Orville: New Horizons (Spoilers)

Ryujin

Legend
Probably the biggest surprise was that Kaylon Prime did not get a chance to destroy the device. I mean that was the "obvious betrayal" that was setup as soon as Kaylon Prime joined their team, they would recover the device, Kaylon Prime would try to destroy it. Storytelling 101.

It was a nice change of pace that they didn't go that route.
Noble sacrifice always trumps sudden but inevitable betrayal, in Storytelling 101.

Argyle King

Legend
I was a bit behind. I watched Episode 8 (Midnight Blue) this morning.

Wow...

That's seriously one of the best TV episodes of any show that I've seen in a long time. It had touches of comedy with awkward romantic advances; the scenes on the colony reminded me of happy classic musicals; political intrigue; Dolly Parton; shuttle dogfights; and finally getting to see Bortus be the warrior badass that he's been advertised as since episode 1. I could go on.

I'm honestly impressed by the writing, pacing, and cinematography. Incredible episode.

I would dare to say that this one episode was better than entire movies produced by both contemporary Star Trek and contemporary Star Wars.

It even finished a story arc (with Klyden) started in season 1. I legitimately went from having disdain for a character to nearly crying in sympathy with/for them.

Orville started out as Seth McFarlane's love letter to Star Trek. It grew into a show which many (including myself) felt was a better Trek than what had been offered as ST. Now? It's still clearly inspired by Star Trek, but the Orville has established a name for itself as a sci-fi franchise standing on its own legs and own merits.

Phenomenal episode to continue what has been an incredible season.

Last edited:

Argyle King

Legend
I watched Episode 9. Very good episode.

I still think it was a little bit of a dip from E8 -but that's less a criticism of E9 and more of a highlight of how good E8 was.

Brief thoughts:
Even though Teleya is an antagonist, I've come to like her as a character more than Kelly. The skewed romance and animosity between her and Mercer reminds me of Tanis and Kitiara from Dragonlance.
Thus far, Orville tends to do large-scale battles very well. The dogfights throughout this season have me itching to start up another Edge of the Empire game.
Is Kaylon Prime an older unit? It seems to be less purely mechanical than the others. I'm not sure if that's only to serve needing a face for a TV show or if it indicates an actual difference from the average Kaylon.
I'm not sure that the Krill-Moclan alliance has the same menace as the Kaylons. If the show continues with more seasons, I'm curious to see what is presented as an ongoing threat or longer storyline.

Argyle King

Legend
I would assume that is the case.

I don't think the show is supposed to be about "menace".

Overall, no. But I do think that having some pressure put on the Union from an outside force added something to the show. Certainly, it wasn't the entire point of the show, but it was an element which added to it, much in the same way that Star Wars has the Empire or various Star Trek shows have had their villain of choice.

Overall, no. But I do think that having some pressure put on the Union from an outside force added something to the show. Certainly, it wasn't the entire point of the show, but it was an element which added to it, much in the same way that Star Wars has the Empire or various Star Trek shows have had their villain of choice.
The show will be wrapping up soon, and that probably means wrapping up the krill and moclan too. If the show gets renewed it will probably introduce a new threat.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Some of you may not be aware that there was supposed to be another episode this season that got cut for covid-schedule reasons. It was to have followed Season 3, Episode 8, "Midnight Blue", and has been released as a novella by Seth McFarlane, titled The Orville: Sympathy for the Devil. It is available for about $3 as an ebook from Amazon and Barnes and Noble. The audiobook is narrated by Bruce Boxlietner (who currently plays the President of the Union..

I haven't yet finished it, but... I find myself wondering if it got cut for more than just budget reasons, because...

...the entire first half of the novella watches a man, from infancy through his rise to commanding a Nazi concentration camp.

Argyle King

Legend
Some of you may not be aware that there was supposed to be another episode this season that got cut for covid-schedule reasons. It was to have followed Season 3, Episode 8, "Midnight Blue", and has been released as a novella by Seth McFarlane, titled The Orville: Sympathy for the Devil. It is available for about $3 as an ebook from Amazon and Barnes and Noble. The audiobook is narrated by Bruce Boxlietner (who currently plays the President of the Union..

I haven't yet finished it, but... I find myself wondering if it got cut for more than just budget reasons, because...

...the entire first half of the novella watches a man, from infancy through his rise to commanding a Nazi concentration camp.

I think that could have been an interesting counterpart to the episode used to humanize the Kaylon. Showing the horror which humanity is capable of when the wrong path is embraced would be a harsh mirror of who we are as a species, right before an episode discussing mass genocide.

Remove ads