Owen Stephens Continues 'Real Game Industry' Posts

I've been collecting together the Real Game Industry posts that game designer Owen KC Stephens has been posting on social media. You can see Part 1 here, and Part 2 here. Full-time writing, developing, or producing in the TTRPG field means regularly having to create great, creative ideas, that fit specific pre-determined parameters, on command, whether you feel like it or not. This can be...

I've been collecting together the Real Game Industry posts that game designer Owen KC Stephens has been posting on social media. You can see Part 1 here, and Part 2 here.

starfinder.jpg

• Full-time writing, developing, or producing in the TTRPG field means regularly having to create great, creative ideas, that fit specific pre-determined parameters, on command, whether you feel like it or not. This can be awesome and fulfilling... or awful.
  • The board of GAMA, the Game Manufacturers Association, (the big non-profit trade organization for the hobby games industry) are unpaid volunteers with what time they can spare from trying to survive the harsh industry itself.
  • Most TTrpg professionals get a lot more hate mail than praise or notes that their work is appreciated. BUT Those few notes hold a LOT more weight, per-word, than the ranting and whining. One person letting me they enjoyed a thing gets through 2-3 weeks of bile.
  • No one, not any analyst, not any company, knows how many total copies of ttRPGs are actually selling in a given week, month, or year. Some big companies don't know the numbers for their OWN ttRPGs. Popular "rankings" are a compilation of unverified impressions.
  • Even when I just had a couple of Dragon credits and no one knew me; at game pro gatherings I was NEVER asked if my girlfriend got me into gaming. Or if I was just there with a date. Which has repeatedly happened to women colleagues with decades of experience.
  • When ttRPG professionals get to play RPGs together entirely for fun, the level of Ghostbusters and LotR quotes, bad puns, digressions to discuss recent movies and look at pet pictures, and fart jokes... is EXACTLY the same as when it's just fans playing. :D
  • When a ttRPG professional makes a statement that is unpopular with a segment of fans there is always a group who, with no evidence, begin discussions to claim A: The pro is incompetent, B: the pro is lying to gain attention or sympathy, or C: all of the above.
  • It is not unusual for ttRPG professional who like each other, and enjoy hanging out together, and live no more than 20 miles apart, to only see each other 1-2 times a year and only at after-hours gatherings during major conventions.
  • The most common retirement plan among full-time ttRPG professionals, freelance and on-staff both, is "Work until you die."
  • People who constantly struggle to have enough money to cover basic needs, with no job security, while being bombarded with community demands to do more, be better, and make games just for love and not money... are generally too stressed to make their best games.
  • In ttRPG industry, you will find both employees who think the very games that cover their paycheck are "dumb," and CEOs who will move a meeting out of the executive boardroom so you can play a game there. But I've met many more of the latter than the former.
  • Amazon sometimes sells ttRPG items cheaper than retailers can get from distributors. No one admits to selling them to Amazon at this price. Either Amazon is taking a loss (perfectly possible), or there's a hole in a distribution tier. This pisses off retailers.
  • When a ttRPG pro makes a change or comment regarding the real-world impact of game themes or ideas, people come out of the woodwork to strongly present their view (in the real world) that real-world concerns (presumably like theirs) should not impact the game.
  • Some ttRPG storylines, setting, themes, & even rules concepts are so tainted by racism, bigotry, and sexism that they cannot be redeemed. Even revised versions serve as a dogwhistle to toxic fans. There's no broad agreement about for which concepts this is true.
  • Much less professional material from the big and well-known ttRPG companies is playtested than you thought, and playtesting takes more time and effort than you thought. Much more material from tiny 3pp- and Indy ttRPG companies is playtested than you thought.
  • One advantage of being an established ttRPG freelancer is you can get as much work as you want. Of course most of it doesn't pay enough, so you now have the option of working 60-70-80 hour weeks to make ends meet. But unlike some folks, you DO have that option.
  • You don't HAVE to have a spouse with good benefits and insurance to be a full-time freelancer in the ttRPG industry. But it's the most common answer on how to survive doing so.
  • If you write work-for-hire on a ttRPG in the US, you can expected your work to be edited. Usually with no consultation or warning. You'll find out when the book is published. That's normal. For everyone.
  • The more mainstream a ttRPG is, the more competition there is for jobs to design for it. For staff jobs, you're often one of several hundred applicants. Sometimes one of thousands. Of course, this also means you seem easily replaceable, even if it's not true.
  • While doing contract work for a ttRPG company occasionally leads to a staff position, this is very much the exception rather than the norm. Especially if you don't already have many years of experience. It's normally a stepping stone, not a quick route in.

