[OT-Rant] What is UP with Talon Comics??

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Serious illness in his immediate family, and all the troubles that come with that. :( Derek's a good friend and a nice guy; I'm glad he's resolving issues by phone.

Paladin

Explorer
Have a little patience please...

The last two months have been EXTREMELY difficult on Derek, there's a lot of things that happened to him all at once. I don't really want to go into too much detail, but I can guarantee if any of us were going through the same things, he'd have patience with us - so I'm just asking for everyone to do the same with him. On the e-mail, he's had some computer problems too, as well as snail-mail problems (like I said, a LOT of stuff has gone wrong) so please give him some slack. Derek is not trying to screw anyone on their orders, refunds, etc. He really is not having an easy time.

At the same time we were trying to launch our business on his site, things started their rapid plunge downhill. I know we've probably gotten a lot slower start than we would've if we'd gotten online a month sooner, but we're still staying patient. Please join me in this endeavor.

Anyone who hasn't heard from Derek and needs to get an answer on something, please e-mail me and I'll contact him for you.

BadMojo

First Post
Piratecat said:
Serious illness in his immediate family, and all the troubles that come with that. :( Derek's a good friend and a nice guy; I'm glad he's resolving issues by phone.

I only know him from ENWorld and from the various times I've ordered stuff from him, but he definitely seems like a good guy.

He was very helpful and friendly on the phone. Actually, I've spoken to him a few times over a long period of time and he's always been extremely friendly and polite.

Paladin

Explorer
Paladinwife here...I just want all of you out there to know how I feel...as a close personal friend of Derek's, I can't believe that people who have trusted him all of this time cannot find it in their hearts to be a little more patient, a little longer. I realize some of you out there have been waiting a while for things to happen on his end, and believe me they are slowly coming back into place for him and he is finally trying to catch up on everything...he's behind on orders and e-mail and everything else, but he's trying like hell to get it all back together for himself. Please, if you have a heart, give the guy a break, don't push him over the edge by taking away any business you would normally throw his way, he's been good to all of you all of these years, show him you trust him and are standing behind him...thank you

Paladinwife, I am trying to be understanding. But I'm going through problems of my own. I'm taking night classes, and spent over $225 on books and tuition--and that's at the community college level. I had to pay for my car registration, and that's another $135 down the drain. I have to save up for a $1,200 car insurance bill due in December. I'm paying out $190 a month toward my student loans. I'm paying $350 a month toward my car loan. (I could sell my car and try to get a cheaper car, but as I figured it, I'd end up going from a $2,500 remaining loan to a $6,500 loan after I'd bought an older car. Definitely not worth it.)

And this is all after six months of unemployment. My unemployment insurance money cuts off this Saturday. Even with the insurance, that's still only about $8 an hour, down from a net of about $14 an hour at my last job. So not only did I have a HUGE income drop, but now I have no income to speak of. I have three interviews within the next week or so, and if those don't pan out, I am going to have to scrape by. I might survive for the next two or three months, but that means no luxuries.

We're only talking about $100-$150 here. But that is about 2/3 of a month's food. I'd kind of like to eat. It's kind of a necessity.

And I HAVE been very patient. It's been, what?, three months? I only email him about once a month, so it shouldn't be so onerous. I completely understand his situation, and have supported him in previous rants. His business is excellent, the best I've dealt with so far. His discounts are significant, he doesn't charge taxes, and if you buy enough you don't have to pay shipping. That all added up to savings of up to 30% compared to what I'd pay at retail stores. That's bloody marvelous. That meant I could buy about 40% more from him than I could from a local store.

I'd say that, if I ever get back into RPGs again, I'd buy from him again. He's been great to do business with.

If it weren't for the stomach-growling thing, I'd keep letting him slide. I'm sorry, I'm weak. :(

Paladin

Explorer
Heretic Apostate,
I wasn't responding directly to you, I was only trying to explain my disappointment in the way Derek has been slammed on the boards lately...please read the e-mail we sent you though, it might help.

