Ruling the Galaxy

Zardnaar

Legend
Somewhat daft idea for a hypothetical. How woukd you rule the Star Wars Galaxy?

Some basic facts.

The Republic lasted for 25000 years/1000 generations (legends/canon)

Palpatines Empire lasted 22 years becoming thr Imperial Remnants/Remnant.Gideon is one of the Imperial Remnants, Pelleon ruled the Imperial Remnant.

The New Republic fell in both canon and legends in 20-30 years.

Republics main problem is to many bad faith actors and factions to make it work. Empires main problem is its a totalitarian dark side Empire bound up in the will of one person.

And in their universe the force exists and its theoretically impossible to completely wipe out the Jedi or Sith even if you kill every single member. Holocrons and force ghosts/spirits exists.

So there's the Sith/random dark side groups to consider as well.

So how woukd you do it? Light side imperium, no more galactic republic/Empire (breaking it up into smaller more coherent regimes). Glowing plasma swords may not be the most effective form of government!!.

Nothing lasts forever the Republic laster for thousands of years best we have managed irl is 1000-3000 years being generous (Byzantium, China, Egypt).

MarkB

Legend
The Republic's problem was becoming so top-heavy and bureaucratic that it could no longer effectively respond to individual systems' needs and govern fairly.

Ruling a galaxy is impractical. At best, the Republic should have been restructured into a loose group of independent regions co-operating together for mutual support. A Federation, if you like.

aco175

Legend
I could have a secret spy network and rotate all the regional governors to help prevent fraud and insurrection. That might get tiring and lead me to become paranoid. I could give out more freedom and hope the regional areas vote for good people that oversee fairly. Personally I believe in more individual freedoms and likely have a loose group of regions like what @MarkB said above.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I'd turn it over to the Hutts. They seem good at running multicultural organizations, show an appreciation for music art and food, and know how to delegate effectively. I think two-legged bias has kept them from governance. We need to look past their corpulent, slug-like forms and see the incredible governors hidden within!

Ryujin

Legend
Perhaps let systems, or clusters of systems, rule themselves within certain centrally defined parameters. With the threat of the Peace Moon to blow up planets if they get too uppity.
I was thinking much the same thing. Just be hands off when it comes to internal politics and only deal with issues that potentially have an effect upon all such as trade and smuggling, immigration, military conflict, and the like. Getting too granular on what you control results in far too much bureaucracy.

It's a galaxy built on plot convenience and moral clarity. Making specific plans seems illogical when whole planets or regions of planets come into existence to suit the plot need of the week, and I feel like any good and virtuous leader will just kind of succeed, until they meet a tragic end to help establish some villain's villainy.

My one concrete plan is an extremely high tax on black textile dyes. Let the evil people pay for everything.

Davies

Legend
Somewhat daft idea for a hypothetical. How woukd you rule the Star Wars Galaxy?
Not a plus thread so my answer is -- don't. It's a foolish, hubristic ambition. All control is ultimately an illusion, and power a narcotic that inevitably kills its addicts. Let the galaxy do its own thing, and live your own best possible life.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'd turn it over to the Hutts. They seem good at running multicultural organizations, show an appreciation for music art and food, and know how to delegate effectively. I think two-legged bias has kept them from governance. We need to look past their corpulent, slug-like forms and see the incredible governors hidden within!

It's OK to admit you like Twi Lek ladies.
It's a galaxy built on plot convenience and moral clarity. Making specific plans seems illogical when whole planets or regions of planets come into existence to suit the plot need of the week, and I feel like any good and virtuous leader will just kind of succeed, until they meet a tragic end to help establish some villain's villainy.

My one concrete plan is an extremely high tax on black textile dyes. Let the evil people pay for everything.

Well yhat and Grey paint.

Remove ads