Dire Bare

Legend
Again Owen, thanks for the nuggets of reality in our hobby.

• The most common retirement plan among full-time ttRPG professionals, freelance and on-staff both, is "Work until you die."
  • People who constantly struggle to have enough money to cover basic needs, with no job security, while being bombarded with community demands to do more, be better, and make games just for love and not money... are generally too stressed to make their best games.
  • You don't HAVE to have a spouse with good benefits and insurance to be a full-time freelancer in the ttRPG industry. But it's the most common answer on how to survive doing so.

Not to detract from Owen's statements, but this is true for any career in the arts. It's incredibly difficult to make enough money to live comfortably and responsibly prepare for retirement. On one hand, why should we consider artistic pursuits as full-time work rather than part-time interests? On the other, the products of artistic expression can generate a lot of money, which often gets claimed by those other than the artists themselves. Our society values art, but undervalues and takes advantage of artists. And yes, game design is art. Fight me.
  • When a ttRPG pro makes a change or comment regarding the real-world impact of game themes or ideas, people come out of the woodwork to strongly present their view (in the real world) that real-world concerns (presumably like theirs) should not impact the game.
  • Some ttRPG storylines, setting, themes, & even rules concepts are so tainted by racism, bigotry, and sexism that they cannot be redeemed. Even revised versions serve as a dogwhistle to toxic fans. There's no broad agreement about for which concepts this is true.

Especially right now. This is happening in several threads right here on ENWorld at the moment. The latest is fans questioning the recent testimony of game designer Orion Black, a former WotC employee.

univoxs

That's my dog, Walter
Supporter
I have asked quite a few authors, both of ttrpgs and of novels about buying from Amazon or B&N and whether they would like me to buy from a different source. The answer I have always received is sort of "w/e you want". If I am not mistaken, this is usually because creators that are not self publishing have already been paid and where it gets sold from at that point does not matter? The deals made between creator and publisher assuredly vary but if anyone has a light to shine on that, I would appreciate it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I have asked quite a few authors, both of ttrpgs and of novels about buying from Amazon or B&N and whether they would like me to buy from a different source. The answer I have always received is sort of "w/e you want". If I am not mistaken, this is usually because creators that are not self publishing have already been paid and where it gets sold from at that point does not matter? The deals made between creator and publisher assuredly vary but if anyone has a light to shine on that, I would appreciate it.
I can’t speak for anybody else, but we make more money when people buy directly directly from our website. But that’s speaking as the publisher. That said, we’re happy when somebody buys our stuff from anywhere.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)

Might depend on how closely related to the publisher they are and if said publisher has its own sales outlet. If they’re freelance, they might care a bit less than if they’re a permanent employee of the publisher. They also might have ideas about supporting the local FLGS (or not). Honestly, there are a lot of variables potentially in play.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Great article. I wish I'd been nicer to game developers over the years. Not that I was mean, I just wish i'd thanked them more.

Hell, I've been mean. I don't have much remorse for the people I was mean to, or any regret that I won't be working with them in the future, but I hate to think about all the bridges I'll never know I burned because the people I was mean to had friends of their own... or because uninvolved third parties rightfully judged my character based on how I treated people whom I wrongfully felt didn't deserve courtesy.

I'm not worried about losing work as a freelancer, because I never was any good at working for other people-- but there are a lot of industry veterans that I admire the hell out of, and I hope I haven't already lost any chance of working with them for striving to always be the second-biggest naughty word in the room.

There are fields that attract large numbers of aspiring creators with the promise of engaging work doing something they love. These fields almost all pay poorly, for the simple reason there are a great many people willing to do them, and only a finite amount of money people are willing to spend on the products they create.

This is not new. While I sympathize with the frustration expressed by people struggling in those industries, I do have to wonder what they expected. Did they really think being an RPG designers would be a normal job, with the security and long-term benefits of an insurance adjuster or city planner?

And if this an unjust state of affairs, If we want most RPG designers, novelists, musicians, theatre directors, etc. to make a living wage, then we the consumers better be prepared to pay more - a lot more - for those experiences. How many more RPG books would need to be sold, and how much more would publishers need to charge for them, to afford even 100 people in the world secure, long-term middle-class livelihoods in the industry?

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads