D&D General Origin of the name Stirge

MrZeddaPiras

[insert something clever]
It recently dawned on me that the Stirge monster from D&D seems to be related to the Strix, a creature from ancient Roman mythology "a bird of ill omen,(...), that fed on human flesh and blood" (Strix (mythology) - Wikipedia). The plural for Strix in English can be "Striges", and so I was wondering if perhaps Gygax or Arneson or whoever came up with the idea misspelled their notes back from the library, back in the '70. Anyone knows about how the monster was created?

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I've never seen anything from an early designer about where the idea came from, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was taken from Strix, they certainly leaned heavily on classical mythology. Neat!

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
That sounds reasonable, and the build of the Stirge is very in keeping with related terms like Strigoi. I don't know that it's related, but it sounds right.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
That sounds reasonable, and the build of the Stirge is very in keeping with related terms like Strigoi. I don't know that it's related, but it sounds right.
Wikipedia says that strigoi itself probably goes back to strix, so likely enough they are all related one way or another.

Eis

Explorer
It recently dawned on me that the Stirge monster from D&D seems to be related to the Strix, a creature from ancient Roman mythology "a bird of ill omen,(...), that fed on human flesh and blood" (Strix (mythology) - Wikipedia). The plural for Strix in English can be "Striges", and so I was wondering if perhaps Gygax or Arneson or whoever came up with the idea misspelled their notes back from the library, back in the '70. Anyone knows about how the monster was created?
if it were me I would say instead of misspelling I changed it to be easier to say but I can't claim that I know that one of those gentlemen would do that

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Bird of Ill omen” makes sense for the Stirge and yes Strigoi was applied in Romanian to Witches who took the form of screech owls and from that got a Vampire connection

Remove ads