'Origin' of Your User Name

Buttercup said:
I suppose most people have guessed this, but my name is from the movie, Princess Bride.

Mine also derives fromt he Princess Bride, though a little more obscurely. When the masked "Man in Black" is asked who he is he replies with the enigmatic "No one of consequence." I always thought it was a cool response and it's almost never taken on boards like this, so when people see it they know it's me.

Oubliette

First Post
I named myself afeter the best card (from a DM's perspective) in the Deck of Many Things. Of course, that's Donjon, not Oubliette, but I didn't have my DMG handy at the time.

When I ended my days of lurking, and signed up on Eric's messageboards a long time ago, the boards were teeming with animals such as Squirrel Nutkin and others. Thus this name seemed suitable and a name that would stand out.

Huitzilopochtli is the Aztec god of the Sun and war. His name - translated into English - is Left-handed Hummingbird.

The Aztecs believed that when a warrior died in the field of battle they would first serve the Sun for a couple of years; after that they would live forever as hummingbirds. The hummingbird is thus a symbol of the reincarnated spirits of the dead warriors. Huitzilopochtli's animal avatar was actually an eagle.

Last edited:

bwgwl

First Post
Aitch Eye said:
I wanted to use something from Cordwainer Smith's "Instrumentality" future history stories...
hey! don't see too many Cordwainer Smith fans around. that's cool -- and i never made the connection before. :)

i'm not very original. my screen name is my cat's name. :p

Agback

Explorer
G'day

It's a trophy of my first flamewar. I originally spelled it 'Silverback', but that was too long for a nick on IRC, hence the abbreviation.

Regards,

Agback

Aitch Eye

First Post
bwgwl said:

hey! don't see too many Cordwainer Smith fans around. that's cool -- and i never made the connection before. :)

i'm not very original. my screen name is my cat's name. :p

Don't feel too bad, Smith named several characters after his cats. Of course, those characters were themselves cats (or cat derived)...so I suppose, really, you'd have to use the name of someone having an unrequited relationship with your cat to be doing something all that similar. (Hopefully that's not an option.)

I figured that even Smith readers might not pick up on the name; it's nice to now know that there were at least two others on the boards that at least potentially could have. (Hiya to you as well, Lurks-no-More.)

Last edited:

arwink

Clockwork Golem
I hadn't had a chance to play a character instead of DM for about ten years. I got the chance about the same time I started signing on to various DnD boards. Arwin Khorstar seemed too long to type out every time I logged in, so I shortened it to arwink.

Remove ads