D&D 5E Other Strength-based / Constitution-based Skills?

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
It already is. Your proficiency in weapons IS your skill with them.

What is wrong IMO is the generic simple and martial broad groups. As the OP, I can tell you we moved to individual weapon proficiencies (skills as such) a while ago, before I posted this thread. So, for example, Fighters know 4 weapons, and a background can add up to 2 weapons as well.
no room for Stat-Based or Overall skill Levels?

It already is. Your proficiency in weapons IS your skill with them.

What is wrong IMO is the generic simple and martial broad groups. As the OP, I can tell you we moved to individual weapon proficiencies (skills as such) a while ago, before I posted this thread. So, for example, Fighters know 4 weapons, and a background can add up to 2 weapons as well.
100%. I did some work on that as well :p
We are very much on the same wavelength! Incorporated/inspired from 2.5e.
After my current campaign, I'm gonna put the new system into play.

Just to point out something that always bothered me: there are no bodybuilders winning olympic swimming competitions - no swimming medalist packs on muscularity like Arnold S. (aka Conan) - it was always a mistake to attribute the skill of swimming to strength and, considering the intense cardiovascular training involved in swimming, Swimming as skill IMHO should rely on Constitution.

I like Running as a skill relying upon CON too - makes sense to me as it too is cardio intensive.
I think the issue there is associating high-strength characters with bodybuilders like Arnold. Remember that bodybuilders concentrate on aesthetics over functional power and the reason that some of the combats in Conan looked a little awkward is that he is literally "musclebound". - As in, so overdeveloped in some areas that he did not have the flexibility to perform some of the techniques.
(Also note that flexibility appears to be mostly a trait of Strength in 5e.)

Adventuring high-strength heroes are likely to look sleeker, less top-heavy, and more generally athletic. Think strongman competitors or many performing shaolin monks or Bruce Lee rather than Mr Schwarzenegger.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
100%. I did some work on that as well :p
We are very much on the same wavelength! Incorporated/inspired from 2.5e.
After my current campaign, I'm gonna put the new system into play.
We've been doing it for a few months, nearly half a year. Works fine IMO. Most characters have 2-4 weapons they use and rarely change them unless it is due to find a magical weapon they didn't know (in which case some downtime training earns proficiency).

5E is very nice in some ways, but IMO went way too far down the "simplicity road".

We toyed around with weapon specialization a la AD&D but decided against it. However, each character does choose a "focus" at 1st level: Abilities (all ability checks), Combat (Attack rolls/ AC), Magic (Spell Attack rolls/ Save DC), which begins at +1, increases to +2 at 7th, and +3 at 14th levels. Most fighter-types take combat focus, gaining that bonus to attack rolls, although half-casters might pick magic or even abilities sometimes...

le Redoutable

I am not sure I understand. All skills are stat-based in 5E, and I don't know what you mean by "Overall skill Levels".
well, there are Individual Weapon Proficiencies, Stat-Based Proficiencies, and Overall Proficiencies
Overall means it affects all Stats at once :)
( I take this from Champions 4th Ed )

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
well, there are Individual Weapon Proficiencies, Stat-Based Proficiencies, and Overall Proficiencies
Overall means it affects all Stats at once :)
( I take this from Champions 4th Ed )
Individual Weapon Proficiencies in our house-rules / homebrew, yes. In 5E as written, no; there are only simple weapons and martial weapons as groups.

Skills, Kits, Tools, etc. are Ability ("stat")-Based, yes.

Overall Proficiencies (still not sure since I never played 4th Ed) I do not think so.

le Redoutable

Individual Weapon Proficiencies in our house-rules / homebrew, yes. In 5E as written, no; there are only simple weapons and martial weapons as groups.

Skills, Kits, Tools, etc. are Ability ("stat")-Based, yes.

Overall Proficiencies (still not sure since I never played 4th Ed) I do not think so.
it is Champions RPG ( Hero Rules )

I am tweaking the skill system a bit, and have the following skill set at present, which I am mostly happy with:

Strength (broken down Athletics, adding Lifting)
  • Climbing
  • Jumping
  • Lifting
Constitution
  • Endurance
  • Running
  • Swimming
Dexterity
  • Acrobatics
  • Sleight of Hand
  • Stealth
Intelligence
  • Insight
  • Investigation
  • Perception
Wisdom
  • Animal Handling
  • Healing (replaces Medicine as the practical skill instead of knowledge)
  • Survival
Charisma
  • Influence (combined Deception / Persuasion)
  • Intimidation
  • Performance

I would like to reconstitute Athletics (Climbing, Jumping, Swimming), but I would need another Strength-based skill (for Climbing and Jumping) and a replacement Constitution-based skill (for swimming).

For Strength I was thinking something like a Power-move-type skill, and Constitution maybe a "Resistance" skill (After all, "I spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder.").

Any thoughts?

EDIT: UPDATED per suggestions:

Strength
  • Athletics (climb, jump, sprint, swim)
  • Brawn (lift, break, carry)
  • Grapple (grapple, shove instead of Athletics)
Constitution
  • Endurance
  • Running (sprinting is separate, so this might be redundant with Endurance...?)
  • Tolerance (vs. foreign contaminants such as alcohol, drugs, poison--might replace those CON saves?)

Are you tripling the number of skill proficiencies PCs get as well?

Remove ads