[OT] WotC loses Pokemon license

jdavis

First Post
Darkness said:
This, of course. :cool:

That will definatly require more than a couple of tables at the gaming store for kids to battle it out. It'd turn all the 8 to 10 year olds into Lil Pattons, they could duke it out in the parking lots, and of course nobody would ever call them wusses again.

JohnBrown

First Post
As I understand it, and that by no means says that I know what I am talking about, WoTC will put one or two more sets of pokeman cards and then they are done. Is the pokeman craze over? Yes. Does WoTC wish D&D made anywhere near what pokeman still makes? Yes. In the relatively short run of pokeman, it probably made more money than the entire 20+ year history of D&D. In the US, there were three bad pokeman movies released to only one D&D movie :)

frankthedm

First Post
KenM said:
From what I understand, Pokemon was one of the main reason Hasbro aquired Wizards, it was a big money maker for them, going to be interesting to see what happens with this.

Wizards has a a few months to start earning the money it was through the pokemon licence. Failure to do so means LOTS of lay-offs from ALL departments. If the Plastic mini game for D&D doesn't become the next big thing this fall wotc may be a sacrifice on the Altar of Profits. And you will be AMAZED at what Hasbro's Lawyers will do to the SRD.

Utrecht

First Post
frankthedm said:

Wizards has a a few months to start earning the money it was through the pokemon licence. Failure to do so means LOTS of lay-offs from ALL departments. If the Plastic mini game for D&D doesn't become the next big thing this fall wotc may be a sacrifice on the Altar of Profits. And you will be AMAZED at what Hasbro's Lawyers will do to the SRD.

Why is it that everytime some sort of bad news comes out people predict/insinuate the demise of WoTC. Afterall, while Pokemon may have had Revenues of 40 million - what was the profit on the line???? That is the number that we should focus on.

Also, based off of the various discussions that the lawyers on the board have had, it would be next to impossible for Hasbro to put the SRD genie back into the bottle - much to the betterment of the entire hobby.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
JohnBrown said:
In the relatively short run of pokeman, it probably made more money than the entire 20+ year history of D&D. In the US, there were three bad pokeman movies released to only one D&D movie :)

Pokemon: The First Movie $85,744,662 gross $30 million to produce
Pokemon: The Movie 2000 $43,758,684 gross $30 million to produce
Pokemon 3: The Movie $17,052,128 gross $16 million to produce
Pokemon 4Ever $1,727,447 gross NA to produce
D&D $15,220,685 gross $40 million to produce

Source from Box Office Mojo.

I don't know if these include foreign dollar figures, or sales figures from DVD/VHS.

I wonder what the cumulative gross on Pokemon card sales have been for Wizards?

Remove ads