Orville: New Horizons (Spoilers)

Ryujin

Legend
Not positive but I think he's been an American citizen for many years, not sure he even still has his Canadian citizenship.
Shatner never gave up his Canadian citizenship and never took American citizenship. He just lives there and owns a rather large property.

Arilyn

Hero
Shatner never gave up his Canadian citizenship and never took American citizenship. He just lives there and owns a rather large property.
OK. Just seemed to remember people here in Canada going, of course he became an American! 😂It was probably just gossip flying around.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Orville did the social commentary well the quality didn't suffer.

A few shows doing it overcompensate so are bad before they even land eg the trailer.

Problem is for every Orville or Sense 8 there's several bad to terrible shows quality wise.
I agree. I have to admit, I was getting a bit tired of the moclan story arc, but Episode 8 made it all worth it and feel necessary. I don't think that episode would have had the impact it did if they hadn't developed the characters and story as much as they did. I found the social commentary in Discovery more jarring while watching it. But thinking back, it wasn't any more emphasized than Orville. Probably less. But I just didn't feel as invested in the characters. Few of the story arcs in Discovery had the payoffs that Orville delivered. And, apparently unlike most Star Trek fans, I enjoyed Discovery. Not my favorite Star Trek by any means, but I was engaged enough to complete all seasons.

Mallus

Legend
I haven’t finished the final episode yet — didn’t notice it was almost 90 minutes long when I started it late last night — but much respect to Seth for going out on a classic TNG slice-of-life episode.

Also, the Kaylon Primarch announcing he’s leaving a small contingent to defend the homeworld and bringing the rest to Isaac’s wedding is the funniest thing in the entire show. Even funnier than the leg.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
prove you're not a MAGA troll"

We know you've left, but just to be clear, the only person to use the term "MAGA troll" was you.

All the rest of us said was that you weren't showing a whole lot of empathy for others. As in, maybe, if you felt a bit more for others, you'd see that their need for it exceeds your desire to not have to see it, and you might actually come to like that it is there, for the sake of others.

Zardnaar

Legend
I agree. I have to admit, I was getting a bit tired of the moclan story arc, but Episode 8 made it all worth it and feel necessary. I don't think that episode would have had the impact it did if they hadn't developed the characters and story as much as they did. I found the social commentary in Discovery more jarring while watching it. But thinking back, it wasn't any more emphasized than Orville. Probably less. But I just didn't feel as invested in the characters. Few of the story arcs in Discovery had the payoffs that Orville delivered. And, apparently unlike most Star Trek fans, I enjoyed Discovery. Not my favorite Star Trek by any means, but I was engaged enough to complete all seasons.

Discovery had a decent pilot and got better season 1-3. At least until season 4 happened. It's better than a few treks season 1 eg TNG, Voyager and by a few accounts Enterprise. I couldn't finish season 1 of TNG or Voyager they were that bad

They didn't do that much social commentary wise like Orville.

Isaac inviting all the Kaylon was funny along with Bortus and his mates chase scene. Well Bortus in general.

Orville didn't really have a bad season and it's dud episodes weren't to bad.

Wasn't a great season final but was good enough. If the show ends there it's complete enough.

Just stop with your ruleslawyering. You're basically arguing the equivalent of saying a show about cops and robbers can suddenly become a teen drama and that's okay as long as it never specifically promises cops or robbers on the tin. You come across as trying to win an argument just for winning's sake.

This show pretty clearly did a huge change, doubling down on personal stories and social commentary in S3. It is an unwelcome shift for me. A show should not forget a personal touch (which is why Strange New Worlds is already superior to Discovery), but almost entirely dumping the central conceit of the show just to explore basic humanity? It is preachy and predictable. It isn't new, it isn't exciting. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I disagree to what is preached, it's that I simply don't need that in my entertainment.
This show started out as a comedy. If you were to try and argue that session 3 was lacking in jokes, then you might have a valid point (although the last episode tried to make up for that a bit).

And your example is a bad one. there are a great many TV shows that feature police that do not primarily focus on solving crime.

Last edited:

Remove ads