• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Other than vaguely European medieval fantasy...

Herobizkit

Adventurer
IMO, it's time to get out of the medieval and move on to the Renaissance. I've read and thoroughly enjoyed Etherscope, which can best be described as a Shadowrun-type setting set in the Victorian era. Steampunk technology is used liberally throughout the setting, and the Ether is akin to the "Matrix". Awesome read.

This wild amalgamation makes my heart all aflutter. Alas, I must spread some dignitas around....
What can I say? I've never been a fan of strict genre fences. I'm rather a fan of throwing in everything that I think is cool and then figuring out after that how it all is supposed to fit together.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
What can I say? I've never been a fan of strict genre fences. I'm rather a fan of throwing in everything that I think is cool and then figuring out after that how it all is supposed to fit together.
This is my preferred DMing style as well. It doesn't always work, but when it does, hoo-ahh! :)

nedjer

Adventurer
Did Mesoamerica feature anywhere in there? Set aside all the Mayan Prophecies cobblers and it's a great tropical nightmare backdrop. For the keen - David Drew's The Lost Chronicles of the Maya Kings is stuffed with background material.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You want something different? Try YT fantasy.

Not something recent and über-popular like the Harry Potter or Golden Compass books, but rather, one of the classics.

OK, Narnia has been done recently, so it may be too familiar to some of your players. OTOH, not every Narnia book has been given the big-screen treatment, so there is some room there to forge your own narrative.

Consider other classics, though. CS Lewis' other main series, the Perelandra books, could be interesting in an Eberron framework.

Or look at Madeline' L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time series...or Norton Juster's Phantom Tollbooth.

Heck, you could even get some milage out of the lesser known Oz books.

pawsplay

Hero
You want something different? Try YT fantasy.

Not something recent and über-popular like the Harry Potter or Golden Compass books, but rather, one of the classics.

OK, Narnia has been done recently, so it may be too familiar to some of your players. OTOH, not every Narnia book has been given the big-screen treatment, so there is some room there to forge your own narrative.

Consider other classics, though. CS Lewis' other main series, the Perelandra books, could be interesting in an Eberron framework.

Or look at Madeline' L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time series...or Norton Juster's Phantom Tollbooth.

Heck, you could even get some milage out of the lesser known Oz books.

Don't forge Diane Duane's Young Wizards books, or Tamora Pierce's fantasy series.

You know other than vaguely European medieval fantasy might be vaguely American contemporary fantasy or vaguely science-fiction futuristic fantasy.
That's not too unlike what I've got. I've got a vaguely American Old Western fantasy in one part of the world, and a vaguely Caribbean Golden Age of Piracy in another part. With vaguely Arabian Nights-like Barbary pirates encroaching from the east.

And with sabertooths and mammoths and stuff all over the place.

Remove ads