• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OT - Sony Playstation 2

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I'm with the Doc on this one. No voice acting sucks. I don't need much, and I certainly don't need long, lame, poorly acted movie sequences that i can't skip past like FFX. But heck give each character 3 or 4 battle cries, like the balders gate/icewind dale games for your PC. "looks like its time to go on a killing spree"

Story sequences I'm fine with reading, though a well done spoken sequence is better. Absoluetly no voice acting is crap done on the cheap.

Mallus

Legend
Shard O'Glase said:
Absoluetly no voice acting is crap done on the cheap.

...unless its an artistic choice made by the games designers.

The first console RPG I played was "Skies of Arcadia" on my Dreamcast --I was strictly a PC gamer for many moons. Its a beautiful, sprawling game which certainly wasn't done "on the cheap". If you have access to a Dreamcast I heartily recommend playing it. Great game. And its got no voice acting...

You might ask why designers might would intentionally choose to go text-only. And I might reply --its got something to do w/rendering the characters more iconic, more easily indentifyable, like cartoon characters.

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
Mallus said:
The first console RPG I played was "Skies of Arcadia" on my Dreamcast --I was strictly a PC gamer for many moons. Its a beautiful, sprawling game which certainly wasn't done "on the cheap". If you have access to a Dreamcast I heartily recommend playing it. Great game. And its got no voice acting...

It's coming out for GameCube in January (and will likely cause me to get a GameCube).

Incidentally, I think the 'no voice acting' thing for consoles which don't use full-sized DVD media may be a space concern; you didn't see voice acting even on three and four CD PSX RPGs. Dreamcast GDs are about 1 GB; GameCube mini-DVDs are somewhere between 1.5 GB and 3 GB. The PS2 can play games on CD (650 MB), single-layer DVD (4.5 GB), or double-layer DVD (9 GB); all Xbox games are on double-layer DVDs.

Ristamar

Adventurer
drothgery said:

It's coming out for GameCube in January (and will likely cause me to get a GameCube).

Indeed. I never got to play the DC version, so I'm really looking forward to this one...

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
drothgery said:

I personally like the Gamecube. Its easily worth the money. A goodly number of my friends here in Philadelphia are hooked on Animal Crossing. And Metroid Prime....And last but not least, Super Monkey Ball!

And Skies really is brilliant. After years of CRPG's, I finally saw the charm of their console brethren.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads