• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] 2002 World Cup, part 2

Berandor

lunatic
Hi!

This is a sequel to the first thread which reached 200 posts.

Congrats to the U.S.! That was totally unexpected for me...
Brazil had a hard time, but they defeated Belgium nonetheless.

Newsflash:
A korean player has stated that louis Figo proposed to play for a draw at the beginning of the second half... which would have eliminated USA.

http://english.pravda.ru/main/2002/06/17/30497.html

Berandor
now looking forward to Japan/Korea

Last edited:

Yuan-Ti

First Post
Berandor said:

Newsflash:
A korean player has stated that louis Figo proposed to play for a draw at the beginning of the second half... which would have eliminated USA.

After the second Portuguese player was sent off they showed on German television a player talking to the Korean captain and speculated the same day that he was trying to convince him to tell his team to play for the draw. His body language certainly suggested that was what he was suggesting, especially considering the timing.

Tsk, tsk.

But I doubt FIFA will do anything about it. After all, Rivaldo had to pay less than $8000 after his incredibly unsportsmanlike performance against Turkey.

Blackthorne

First Post
Congratulations to the U.S....I really didn´t expect this. I saw Mexico vs. Italy, in which the Mexicans dominated the whole match.

But, of course, you are going to get your a$$es handed to you next friday. ;-)

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
And this, my International friends, is why there should be sudden death over time and no ties in high level tournament play even if that is the normal way a sport is played at lower levels. Just my opinion. And, yes, it is possible to throw a game completely to get your own team eliminated but it prevents some possible collusion like what is being alledged now. Anyway...

USA! USA! USA! ;)

(How the hell did we even make it through the first round...? :D )

ninthcouncil

First Post
Have you seen the possession stats for the England games?

Argentina had 67% of the ball. And lost.
Denmark had 61% of the ball. And lost. Convincingly.

Brazil better be worried if we get more than 40% of the play :D

kamosa

Explorer
Agreed!

Brazil won't waste it's chances against England. However, Brazil has looked suspect on defense and England has looked deadly on the attack, when it had posession.

I think it will be a great game.

Berandor

lunatic
Brazil vs. England will be great, no doubt.
But I'll wager the two asian countries will have nice games tomorrow, too - especially Korea vs. Italy.

And all speculations wether or not Portugal wanted to cheat are for naught, because Korea showed real character and beat them nonetheless :)

I can't stand the two days break between 1/8 and 1/4.

B

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads