Order your Star Wars films

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I mean, it's more that Campbell's universalizations leave out the storytelling traditions of most of the planet. You'll never guess which cultures didn't factor in to his research!

It's not a bad a way to write a story (as Lucas has proved; it's also served Disney well for decades at this point) but it's neither (a) the only way to tell a heroic story, nor (b) have all stories across the globe and throughout history conformed even remotely close to it, which were Campbell's key assertions.

Mercurius

Legend

Oh, OK - sorry, I guess I should have read on ;).

I don't disagree that they're not as universal as Campbell claimed, or that there are other ways to tell a heroic story. We're in general agreement on both accounts. But I don't think that "discredits" the meaningfulness of his ideas. And it is important to understand that he wasn't primarily talking about telling stories--that came later, when people applied his work to screenwriting and such--but the human journey.

I do think that the basic idea of the "hero's journey" is rather universal, although the landscape can be quite different and variable. That is, how it unfolds is different for each and every one of us, but there are underlying archetypal patterns. Campbell was riffing off of Jung, and so his work should be understood archetypally and not literally. In other words, he was talking about deep mythic patterns in consciousness, collective and individual, not quantifiable mechanisms.

Zardnaar

Legend
Really? Third best opening weekend of all time, behind the other two sequels. Is there any doubt that this is going to be a success?

The opening underperformed it came right on the bottom of the projections.

Well know more on Monday or so the drop off is key. It hasn't broken even yet.

I don't think it will flop but one way or another you can make some good predictions after the second weekend.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Really? Third best opening weekend of all time, behind the other two sequels. Is there any doubt that this is going to be a success?
I'll predict that RoS makes back its own expenses (and provides the management team with a nice bonus check) plus some, but will not provide the next Star Wars movie with an adequate cash bankroll, ready-to-spend.

Hussar

Legend
Holy crap. How well does it need to do? Third best of all time isn’t good enough. What it’s not a success if it doesn’t do better than the one before it? Talk about goal posts on roller skates.

Zardnaar

Legend
Holy crap. How well does it need to do? Third best of all time isn’t good enough. What it’s not a success if it doesn’t do better than the one before it? Talk about goal posts on roller skates.

Figure thrown about is a billion dollar expectation.

It's break even point is somewhere probably around 600-700 million but could be close to 800 million.

If they "only" make a billion their profit is a couple of hundred million minus tax. Possibly less.

They get about 60% of the box office on average, less in foreign markets. The problem being they've probably spent 250+ million to make it, and 100 million+ on marketing and that's probably conservative on the marketing.

Note they made 700 million on TFA on 2 billion dollars. TLJ made 1.3 billion but it hits their profit. TLJ had a big drop off week 2, their movie got less than TLJ opening weekend.

If they've spent more like 400+ million on 1 billion they make "only" 200 million. And some estimates of the movie costs are higher than 400 million.

Movie might bomb if they get much lower than a billion or come close to it.

If the movie drops 25-30% week that's good. If it drops 70% that's bad and yeah could be interesting.

3 numbers

They get about 60% if the box office

Break even is roughly double the movie+ marketing costs. Usually slightly less.

60% of the box office is first 2 weeks.

We'll have a rough idea how well the movie will do by looking at the drop off this week and maybe one after it.

Last edited:

Remove ads