As for everyone else who is looking at this, I'm not trying to be nasty, just wanted to let you all know that Derek does run this business by himself...there are no employees to help him catch up or keep up with stuff. He isn't a millionaire or anything and usually sends the money he gets for orders straight to the book companies for reserving books (I think they are being tight lately with releases so they don't get themselves messed up either).

He definately isn't trying to steal from anyone, and when I spoke with him just now, he seemed upset that people out there might be considering that he is...anyway, Paladin and I are going over this weekend to help him get things caught back up, and since he can't respond to this board right now, if you need something, like Paladin said, just e-mail us and we'll get an answer ASAP.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Ashtal said:
Derek from Talon Comics cannot read these boards, so posting here is pretty pointless.

No it isn't.

It warns people about the habbits of retailers.

I often warn people about NewWave for example. I don't care if they read it. It's not for NewWave.

DerianCypher

First Post
Okay,

I understand how people can get angry about their orders being late, or not arriving at all. Put yourself in his position. Your running a business that's going along pretty well and you find out that your wife/husband has come down with a debilitating disease. Your family life starts completely taking over and your business is getting neglected. Then people start making comments to ruin your so far good reputation and hurt any chances of income to help out.

I understand that situations are hard all around, but if your having it tough you should understand. I would just ask that people continue to be patient, and if you have a problem perhaps it would be better to bring it to his attention? Like Paladin and Paladinwife said earlier, his computer has taken a dump and he can't read ENWorld. Have you tried calling him? If don't want to seem like your pestering, call anyway! I'm sure he has so much on his mind that he may forget, and is probably thankfull for the reminder. Also, it'll help him comfirm with you that your order has gone and and give you an expected day to get it.

Now, I just recently ordered a gamer's bag from Talon Comics and Paladin. Things were a little bit bumpy (as can be expected from a new business [Gamers bag, not Talon Comics]) but I had constant contact with Paladin and Derrek. Things went smoothly and I got my product in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm not asking that you excuse the extreme times for your orders, but I am asking that you be patient and get in contact with him through the phone. His number is on his web page.

DC

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
I know this post will do little to boost my popularity at ENWorld, but I felt this needed to be said:

Actually, the problems he's had/having are his, not his customers. It's unrealistic to expect customers to wait 3 months or more without screaming and bitching, no matter what the circumstances might be. Unless Derek's dead, he should be filling and shipping orders in a timely manner. He will likely lose a fair amount of business over this, and that's his fault, not anyone else's.

I don't mean to sound heartless or unsympathetic, I'm very sorry to hear about his wife's medical condition. I'm just saying that the reactions customers are having are natural and more importantly, justified. I would be pissed-off too if I had an order placed with him and hadn't received it within a week or two and couldn't get any answer or a refund.

I had ordered from Derek before and he failed to send out my order when he said he would not once, but twice. I got my order a week or two after my local game store got in the items (and they are slow as hell). This was at least six months ago, presumably before the troubles started. Other than the tardy delivery, his service was good and he seemed friendly and helpful.

It's tough being a small businessman, I know, but customers will only tolerate so many disappointments before taking their business elsewhere. You can't expect them to "put themselves in your shoes". And why can't he answer his email? He could go rent time on a computer somewhere like Kinko's or an internet cafe, or borrow a friend's. Going months without having internet/email is nobody's fault but his.

Last edited:

laiyna

First Post
I got some Talon Facts here:

1) He does read if he wants his mail I know its working fine.

2) I spend over 20 dollars on phone-bills alone to call him a few times. All promises made where not fulfilled.

3) To get your money back from the insurance of your credit card it needs to be asked for withing 1 month after buying the product.

I would have been more patient if he did replay to his mail. To be fair if he did replay and would say its gone take 2 months I prob would have sayed: sure.....

But the fact is he does not replay to mail, he does promise things but does not keep them. If this one order I placed with him did work out oke he would have had a regular costumer and I'm a big spended on d20 products (200 to 400 dollars per month). But this is just going to far. And is highly unprofesional.

Laiyna

Remove ads