(OOC) Scourge of Daggerford (Full)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I meant racial elf bonus +2 dex

Oh, you mean you put an 8 in his Dex, so he's about as non-graceful as elves get.

(Or you mean his Dex should be 12, but then you'd be rolling at +1, so I assume you mean the above.)

I feel that he should have been pretty graceful in his youth, but the sum of his injuries has made him inflexible and probably has a slight limp.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Okay, let's get an encounter going. A few quick notes:

The land goes downward to the south-west (down on the map) and steeply upward to the north-east (up on the map). It's a steep climb up to the road from where most of you are. My intention is that you have to travel along under that grey cliff (moving toward the right on the map) and then switch-back above it behind the boulder that Dandin, Escella, and two of the guards are behind. Yes, that puts Vairar in the back (punishment for the lowest roll, I guess). Does that make sense?

I'm giving you Surprise, so none of the orcs will act this round. I suppose it's possible that everyone could conceivably take actions that still won't alert them, but as we're moving into combat-rounds, that would take actually taking the hide action on your turn (no free Stealth anymore, action-economy-wise - you still have +10 to the check, though.) So if you want to Hide, go ahead, but it follows the usual rules (by which I mean, you must move into a place that has cover and take the Hide Action on your turn). The good news is, most places anywhere near you can provide cover - the bad news is it's pretty much all Difficult Terrain as well.

All the orcs that are currently on the map can be easily spotted if it makes sense for you to be somewhere that can spot them (obviously you can't see anything at all from where Darfin is at the bottom of the little cliff, for example) and the ones in the top-right corner are both in shadows, and behind a lot of bushes, but they're talking (they're not saying anything interesting at the moment, if you understand orcish).

All this is to say, if you think your character has a reason to be aware of any orc on the map, then I agree - that character is aware of that orc. Use your judgement about it. I trust you. After I see what you all do, I'll decide if/when the orcs become aware of you. It all depends....

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
To the group: I think the only question for us is whether we spend one turn hiding and getting closer to the road, or if we begin attacks this round. I think I can get Tommi into position to attack Q18, but no one else will be within his reach in round 1. Thoughts, team?

First, a question: Vairar has to move east first and then can see/attack? Or he can go straight north? It looks like he is at the bottom of the cliff which means he doesn't see anything or anyone :)

Actions: everyone ready ranged attacks and let Vairar sneak up with the elflord and Angis. If we fail, you get your shots. If not, we're closer to the action. I can open with guiding bolt...or bless if I cannot attack.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yeah sorry if this is a bit complicated. I originally had you up on the road but I figured that sneaking up made more sense if you were off it. They are watching the road.

Yes Vairar needs to go east around the cliff before going north. (That or climb 30 feet to go 10 feet north). I will waive the difficult terrain penalty while moving along the base of the cliff (relatively flat and sparse of vegetation) so you can catch up quicker. As can Angis and Delfin.

Tommi is just rounding the bend and can move any direction, but unless he follows Escella to behind the boulder, he's gotta push through the underbrush. Interestingly his spell boon causes the bushes to barely move as goes through. Without it, the orcs would probably notice. This goes for everyone else too, though Dandin is mostly slipping under (his high roll).

Remove ads