• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Orville: New Horizons (Spoilers)

Zardnaar

Legend
Things moved quickly, but I quite liked that. I watched the last episode of Stranger Things immediately after, and boy was it slow in comparison!

I liked it just was expecting more build up. That's on me though. It's not a complete 180 and they did make the Kaylons sympathetic.

briggart

Adventurer
I submit that The Orville doesn't think so. Because the message of S3 E9 was very much that, even in the face of annihilation, sticking to principles is the way to go.

You seem to assume that "protecting the life of trillions of citizens from total annihilation" is not a principle a government should stick to? This is not GOT, so I was expecting there would be a deus-ex to save the day, but it seems weird to me that so many people perceive this as a black-and-white issue, especially how the Kaylon threat was depicted in the show.

Arilyn

Hero
I don't think it was totally depicted as black and white. Charlie's and Gordon's feelings were made clear and relatable. Sticking to principles brought the Union to a hairsbredth of total disaster. Ultimately the right decisions were made because, like Star Trek, it is a show about optimism and doing the moral thing. This is the message of Orville, afterall. And it's damn good storytelling.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
...., but it seems weird to me that so many people perceive this as a black-and-white issue, especially how the Kaylon threat was depicted in the show.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty, nor Safety." - Dr. Benjamin Franklin

Last edited:

Remove ads