How I'd fix Star Wars

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
[...] the part they missed is that Star Wars is a fairy tale, and the Return of the Jedi is the end of that fairy tale. You don't continue a fairy tale by saying the Happily Ever after was a bust (Han and Leia separating, Luke giving up on the personal growth he already had through two movies, etc).
I'm not sure the OT is a fairy tale - or at least I don't see it that way. I see it as more like something from mythology or legend.

Regarding Luke, there are plenty of heroes from legend who make a big mistake after their big victory. I don't have a problem with Luke's fall 20+ years after ROTJ.

I figure Luke, Han, Leia, and the rest had 20-some years to have all the adventures we think they should have had, before things went south for them.

I actually find Han and Leia's falling apart harder to deal with than Luke's fall. It's more realistic, but a) who needs that in SW?, and b) something more epic would have suited the world better. I don't know what that would have been, but just generally being separated by forces greater than themselves.

MarkB

Legend
And I think he nailed the Star Wars FEEL because of that love of the first two films. However, the part they missed is that Star Wars is a fairy tale, and the Return of the Jedi is the end of that fairy tale. You don't continue a fairy tale by saying the Happily Ever after was a bust (Han and Leia separating, Luke giving up on the personal growth he already had through two movies, etc).
That part I agree with, and it's why a lot of the old EU material never sat well with me. Much as it's nice to see more of these characters, to me they'd earned their happy endings, and I was never interested in seeing them thrown back into conflict after conflict.

Zardnaar

Legend
That part I agree with, and it's why a lot of the old EU material never sat well with me. Much as it's nice to see more of these characters, to me they'd earned their happy endings, and I was never interested in seeing them thrown back into conflict after conflict.

They didn't gave that much of a happy ending. 2/3 of Hans kids die along with Chewie.

The revival started with Heir to the Empire which I thought followed up the OT really well.

Even as late as TFA I think they could have righted the boat so to speak.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Other point is after empire age a lot of things happened, too much to be in only one or two generations, and these too linked with Skywalker family.

I don't mind a lack of Skywalker.

BUT if you're making VII, VIII and IX better have Skywalker in it. Otherwise xal your movies soneth8ng else or make something else.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
If you're doing a trilogy then you bring in the same team on all three, if at all possible. If you don't, you get the sort of creative fight that we got in the sequels.
You can have different teams, but you need to have a roadmap for all three films, and all the teams are aware of it and adhere to it. It is clear to me that the sequels did not have such a plan, much less buy-in by all the players.

Ryujin

Legend
You can have different teams, but you need to have a roadmap for all three films, and all the teams are aware of it and adhere to it. It is clear to me that the sequels did not have such a plan, much less buy-in by all the players.
That would require a producer/production team that is more than a title in the credits, which seems to be quite rare these days. Hell, I could have had 3 producer credits on IMDB by now.

Last edited:

Maybe we want to imagine Star Wars as a TTRPG universe, created to allow lots of stories in different ages and places.

Fandom could write and publish their own version of reboot, mixing elements from movies and legends, for example several waves of yuuzan vong invaders in the History of the Galaxy.

Ryujin

Legend
Maybe we want to imagine Star Wars as a TTRPG universe, created to allow lots of stories in different ages and places.

Fandom could write and publish their own version of reboot, mixing elements from movies and legends, for example several waves of yuuzan vong invaders in the History of the Galaxy.
I don't think that my old group's WEG RPG sessions would make for good content. My Young Jedi tended to do a lot of defending, rather than attacking, with resulted in there being many, many severed limbs along the way.

Remove ads