Orville: New Horizons (Spoilers)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I think that could have been an interesting counterpart to the episode used to humanize the Kaylon. Showing the horror which humanity is capable of when the wrong path is embraced would be a harsh mirror of who we are as a species, right before an episode discussing mass genocide.

Yeah. I think folks would find it harder to stand by Charlie if this had been the episode just before it, at least.

But, on the flip side, the last few episodes are already some pretty heavy stuff. If they had to cut one, this was probably the one to cut.

The big problem with the last couple of episodes is it makes this season's episodes 2 and 3 look really bad in comparison.

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
This season hit hard on pretty much every episode. where network TV trek had 24 eps to work with, there'd be a mix of hard and light eps. Not so with Orville. It's "This year, "every episode will make you cry."

And they did.

Part of what's making that work is season 1. I know we all had varying thoughts, but it was rough. One reason was back then, we had no investment into these characters, the setting, or politics. Now, by season 3, we're seeing all that groundwork pay off.

Argyle King

Legend
The big problem with the last couple of episodes is it makes this season's episodes 2 and 3 look really bad in comparison.

I think the early episodes show the progression of the crew. They also introduce more of a human element. Anecdotally, my experience has been that serving on a long tour of duty with a group looks more like Orville 1&2 than the pristine, prudish, and perfect atmosphere of later Treks.

I believe it is because we were introduced to a deeper and truer version (with faults and foibles) of who the characters were in the early seasons that the audience was able to cry, hate, laugh, love, and succeed vicariously through them.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
While I am enjoying this season, I think it is moving a bit too quickly. Lots of big things have been taking place, with dramatic swings in the narrative happening over a just a few months at most.

I think fewer episodes (10 vs 14) this season and the fact that this might be The Orville's final season contribute to this. I think they have had some stories they ultimately want to tell, and if this is their last chance to get them in, they are going to get them in. If we had a guaranteed two or three more seasons, these stories might progress at a less frantic pace. I guess in my head canon I have to pretend there are many "missing episodes" filling in the gaps.

Mallus

Legend
While I am enjoying this season, I think it is moving a bit too quickly. Lots of big things have been taking place, with dramatic swings in the narrative happening over a just a few months at most.
It's Babylon 5, Season 4 Syndrome.

I think Seth is trying to complete the major story arcs because it's not clear another season is coming. Though with all the good press this season is getting, I wouldn't bet against more New Horizons.

Stalker0

Legend
Though with all the good press this season is getting, I wouldn't bet against more New Horizons.
There will be likely two major factors:

1) Ratings: Press is great, but at the end of the day, are people watching the show? Sci FI is always expensive, and so you need great ratings to justify it. Orville ratings haven't always been great, hence the concern about cancellation.

2) Strange New Worlds: In some ways these shows are doing very similar things. So one executive calculus will be, can the Orville serve as a good competitor to SNW, or with SNW now "consuming that part of the genre", the Orville doesn't have the oomph to compete?

Ryujin

Legend
There will be likely two major factors:

1) Ratings: Press is great, but at the end of the day, are people watching the show? Sci FI is always expensive, and so you need great ratings to justify it. Orville ratings haven't always been great, hence the concern about cancellation.

2) Strange New Worlds: In some ways these shows are doing very similar things. So one executive calculus will be, can the Orville serve as a good competitor to SNW, or with SNW now "consuming that part of the genre", the Orville doesn't have the oomph to compete?
1) Orville is the only currently streaming show for which I have gone back and rewatched recently released episodes. I hope that translates to other viewers, as well.

2) That's a form of calculus that producers and network heads need to remove from the curriculum, in this reality of streaming. y\You aren't competing for a time slot anymore. You share an audience with other shows. If someone else's programme also breeds interest in yours then that's a good thing, not a bad thing.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
2) That's a form of calculus that producers and network heads need to remove from the curriculum, in this reality of streaming. y\You aren't competing for a time slot anymore. You share an audience with other shows. If someone else's programme also breeds interest in yours then that's a good thing, not a bad thing.

Yeah, Snarf even had a thread on this, and the overlap of fans of SNW and Orville was, if I recall correctly, quite large.

Remove ads