can see it is useful for the flow, but how would you know if he missed by 3, 4 or 7?
How about you specify some d20 range...say...if he rolls 10-14 use the reaction?

Funky thing is, I'm playing a bard in another adventure and completly forgot about it.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Again, hard to be sure especially since I don't track everyone's AC. Basically I leave it up to Fitz's determination to decide when to roll it.

On a side note, I went Lore partly because people never seemed to use their inspiration dice. If I ever play a bard in person I swear I'm going to bust out a handfull of giant D6's and hand them out when I use the ability.

I think that's exactly the point, you cannot be sure and there is a (small) chance you will waste it either by rolling low or missing the range by a small margin.

It is a powerful ability, but not bulletproof.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
If I don't forget it's available (and absolutely remind me in your posts, or I'll forget) I can be trusted to use them like I would if I was playing a bard in the game, which is, I make a quick vague probability calculation and give it a shot.

Out of the box thinking. Declare you reaction spell use ahead of time. Make the spell a recharge ability like a monster has. If the mockery fails to prevent the attack from hitting. Roll a d6 on a 5 or 6, the spell slot is not lost. This cuts down of the back and forth nature of:

DM: Monster x is going to attack PC m. Bard are you going to use your reaction.
Bard: No
DM: Monster y is going to attack PC n. Bard are you going to use your reaction.
Bard: No
DM: Monster z is going to attack PC o. Bard are you going to use your reaction.
Bard: Yes. (roll d6.) 4

It probably can also be used for things like the battle master having reaction abilities. Wizards with the shield spell. Etc.

The important part is on the player's turn, they have to declare the reaction the will take for an action that might never happen.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Reactions are minorly problematic in PBP, but really, who cares much if you just say:

DM: Monster X does 12 damage to PC M!
Bard: I use my reaction to stop it.
DM: (erases damage)

That's how we usually do it, unless the player warns me of the reaction ahead of time, then I just factor it in.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Hey, at least it wasn't as bad as that one time...

Mord: I prepare to counyerspell these casters.

DM: Caster throws his spell that's really annoying at random PC.

Victim PC: Fails save and narrates horrible outcome.

Mord: But mord counterspells and it was actually in victim PC's head. Rewind and continue on.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
It would really make it easier if everyone declared reactions and common triggers for them up front.
Gargoyleking does a good job with that and it is fine. It is just 'I know by how much it misses/hits' part I have difficulty with.
In this case, it is not my game, way to let the DM sort it out.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases